Estranged with Axl's 1997 Voice.. Real or Fake??

axldoyle

Do you even look at anything before you post it, or just post anything you see. Look at the comments below the soundcloud, they are from a month ago

Mr.Street Of Dreams at 1.39 19 days ago

@Adilson Júnior 25: EVADER done it for me in Adobe Audition 3.0.

Do you even look at anything before you post it, or just post anything you see. Look at the comments below the soundcloud, they are from a month ago

Mr.Street Of Dreams at 1.39 19 days ago

@Adilson Júnior 25: EVADER done it for me in Adobe Audition 3.0.

Somebody's having a bad day? Yes I did read the comments Sir and yes I saw that they had stated it was real ( I thought that myGNR would be able to elaborate), however you didn't answer my question about there being any more recordings from that period?

The vocals are from Live Era, but like a lot of the songs on that album, vocals were re-recorded. Not sure in which parts.

sweet, cheers man that clears things up :)

Talking about soundcloud and gnr...

I think its safe to say that version is better than DJ Ashba's! I didn't like how he was quick to claim it was only a rough version that he had made because surely if you are sending remixes to Axl Rose (the "perfectionist") you would have a BETTER demo ready!

The vocals are from Live Era, but like a lot of the songs on that album, vocals were re-recorded. Not sure in which parts.

It's pretty obvious which parts were re-recorded if you are familiar with Axl's voice (no offense). The sound editor who spliced it all together did a pretty shoddy job at even attempting to make it seamless.

Skip to the 6:49 part (right after the first solo). The first bit ("Well I jumped into the river") bit is Axl in 1992, hitting notes with rasp that he couldn't hit circa '97; the part immediately afterward ("too many times to make it home") is Axl '97/'99. They literally just pasted his old live performance in for a couple seconds, and you can hear it if you're really paying attention. You can tell the first couple seconds is live, and switches noticeably to a louder studio clip immediately afterward.

Happens a few times throughout the track. Anyone familiar with Axl's 1992 voice can tell that the rasp isn't as deep and harsh on most of the track for it to actually have been from 1992. The majority of it was obviously re-recorded some time in the '90s (I'm not sure where the '97 date came from - I've always assumed Live Era was recorded '98 - '99).

Talking about soundcloud and gnr...

I think its safe to say that version is better than DJ Ashba's! I didn't like how he was quick to claim it was only a rough version that he had made because surely if you are sending remixes to Axl Rose (the "perfectionist") you would have a BETTER demo ready!

I think DJ literally just did his remix in his home studio. Was probably bored with GN'R not recording anything new and just fucking around.

I think that Get Lucky remix kinda sucks, tbh. Doesn't fit the hoarseness of the vocals.

I don't know why whoever did this called it '97', more likely 98 or 99... anyway. It's just Live Era with terrible editing applied to get the vocals out more.

Listen to the end of Rocket Queen on Live Era. That's alllllllllllll re-done. And it's awesome.

Let's call it 99. Because 97 is just random.

It's more 'head voice' and less throat, from my amateur opinion. I think when people complain of his Mickey Mouse voice in 2002 it's because he was trying to do this thing we hear in Rocket Queen but I suppose it's harder than just letting it rip with your throat. So often it's out of tune and the timbre sounds a little strange.

His natural singing voice is/was (?) more like what's on Lies' Patience and/or his LOWWWW BASSS.

There's a price to what he was doing otherwise.

But I'm no expert and I'm not his vocal coach. I do remember reading an interview where his old vocal coach was really sad when she heard Use Your Illusion "oh no...he's damaging his voice". Anddddd that's the voice most of us like the most! That's what we paid a ticket* to hear... *shrug*.

...figuratively, paid a ticket, since many of us were too young back then. but you get the idea...

Edited by Gagarin