'Indiana Ain't My Kind Of Town'

GivenToFly

Hey Marc!

This song:

- I have some questions about it.

1. I've seen it labeled as GNR and Hollywood Rose but the video here is more specific with a time and place. Can you confirm that that's GNR playing and that's the date?

2. Was it written for GNR?

3. Do you have the lyrics?

4. Did you record that performance?

I recorded it at the Troubadour Nov 22, 1985 it was their first sold out gig. We took out a full page ad in Bam magazine for that gig and it paid off. Steven had some problems with his bass drum peddle and there was some down time during the gig because of it. I think Izzy started strumming the song and then the band just went for it. I didn't even know the song existed until then. I thought that they just sort of made it up on the spot. Maybe it was something that Izzy and Axl once played around with but never finished it?

I recorded it at the Troubadour Nov 22, 1985 it was their first sold out gig. We took out a full page ad in Bam magazine for that gig and it paid off. Steven had some problems with his bass drum peddle and there was some down time during the gig because of it. I think Izzy started strumming the song and then the band just went for it. I didn't even know the song existed until then. I thought that they just sort of made it up on the spot. Maybe it was something that Izzy and Axl once played around with but never finished it?

Thanks.

I'd always assumed it was a cover but a few days ago I googled "lyrics indiana ain't my kind of town" and all I got was GNR results. It had never crossed my mind that it could be a GNR original.

Marc, do you have the actual order they played the set at this gig? I'm trying to go by the photocopied list the band made but the text in your book shows they played Mama Kin in addition to Indiana. Also, the December show right after has just text and no list. Could you please provide us with one if there are more songs other than what was written about?

Thank you.

Edited by Creepshow2