Do we need to limit "likes" anymore?

Ace Nova

It's by far the best new feature mygnr has tried. Limiting the amount seems a bit of a desperate attempt to get some more supporters. Why limit it?

Honestly dude? Excuse my frustration, but it's 5 bucks a year.

5 bucks a year towards the $330 a month that Subs pays out of his pocket in hosting costs... calling it a desperate attempt is a bit fucking unfair when we hardly push donations at all here.

I'd agree you don't push donations but it's obvious you're thinking of multiple schemes to get people to support. It's not the price I'm bothered about, it's the fact it's limited, it could be a great feature all on its own. but in it's current stage it's a half-baked idea, it's not complete..in my opinion of course.

Is the monthly tracker still there? I'd say that's a good goal to remind people of.

It's by far the best new feature mygnr has tried. Limiting the amount seems a bit of a desperate attempt to get some more supporters. Why limit it?

5 bucks a year towards the $330 a month that Subs pays out of his pocket in hosting costs... calling it a desperate attempt is a bit fucking unfair when we hardly push donations at all here.

Exactly.

Stop being such a cheap bastard and give a tiny bit to support the board you attempt to cupcake on a semi-regular basis.

Stop being a whiny bitch.

Edited by ColdHeartBreaker

Here's an idea: instead of spending all the money your mom gives you on pot and Burger King you could give $5 to mygnr. It is obviously a money issue with you since you feel the need to bitch and cry about the board needing funding and those in charge trying it keep it afloat. Clean the sand out of your vagina and stop your incessant whining. Perhaps try being a solution instead of the problem all the time. It's good for you to try new things.

I'm all for healthy discussion encouraging new ideas to bring in some money, why can't I suggest there's a better or different solution as opposed to creating a great, fun new system and then limiting it? I'll bring it up again, why was the tracker hidden? (Or have i blocked it and can't remember :lol: ) Having a reminder in front of user's faces may be beneficial. Or did it not do so well after the initial take over?

I'm all for healthy discussion encouraging new ideas to bring in some money, why can't I suggest there's a better or different solution as opposed to creating a great, fun new system and then limiting it? I'll bring it up again, why was the tracker hidden? (Or have i blocked it and can't remember :lol: ) Having a reminder in front of user's faces may be beneficial. Or did it not do so well after the initial take over?

I'm honestly not sure why the tracker was hidden, I'm sure HV and UK will post a reason when they see the question.

I get people making suggestions on ways to improve the site and that's always welcome. However, complaining about limited "likes" when you could fix that for yourself with all of $5 seems ridiculous to me. I could seem there being some validity to it if Subs' were making money on the site at all, but as it's been pointed out he loses quite a bit of money every month.

I'd agree you don't push donations but it's obvious you're thinking of multiple schemes to get people to support. It's not the price I'm bothered about, it's the fact it's limited, it could be a great feature all on its own.

Is the monthly tracker still there? I'd say that's a good goal to remind people of.

Honestly? The monthly tracker was removed a while back because it was depressing to see it at zero so many months in a row. It started to look pathetic.

Of course we're thinking of multiple "schemes" to get people to support... that's the point of a Supporter's benefit. We really have a limited number of incentives we can use to get people to donate, so we have to take advantage of as many of them as we can. We're not trying to hide from that.

I'm happy to review the number of likes members and supporters can give out, but we're not going to remove the limitation for members entirely. We need more supporters (there are about 70 in total), just like we need to explore other options in terms of ad revenue (JB has given us some great suggestions) to get us out of the red. We managed to get dropped a tier in hosting costs down for one or two months when traffic dropped, but as soon as the leaks hit we got bumped back up to the higher tier again.

This is just the reality of the situation we're in. The site isn't going anywhere (thanks to Subs) but we have a goal to get the site to a sustainable position to guarantee it's future. I don't think the feature is crippled by having it limited, and if someone is on here enough to hit the limit so regularly that it bothers them, there's an easy solution to get more.

I'd agree you don't push donations but it's obvious you're thinking of multiple schemes to get people to support. It's not the price I'm bothered about, it's the fact it's limited, it could be a great feature all on its own.

Honestly? The monthly tracker was removed a while back because it was depressing to see it at zero so many months in a row. It started to look pathetic.

Of course we're thinking of multiple "schemes" to get people to support... that's the point of a Supporter's benefit. We really have a limited number of incentives we can use to get people to donate, so we have to take advantage of as many of them as we can. We're not trying to hide from that.

I'm happy to review the number of likes members and supporters can give out, but we're not going to remove the limitation for members entirely. We need more supporters (there are about 70 in total), just like we need to explore other options in terms of ad revenue (JB has given us some great suggestions) to get us out of the red. We managed to get dropped a tier in hosting costs down for one or two months when traffic dropped, but as soon as the leaks hit we got bumped back up to the higher tier again.

This is just the reality of the situation we're in. The site isn't going anywhere (thanks to Subs) but we have a goal to get the site to a sustainable position to guarantee it's future. I don't think the feature is crippled by having it limited, and if someone is on here enough to hit the limit so regularly that it bothers them, there's an easy solution to get more.

I'm happy to review the number of likes members and supporters can give out, but we're not going to remove the limitation for members entirely.

I'm going to echo what I think Damn Smooth suggested earlier, taking the cap off of supporters might increase the numbers of supporters? As I've said, the greatest feature, I'd buy it.

If the leaks caused a strain, I can only imagine what will happen if Axl decides to release music.

I'm perfectly happy to do that for Supporters, just not for members.

The cap is there to give the imaginary internet points some kind of "value", that's all. I'd prefer to just raise it for Supporters, but if people really want to see the cap removed entirely, that's fine too.

Is it just me, or does this topic not merit this degree of seriousness?

Is it just me, or does this topic not merit this degree of seriousness?

imaginary internet points

It's not just you.

Sorry about this.... :ph34r: ....a little overly emotional the other night.....I had no idea it would lead to this....

The cap is there to give the imaginary internet points some kind of "value", that's all. I'd prefer to just raise it for Supporters, but if people really want to see the cap removed entirely, that's fine too.

Raise it to infinity for me, so that I may still choose to not like what many people post - but have people know I have the capacity and capability to do it, yet I find them unworthy.

• Like 1

Don't raise it. The limitation is great and works perfectly good in other forums, even bigger than MYGNR.

• Like 3

so we get 5 likes a day? is that the limit? its a daily limit? or weekly? or....? I tried to like a post today and it said I reached my quota- and I don't even remember using any today.

5 in 24 hours. 24 hours from your first like, you'll get one more and then another one when it's been 24 hours since your second like and so on...

so we get 5 likes a day? is that the limit? its a daily limit? or weekly? or....? I tried to like a post today and it said I reached my quota- and I don't even remember using any today.

5 in 24 hours. 24 hours from your first like, you'll get one more and then another one when it's been 24 hours since your second like and so on...

so basically after the first 5, you get another one every 24 hours? so you'll never have more than 5 at one time then?