Does anyone else feel Duff's book is way more honest and truthful and less biased than Slash's and Adler's?

TombRaider

Does anyone else feel the same?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Everyone has their own perspective, and it's not uncommon for three people telling the same story to have different takes on it. Having said that, I thought Duff's book was the best. He seemed to try to see things from a balanced perspective when he could - for instance, there's one part where he talks about Axl's mood swings, and then relates it to his own emotional issues (panic attacks).

Also, Duff's very bright and well spoken. I think his book's probably most accurate simply because he wrote it himself, and didn't have a ghost writer/collaborator like the others. So the text in the book is his unfiltered perspective rather than someone else's edit/interpretation.

I would actually recomend Duff's book to people who, not only do not like GN'R, but people who do not like rock music full stop. So far as it does talk about GN'R, it basically backs up Slash but these a not very interesting. It is the 'life' story that is interesting. It is worlds away from Crue Dirt type stuff. ...

So I would recomend them all. Duff's first if you want a wonderfully literary life-confirming 'life story', Slash's for GN'R-information and sleaze. Then pick of Stevies. Isn't Matt meant to be writing one? Hopefully we get Matt's and possibly Gilby's and complete the set as I can not see us ever getting Axl or Izzy's.

I agree with this. Outside of his involvement with GnR, Duff has a really interesting life story.

Edited by stella

Slash's book reeks of (buzzword alert) an agenda, where Duff's is just him telling the stories for the sake of telling the stories.

i don't think there's an agenda, i just think it was painfully transparent that slash didn't write a single word of it. anthony bozza was the author.

duff actually wrote his book, and, like keith richards' memoir, you could tell it wasn't just ghostwritten by a professional. duff's was by far the most moving and memorable of the GN'R-related memoirs i've read thus far.

I didnt feel Duffs book was that interesting. He got sober by kick boxing. Its not quite as shallow as Slashs book but that doesnt mean it was a spiritual revelation. He has an addictive nature its not cosmic. Mainly i read rock bios for the debauchery. DLR book was one of the few that transcended the genre.

I didnt feel Duffs book was that interesting. He got sober by kick boxing. Its not quite as shallow as Slashs book but that doesnt mean it was a spiritual revelation. He has an addictive nature its not cosmic. Mainly i read rock bios for the debauchery. DLR book was one of the few that transcended the genre.

Could not disagree more.