Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

Not to be an arse (as I spend so much time moaning about Axl taking ages to record) but It does sound a bt like Slash recorded the album in a day then went to the pub. I love it, I really do but is the songwritng there?

I think one of things that have been missing from slash's work since leaving gnr are the extended killer intro's (WTTJ, SC0M, PC, etc.) and outro's (nigtrain, PC, RQ, etc.) Whether or not that was the axl effect or the combined effort of the whole, I can't really say but his newer music has been lacking in those categories for the most part.

Not to be an arse (as I spend so much time moaning about Axl taking ages to record) but It does sound a bt like Slash recorded the album in a day then went to the pub. I love it, I really do but is the songwritng there?

I think one of things that have been missing from slash's work since leaving gnr are the extended killer intro's (WTTJ, SC0M, PC, etc.) and outro's (nigtrain, PC, RQ, etc.) Whether or not that was the axl effect or the combined effort of the whole, I can't really say but his newer music has been lacking in those categories for the most part.

Anastasia has one of Slash's best outro solos, up there with all the tracks you just mentioned

Getting excited for the new music and the eventual tour that follows...........I love the way Slash keeps us fans informed on how things are going...it is a great time to be a Slash fan............

Its never not been a good time to be a Slash fan.

Libertad era

Slash (2010) era

Libertad is not up to his other material but is not as bad as people claim and the "Slash" album has some fantastic songs on it sung by great lead singers...................

Edited by classicrawker

Libertad is okay, like CW said, it's not terrible. There are some good songs on there, though it is probably Slash's weakest release. Slash (2010) was overall pretty good, it was never meant to be a standard Slash/hard rock record, he wanted to branch out musically and work with certain people. It's that simple, no need to argue.

Anastasia has one of Slash's best outro solos, up there with all the tracks you just mentioned

Agreed, which just proves the point further. Other notable post gnr tracks would include, slither, by the sword, and few others. But all those songs mentioned are generally thought of as slash's best work off their respective albums. As anastasia is the consensus best song off of AL.

Its not difficult. We're gonna get 1-3 classics off this album that rank with some of Slash's strongest post GNR work. The rest is gonna be great, just not classic. Probably a Todd tune in there which will be nice and hopefully some more experimental heavier stuff. I can understand people being upset that Slash's solo work doesn't live up to GNR, but the thing is he puts out new music basically every two years, and from that there's always at least 2 really excellent tracks that come out of that, while the rest is also generic Slash. You can wish he cut the generic stuff so much, but he's still putting out at least 2 killer songs with each release and still releases stuff more regularly than he has to, so its hard to fault him for anything.

I loved A Saint Is a Sinner Too. Great, great song.

Wasn't your sig about Dr. Alibi a few years ago Bacardi? lol

Yes, I absolutely loved the album when it came out. I had horrible taste back then.

I still like it. It is a bit cheesie and poppy and having a different singer/ genre on a lot of tracks takes you out of the album. That being said, there are a few great tracks on it. I love Starlight, Back From Cali, By The Sword, etc but it has not aged as well as I do think there is some shit on it like Dr. Alibi, Chains and Shackles, and the lyrics to We're All Gonna Die are horrid. A lot of generic, more forgettable stuff too like Gotten, I Hold On, etc. Those songs are ok, just kind of "eh" I think Apocalyptic Love is vastly superior as a record.

Just my opinion though, just like how whenever I bash Mr. West that is my opinion too :lol: Cheers if you like him, though!

Its not difficult. We're gonna get 1-3 classics off this album that rank with some of Slash's strongest post GNR work. The rest is gonna be great, just not classic. Probably a Todd tune in there which will be nice and hopefully some more experimental heavier stuff. I can understand people being upset that Slash's solo work doesn't live up to GNR, but the thing is he puts out new music basically every two years, and from that there's always at least 2 really excellent tracks that come out of that, while the rest is also generic Slash. You can wish he cut the generic stuff so much, but he's still putting out at least 2 killer songs with each release and still releases stuff more regularly than he has to, so its hard to fault him for anything.

And I agree with that, although I liked a lot of the stuff considered on here to be less memorable on AL- Shots Fired, the title track, Halo, Not For Me... fuck, I like all the songs. Anastasia is defiantly the highlight though.

Edited by ZoSoRose

Save for the Myles songs and By the Sword, every track on Slash feels like a leftover from the respective singers' (or their bands') album. I know that isn't the case since Slash probably wrote most of the music, but the songs just have a decidedly rushed or generic feel to them. Dr. Alibi, I Hold On (it's gonna be a huge summer hit guys! :rofl-lol: ), We're All Gonna Die and Gotten are as formulaic as can be, both in lyrics and structure. And I mean, what was up with recording two dramatically different versions of the same song? (Nothing to Say/Chains and Shackles)

Apocalyptic Love was EONS above Slash in putting out a solo album that showed he was worth his shit without one of Axl/Izzy/Duff.

Edited by bacardimayne

Save for the Myles songs and By the Sword, every track on Slash feels like a leftover from the respective singers' (or their bands') album. I know that isn't the case since Slash probably wrote most of the music, but the songs just have a decidedly rushed or generic feel to them. Dr. Alibi, I Hold On (it's gonna be a huge summer hit guys! :rofl-lol: ), We're All Gonna Die and Gotten are as formulaic as can be, both in lyrics and structure. And I mean, what was up with recording two dramatically different versions of the same song? (Nothing to Say/Chains and Shackles)

Apocalyptic Love was EONS above Slash in putting out a solo album that showed he was worth his shit without one of Axl/Izzy/Duff.

I do pretty much agree, aside from a very few, none of the tracks were that great. I did think a lot of them were fun to listen to, though, and there was some neat guitar playing. I loved the album too when it came out, but the few years that have passed have not been great to it.

Funny you mention that about I Hold On, though, in Michigan it was actually a pretty big hit when it came out! Probably because Kid Rock was on it, but it was played a ton in the summer of 2010 here on our rock stations.

Edited by ZoSoRose

Yes, but we already knew that from I5oCS and especially ALG.

Perhaps not a popular opinion here, but I thought the songs on those 2 albums were weak, especially on I5OCS. And the country tinged approach is just not my thing. He incorporated it better in a subtle way when he was in Guns.

The lyrics were pretty dumb (do you like the way I bury your heart wut) and it just dragged on and on.

There were some very cool riffs and solos (Serial Killer) and some songs were pretty good, but it wasn't anything special imo.

I didn't really connect with those 2 vocalists, but one of them had that Steven Tyler thing which I guess made sense. The other one had his moments, but was kinda limited to me.

Edited by Rovim

Perhaps not a popular opinion here, but I thought the songs on those 2 albums were weak, especially on I5OCS. And the country tinged approach is just not my thing. He incorporated it better in a subtle way when he was in Guns.

The lyrics were pretty dumb (do you like the way I bury your heart wut) and it just dragged on and on.

There were some very cool riffs and solos (Serial Killer) and some songs were pretty good, but it wasn't anything special imo.

I didn't really connect with those 2 vocalists, but one of them had that Steven Tyler thing which I guess made sense. The other one had his moments, but was kinda limited to me.

The vastness in differing opinions on the Snakepit stuff has always amazed me. Most people prefer I5oCS, I prefer ALG, but I like them both. I think ALG is truly a terrific album, maybe even a masterpiece hard rock record. I like Rod (ALG singer) a lot more than Eric Dover (I5oCS singer) for Slash.

I judge Slash's albums by how good they are at being hard rock records, lyrics don't concern me much, I'm looking for riffs, solos, and arrangements. Vocal melodies too, and I actually don't recall disliking that many lyrics on either Snakepit album. They're overall a lot less juvenile than "back off bitch, down in a gutter lying in a ditch" and "turn around bitch I got a use for you."

The structure of the songs was boring as shit and almost always the same. Something that repeats itself on Slash and AL imo.

Slash is a masterful riff writer and an amazing lead guitar player, but as a songwriter, he's just not very good to my ears.

Izzy could easily put together a song in his prime and it sounded complete. Like the foundation was strong, and it stood all on it's own. It wasn't generic like most Slash songs.

• Like 1

The structure of the songs was boring as shit and almost always the same. Something that repeats itself on Slash and AL imo.

Slash is a masterful riff writer and an amazing lead guitar player, but as a songwriter, he's just not very good to my ears.

Izzy could easily put together a song in his prime and it sounded complete. Like the foundation was strong, and it stood all on it's own. It wasn't generic like most Slash songs.

I would kill to have Slash and Izzy do one album/tour together.

• Like 1