BBF Nightrain Chat Discussion

wasted

But we do not know, to what degree they are 'finished' or 'unfinished'? Reading chinese whispers, I think it is entirely possible that Axl has 12-14 songs in the vault that are finished or perhaps just need a final mix.

Going by what band members have said, they don't have many songs finished. Tommy explicitly said in regard to a new record that they would have to work more on the remaining CD session songs before they were ready to be released.

This album discussion is useless. There may exist 30 completely finished songs or none. We don't know for sure.

Nothing the band members have said suggests they have many finished songs. Here are three quick quotes I found:

Dizzy: There's a lot we've recorded, a lot of material back when we started working on 'Chinese Democracy,' so there's a quite a bit of unreleased stuff that would be really cool to finish and put out.

Tommy: There are songs left over from the "Chinese Democracy" sessions that are almost ready to go and could be polished up for potential release.

Dizzy: And there was so much material that didn't make it onto ('Chinese Democracy'). From what I remember there were a lot of really cool songs; I can only hope that some of that stuff does resurface and get worked out.

So more work needs to be done before the band has a complete album with songs off the CD sessions. It might not be technically much work but it might still take a very long time to get it done, especially if the songs lack vocals (which isn't implausible since Axl tends to put on vocals late in the recoding process).

I think if he does, Axl wont find any one else to fill in. GNR will be free to do Motley Roses hard rock record Tommy and Del want to do. Dj is basically a Crue guitarist he doesn't need Ron shredding across his riffs. That might be a great record if they make it work. If they stick with the pro tools tapestry of CD. Like Ron and he did some awesome stuff on CD so I don't want him to leave. I'm not sure what I would do if I had a back problem long term. I had one short term and it was just annoying, but it got better. I could sit, like a flight of 8 hours would be agony. I'd have to get up and hear all this cracking, could barley walk. But then it got better. And it's like whoo too, but to have that pain forever. I don;t know, fuck that! surely more medicine or extreme pain killers. I took no pain killers after a while. I did for a bit, but just nurofen plus. Hope Ron gets to do Shackler's more if they tour, like after Jungle.

Speaking of Motley Roses: I heard an interesting rumour prior to the press release that Motley Crue is going to do a farewell tour because of the advance medical issues with Mick Mars and his progressive disease (Ankylosis Spondelitis) that will eventually make it so he cannot tour : That DJ had been tapped to take his spot in the future: However, it looks like Crue is going to pull a Led Zeppelin thing and end Crue for good following the farewell tour .

I cannot think of a better guitarist to replace Mars at this stage of the game though and would love it IF it was true.

If Dj goes to Crue then I expect Robin to come back to GNR.

Why would you expect that? Robin is currently touring the world with a band that is actually relevant. And once they go on a break, I imagine he'd probably go to Gary Numan instead of GNR.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Robin back in Guns at some point, but I fail to see why you'd expect him to come back if Dj left.

NIN are not that relevant but I get your point. Robin is just a touring musician for them as well right?

Of course they are. There last album was #3 on the Billboard 200 (#1 on the Rock Charts) and got good reviews. Their tour is selling better than GNR's last US tours (based on my experience at multiple shows for both bands). They actually release music on a consistent basis, and aren't considered a joke by the majority of the public.

Trent is the only actual member of NIN overall. The touring band is almost considered a separate entity. Robin has contributed to some studio releases though.

Back on topic, I assume someone is going to record this chat tonight on the off chance that he actually says something important? And we'll have live updates, right? It's only 5 hours away.

I think if he does, Axl wont find any one else to fill in. GNR will be free to do Motley Roses hard rock record Tommy and Del want to do. Dj is basically a Crue guitarist he doesn't need Ron shredding across his riffs. That might be a great record if they make it work. If they stick with the pro tools tapestry of CD. Like Ron and he did some awesome stuff on CD so I don't want him to leave. I'm not sure what I would do if I had a back problem long term. I had one short term and it was just annoying, but it got better. I could sit, like a flight of 8 hours would be agony. I'd have to get up and hear all this cracking, could barley walk. But then it got better. And it's like whoo too, but to have that pain forever. I don;t know, fuck that! surely more medicine or extreme pain killers. I took no pain killers after a while. I did for a bit, but just nurofen plus. Hope Ron gets to do Shackler's more if they tour, like after Jungle.

Speaking of Motley Roses: I heard an interesting rumour prior to the press release that Motley Crue is going to do a farewell tour because of the advance medical issues with Mick Mars and his progressive disease (Ankylosis Spondelitis) that will eventually make it so he cannot tour : That DJ had been tapped to take his spot in the future: However, it looks like Crue is going to pull a Led Zeppelin thing and end Crue for good following the farewell tour .

I cannot think of a better guitarist to replace Mars at this stage of the game though and would love it IF it was true.

Why would you expect that? Robin is currently touring the world with a band that is actually relevant. And once they go on a break, I imagine he'd probably go to Gary Numan instead of GNR.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Robin back in Guns at some point, but I fail to see why you'd expect him to come back if Dj left.

Robin leaving right before CD is a mistake which is actually understandable.

You know it, I know it and he knows it.

Well, we really have no way to know what state the unreleased tracks are in.

Just look at Going Down. Ron obviously added his own parts and it was bounced around via email. Same could have been for several other tracks, or fuck, a whole album. We know Ron is on Atlas Shrugged & "a good handful" of tracks that were *not* on on Chinese, as he put it. Ron & DJ both have home studios. Who knows what other tracks have been bounced around over the last few years?

I would wager that, sans final mixing & mastering, Axl could release the next album literally whenever he wants.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

Ashba isn't joining, Crüe is calling it quits next year. Sixx will be finishing the broadway play then doing Sixx: A.M. full time in about 2015-2016. Ashba will be in that.

Robin leaving right before CD is a mistake which is actually understandable.

You know it, I know it and he knows it.

No, he finished his work on the album, he saw it through - something he had been involved in the creation of for over a decade. It was finished, so he closed that chapter and moved on. He went on to record a great album and perform on one of the most ambitious and innovative concert tours of all time. No matter how you look at it, it certainly wasn't a mistake.

Edited by Broskirose

In my opinion that is in direct contradiction to the four quotes I have provided and can only be interpreted as wishful thinking.

No offense, but these guys are so far out of the loop, often stepping all over eachother with contradictions about the next album, that I think it'd be extremely fair to say that they don't know their ass from their elbows when it comes to what stage of production Axl has the unreleased tracks in.

In my opinion that is in direct contradiction to the four quotes I have provided and can only be interpreted as wishful thinking.

No offense, but these guys are so far out of the loop, often stepping all over eachother with contradictions about the next album, that I think it'd be extremely fair to say that they don't know their ass from their elbows when it comes to what stage of production Axl has the unreleased tracks in.

No offence taken at all :)

You originally wrote that songs could have bounced back and forth between members (like Goin' Down). If so I expect members would have talked about it, because they have talked about bouncing new songs back and forth. E.g. Dj has numerous times talked about his new songs ideas that he has shared with Axl and Dizzy literally talked about Axl and Dj bouncing ideas back and forth. I just see no reason why they would keep a lid about the same thing happening with CD session songs.

The quotes I pasted also implies that the songs require more than input from only Axl, meaning that he probably couldn't be finishing them on his own.

I also believe that IF he was working on a new record, he would keep the guys in the loop. After all, the making of CD was very much a band effort in the sense that members contributed all the way.

Lastly, the idea that Axl has been working on the next record isn't supported by any quotes from himself and I am afraid I just don't have faith in the vision of him working as a beaver somewhere.

Guys seriously, no-one thinks there's going to be a significant announcement tonight with BBF on nightrain, surely to god? The guy lives to talk; he's as good at that than he is at playing guitar! I'm sure then be some cool chat etc but a release of a gnr album/DVD/single/etc? Not a chance in hell

Guys seriously, no-one thinks there's going to be a significant announcement tonight with BBF on nightrain, surely to god? The guy lives to talk; he's as good at that than he is at playing guitar! I'm sure then be some cool chat etc but a release of a gnr album/DVD/single/etc? Not a chance in hell

You are probably right but these are paying members so surely this would be a great time to start some monumental promotions ;)

You're not wrong.

However, I for one greatly look forward to hearing about all the great meals Ron has had lately.

Agreed. I don't see why people are setting themselves up to be disappointed. There's been absolutely no promise or suggestion of anything like that taking place in this chat.

Enjoy the chat for what it will be... some questions answered, some guitar playing and a good time. Hopefully BBF will be as frank and honest as he usually is about upcoming plans.

The Vegas release is coming, but BBF isn't the guy to talk about it. :shrugs:

As much as I agree, it's not so logical. I mean, was there any indication that Axl was just gonna show up here and chat with us? No. You can't predict anything with this band.

But yeah, don't hold your breath...

You are right, the band is unpredictable. The problem is just that there are thousands of unpredictable scenarios that can happen. The probability of a specific unpredictable scenario is still very, very low.