Does anyone else feel Duff's book is way more honest and truthful and less biased than Slash's and Adler's?

TombRaider

Does anyone else feel the same?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After reading all three books by the ex Gunners, I can't help but think that Duff's account of what happened in the band is the least biased and more honest and truthful insight. Don't know why, though, since I wasn't there and there's no way for me or any of us to know what really went on behind the scenes. Does anyone else feel the same?

i voted 'no'. slash's book is as honest as duff's and steven's. all of them have pretty much the same version of the events concerning guns n'roses.

Even if I'm not anti Slash, I must say some of his passages do read as if he were trying to depict himself as the good guy. Even when he admits to having been high or drunk most of the time, he sorta plays down how that could've affected both the band and his relationship with Axl. Like: yeah, I was drunk and couldn't keep my shit together, but it wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of things.

I don't get that I was a victim or the good guy sort of vibe from Duff's account. I may be wrong though.

Edited by TombRaider

This is Marc Canter's take from an interview with Legendary Rock.

"I remember when he worked at Tower Records ... he talks in the book about how he was always drinking on the job but I know he really did a good job just like he always did a good job in the band, he always took his job seriously and was never a fuck up. He was an ace at the business end of things as far as the band went and was always working, always on the phone 24/7 and busted his ass to make sure rehearsals and sessions went smoothly and cost effectively. He was really very aware. When they were out on the road, he was busting his ass working and waking up at 8 o'clock in the morning to talk to 100 different reporters for press and everything. He was a terminator and there was nothing he would not do in the name of Guns N’ Roses. He’s always been able to handle an extremely heavy workload and multiple jobs and somehow balance everything. I mean, I don’t know how he does it now but he does and he does it well."

• Like 3

I didn't read Duff's, just the part of when he meets Axl at the London hotel, which is great. I don't know how reliable is a book written by a person who allegedly doesn't remember anything from the 90s. At least, that's what Gilby told me.

Slash's book just sound's way too "Mr. Nice Guy", you know? And there have been pointed many parts on their books where they contradict themselves...

From every persons take on how it was with Guns N Roses in the late 80's early 90's it just seems there was so much going on. So many stories and memories from their time on the road.

It's shocking they are still alive. These guys lived a lifetime in the span of a decade. What I'm getting at is everything that happened in regards to the break up and control happened due to a long series of events accumulating over time. There is no single point where everything fell apart. It was just an unsustainable party that had to end at some point.

To me it was like the stock market in the 20's and 30's. You have this glorious period where everything is great, but eventually things are going to crash.

Idk if Duff is more reliable than anyone else, but I feel like their girlfriends, or roadies have the most reliable and true stories to tell. They could tell more about how it was with the band. They lived to the extreme and it must have been amazing to be a part of. To me it sounds like they were a part of an amazing party filled with drama, fun, and love. It's just one day they woke up from the party, and it's one of those things that was great, but not something you would want to revisit. Just a once in a lifetime experience.

• Like 2

No one from inside GNR at that time is unbiased.

Slash was understanding and positive a lot of times in his book but a few negative comments about Axl sends people around here into ludicrous-defense mode.

If Axl can ever get a book out there, I'm sure it will just as biased as the rest of em.

• Like 1

This is Marc Canter's take from an interview with Legendary Rock.

"I remember when he worked at Tower Records ... he talks in the book about how he was always drinking on the job but I know he really did a good job just like he always did a good job in the band, he always took his job seriously and was never a fuck up. He was an ace at the business end of things as far as the band went and was always working, always on the phone 24/7 and busted his ass to make sure rehearsals and sessions went smoothly and cost effectively. He was really very aware. When they were out on the road, he was busting his ass working and waking up at 8 o'clock in the morning to talk to 100 different reporters for press and everything. He was a terminator and there was nothing he would not do in the name of Guns N’ Roses. He’s always been able to handle an extremely heavy workload and multiple jobs and somehow balance everything. I mean, I don’t know how he does it now but he does and he does it well."

Exactly!...some on this forum keep bringing up how fucked up Slash was but ignore the fact that it never affected his work in the band............He never missed or was late for a gig, didn't blow off rehearsals, and was the one doing the shitty repetitive interviews, which he has stated he hates, to promote the band..........

No one from inside GNR at that time is unbiased.

Slash was understanding and positive a lot of times in his book but a few negative comments about Axl sends people around here into ludicrous-defense mode.

If Axl can ever get a book out there, I'm sure it will just as biased as the rest of em.

All you have to do is read Axl's rants on this forum to know that to be true...............As Slash stated in his book it was written from his perspective and most likely Axl would see things differently..................

I voted no.

I haven't read Adler's because I'm not interested at all but both Slash's and Duff's are honest and truthful.

I love how you just state your opinion as fact, even though you know neither of the people in question or have any inside information whatsoever.

Yes, I have inside information but I can disclose my source. I know more than you. I'm right, you're wrong. Sorry. :lol:

In all seriousness, I never said it was a fact, I think it's obvious is just my opinion and how I saw those books when I was reading them. Of course, I always take everything I read with a grain of salt.

I really loved Slash and Duff their books. I'm not interested in a book Adler mostly had written for him. But Slash and Duff's are really very good. Different styles of telling stories, but both very enjoyable. And I found both of them respectful towards others. I've seen people try to twist and turn and overanalyze every single sentence in Slash's book on here. I remember Trollcano posted an deranged and honestly very disturbing long story about how certain sentences were technically incorrect. It's insane and disgusting to me. But really, it's a great book. Look at the big picture. If you're not a biased Slash hater, you'll find it enjoyable and insightful.

I think Duff's is slightly better. I prefer the style of writing and the way he tells things is very compelling. But they're both great.

• Like 2

I enjoy Duff's book a little more for the simple fact that I think he was more involved with writing it than Slash.

Slash's book is interesting but I get the impression that he told his collaborator stuff and let him do the heavy lifting where with Duff he probably wrote everything himself and just had an editor to make sure everything is good quality. That is where I think a lot of the little inacuraccies in Slash's book comes from although that doesn't diminish how interesting it is to me