Ghost

axlslash

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Saw them in Leeds last night.

First time they're playing arenas in England (To my knowledge).

Fantastic.

One of my favourite gigs this year.

Wow! Ghost playing arenas! That's awesome. I did see the play American Airlines, but they opened for Iron Maiden.  Ghost has a huge following in Dallas. For a band that gets no radio play at all, they have many fans here.

I only discovered them about a year ago! Absolutely love it. 

And their Dance Macabre / Square Hammer ending of shows is like Nightrain / Paradise City - the strongest hits at the end. 

The video that made me fall in love with the band (Papa E. in particular) was Square Hammer live Berlin 2017. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 4:34 AM, jamillos said:

And their Dance Macabre / Square Hammer ending of shows is like Nightrain / Paradise City - the strongest hits at the end. 

The video that made me fall in love with the band (Papa E. in particular) was Square Hammer live Berlin 2017. 

I know I’m in the minority here, but I much prefer The ending to the show now that they’ve dropped Monstrance Clock. Every Ghost show I saw up until Sydney this year they’d finished with that, and it’s not exactly one of my favorite Ghost songs, and I found it to be a bit of a downer ending. But Dance Macabre right into Square Hammer hits like a ton of bricks, it’s perfect. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I know I’m in the minority here, but I much prefer The ending to the show now that they’ve dropped Monstrance Clock. Every Ghost show I saw up until Sydney this year they’d finished with that, and it’s not exactly one of my favorite Ghost songs, and I found it to be a bit of a downer ending. But Dance Macabre right into Square Hammer hits like a ton of bricks, it’s perfect. 

Funny when you think about it. They used to open with SH, and now they're closing with it. Imagine Paradise City being the opener... :D

On 11/28/2019 at 7:23 AM, Powerage5 said:

Never a fan of Monstrance Clock. Tobias would always say it's about a woman's organsim, but honestly, I never got that from the song. Maybe I'm dense. lol Anyway, yeah, good they dropped that song.

On 26. 11. 2019 at 10:34 AM, jamillos said:

I should add though that the first thing that I ever heard and that intrigued me was the song Rats. The melodies. It's always been about the melodies. Only afterwards I saw Square Hammer and Papa himself. There are probably many bands that would love to reach where Ghost is, but they don't get the whole melody and harmony concept. 

The album before Rats is amazing too. That was the first tour I saw them on and I was hooked then. I did see them open for A7X about 8 years ago, but the sound system sucked and Papa walked off the stage. The Deftones and A7X's sound was amazing, so it must have been their sound person. I'm sure he was fired. 

The other times I've seen Ghost they have headlined. They do put on one amazing show.

This guy:
- is talented
- writes powerful melodic songs 
- apparently has a great sense of humour (see the vids from their channel and the whole Cardinal Copia thing)
- likes cool music and has a long musical history 
- apparently is a pretty humble guy 
- being Swedish, has a better accent and language manners than some actual native American speakers 
- looks like a boy-band singer while actually being Papa Emeritus 
- apparently likes dressing up :)

All this in one. Result: fucking awesome

Edited by jamillos

• 1 month later...

"In an interview on September 25, 2019, Ghost confirmed that other than one show in Mexico City on March 3, 2020, there would be zero touring next year. The year would be spent working on a new studio album which is expected to be released at the beginning of 2021."

PS: Somebody please teach GN'R this. 

On 14. 2. 2020 at 9:20 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, Tobias said 2020 would be recording a new album. He pretty much has the songs written.

As for new music from GNR, let's see if Ghost's music still holds up after 30 + years. I love Ghost, but not sure how this music will hold up and if Ghost will still be around the long haul.

I don't think this comparison is very fair, though. GNR were there in late 80s / early 90s, where they exactly needed to be. But Ghost are a band of 00s / 10s, and you have millions of new bands and styles these days, and with the internet, you can hardly be as influential as it was in the past. These eras just are not comparable. In any case, I'm sure their music definitely would hold up after 30 years had their prime been in the same time as GNR's. 

Edited by jamillos

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

OMG! Papa 4 is out! Back to scary Papa and I totally love it! 

bye bye Cardinal!

The Cardinal became Papa IV, so not really.

I'm not a fan of the Papa IV face paint, particularly the nose. The blue robes are cool though. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...