Is Ron Trying to Diminish Interest the Next GNR Album?

Nick85

I've noticed that Ron has made increasingly passive aggressive comments in regard to the next Guns N' Roses album consisting of the other Chinese Democracy era tracks. I'm referring to comments like "The only finished tracks feature guys that haven't even been in the band for 5 years." & When recently he was asked if the band has worked on tracks since 2008, stating "Together that we've finished? No. Playing on eachother's song idea's, Yes." Thus, re-positioning the question so that he can answer negatively with a "No." to a question that really should've been answered with a "Yes."

I have to wonder, is his constant harping about not wanting the next album to consist of the other Chi Dem era tracks simply a public ploy for him to levy fans support to get writing credits on the next album and, subsequently, make a great deal more money? It would behoove him to make that seem like a worst case scenario for fans, while also trumping up his worth and involvement in what he would like the next Guns release to be.

This is just something I've noticed and, if true, is pretty lame and selfish. It'd be a shame to never get a chance hear tracks like The General, Atlas Shrugged, & Soul Monster, if only to appease an increasingly disgruntled employee.

• Like 1

He has definitely attempted to turn the community against a second record from the Chinese Democracy sessions (usually subtly, but as it's gotten more likely he's simultaneously become more explicit).

It's not working though. People are more interested in the avante-garde GNR than the current outfit - which is more like an Appetite V2.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 1

I think he's just frustrated being asked to answer questions he doesn't know the answers to. :shrugs:

I dunno. We know for a fact that his playing is featured on a good deal of the unreleased music. I just don't get why he has such an aversion to that being the next album. Why diminish music you recorded on that has yet to see the light of day?

Writing creds mean a lot of dough, especially considering it's a GNR album which could still foreseeably sell 2-3 million copies worldwide. What other angle is there here?

He has definitely attempted to turn the community against a second record from the Chinese Democracy sessions (usually subtly, but as it's gotten more likely he's simultaneously become more explicit).

It's not working though. People are more interested in the avante-garde GNR than the current outfit - which is more like an Appetite V2.

My genuine interest in new music died with the departure of Robin, Bucket and Brain. I'd still listen to anything else that came out but that was the last time I had any faith that GnR could return to relevance.

I think he's just frustrated being asked to answer questions he doesn't know the answers to. :shrugs:

I dunno. We know for a fact that his playing is featured on a good deal of the unreleased music. I just don't get why he has such an aversion to that being the next album. Why diminish music you recorded on that has yet to see the light of day?

Writing creds mean a lot of dough, especially considering it's a GNR album which could still foreseeably sell 2-3 million copies worldwide. What other angle is there here?

His issue is more that he has no control over anything that may or may not come out nor any knowledge of it I'm guessing. This is why I don't consider this a proper band in the genuine contributory partnership sense. Somebody who's been in a "band" for the best part of a decade yet has no insight even into touring arrangements? Righty ho! #HiredGun

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

I've noticed that Ron has made increasingly passive aggressive comments in regard to the next Guns N' Roses album consisting of the other Chinese Democracy era tracks. I'm referring to comments like "The only finished tracks feature guys that haven't even been in the band for 5 years." & When recently he was asked if the band has worked on tracks since 2008, stating "Together that we've finished? No. Playing on eachother's song idea's, Yes." Thus, re-positioning the question so that he can answer negatively with a "No." to a question that really should've been answered with a "Yes."

I have to wonder, is his constant harping about not wanting the next album to consist of the other Chi Dem era tracks simply a public ploy for him to levy fans support to get writing credits on the next album and, subsequently, make a great deal more money? It would behoove him to make that seem like a worst case scenario for fans, while also trumping up his worth and involvement in what he would like the next Guns release to be.

This is just something I've noticed and, if true, is pretty lame and selfish. It'd be a shame to never get a chance hear tracks like The General, Atlas Shrugged, & Soul Monster, if only to appease an increasingly disgruntled employee.

No, you're reading into it way! too! much!.

Maybe, just maybe he enjoys playing with the current band and looks forward to spending time with them doing what he loves 'writing and recording music'. If he cared solely about writing credits he would write songs on his own, bring them in as finished pieces and have Axl sing over them... he has stated he's not interested in doing so.

The problem here is, Ron actually wants the band to be a band, ya know writing, recording, promoting. he's frustrated and being completely honest... people like you read it and say "What's his angle?" "He's just trying to make money and get credits" etc, etc. the fact is, Ron could leave GnR tomorrow and have a pretty nice solo career and whatever else he does (teaching etc.) he's not in Guns just for the money, the money is a factor but that's not what floats his boat... if it was he probably wouldn't have spent 20yrs before that playing avant-garde shred music.

If I was going to make a big speech about any one current member who's looking for writing credits, I'd say that's DJ, he's been writing with Axl and the seem like real fast friends. DJ is the real business-driven guy in the band, Ron is an actual musician who cares about creativity, not just a brand name (yes I know he has hot sauces and guitar cases). You're naive if you believe any musician at any level of fame isn't in it for money and fame, everybody is but some people aren't completely consumed by it.

He's not diminishing interest in a new record, he's maintaining interest, even if that's just because he answers questions honestly and to the point. the only people diminishing interest in the next Guns N' Roses record are Guns N' Roses management, Guns N' Roses' Label and Axl himself... the interest is there, capitalize on it... release a record so we don't have to pretend to be detectives scrutinizing every word of every interview band members say.

What people? The same people that made CD such a smashing success? The people that make sure that every time you turn on the radio Better and TWAT are played back to back? The people that made the Best Buy deal the biggest exclusive in the history of music? Or are you just speaking on behalf of your own delusions?

I don't believe that MSL's conspiracy.

Fact is, Ron has made several disparaging comments regarding the next album containing the Chi Dem era tracks. The OP is my response to those comments. No conspiracy here.

List them. Edited by Damn_Smooth

We might have underestimated the amount of work Axl put on Chinese Democracy and the tracks made in that era. I mean Axl might be done creating music. He could have put everything he had into making new songs from 1998-2004.

What if Chinese Democracy is only 5, 10, or 15% of what he created in this period of time. The work he did in that time might have been for a lifetime.

With that said I could see why Axl is going to keep releasing songs made by guys who have been out of the band. They are his lifetime work, and it may be the slowest releases in history but they are going to make up the future albums of Guns N Roses.

Axl lets the new guys put a new spin on some of the work, but in almost all regards they are Axl's songs and he won't let that work be wasted.

I think Ron gets this sense and feels by the time the old stuff is released Axl won't be singing on any new albums of work. For him that is frustrating imagining never having a creative effort on a Guns album. The band he's been in for 7 years.

But this is all a theory that I just came up with so take it with a grain of salt. Who knows what Axl or Ron is thinking.

Because he wants to create, and not just add some icing on the top of an already finished cake. are you a musician? if you are you should understand where he's coming from, if you're not, I am - I like to create, especially when I find a group of musicians that inspire me... he's talked a lot about how great the band is.

He wants to release the old material too but he wants GnR to be relevant! releasing CD II finishes the CD saga but it does not! make it a relevant record in 2014/15/16 whenever it appears. GnR in 2014 have 8/9 members if 5 of those guys don't appear on the new record people are going to look at that and say it's a fucking joke.

Ron wants people to look at Guns as a real band, real bands release records with the current members playing/creating/writing/recording the songs. In my opinion releasing CD II would be a mistake, I can't see it being accepted well by people who didn't like CD I, and I think it will have a backlash due to the prominent position the old members play in the overall credits of the album. I have an interest in hearing it, like all CD fans but in the real world people won't buy OMG or silkworms, they are not hit singles... not even close. People want Guns to have some new influences, play some gutsy rock n roll and some sweeping ballads - anything less will be a disappointment to anyone that isn't a die-hard GnR fan.

I think Ron is frustrated that he's been in a band for nearly a decade and they haven't put out an album of material that he's written exclusively for.

How would you feel if people were asking you about songs that were written years before you joined a band? I can't imagine the process he went through with ChiDem - going into the studio for a day and being forced to add parts in to songs that he didn't help write - is something he'd want to do again as an active member of GN'R.

First of all, they should re-record the leftovers with Ron and DJ and release it. That would buy them time to work on a new album from scratch with the current band. That would be a good plan.

I noticed you are utilising the subjunctive mood?

The fact is, this band are a big joke: less a musical band, more a comic joke made at our expense. Just look at yourselves people! You are debating whether the next Guns N' Roses album should comprise tracks recorded twelve-fifteen years' ago by an old line-up, or whether it should comprise tracks recorded by the current line-up, who, despite existing since 2010, do not seem to be able to enter a studio together let alone release a whole album together; meanwhile, there is not the slightest intention as to a new album being emitted from band or management.

First of all, they should re-record the leftovers with Ron and DJ and release it. That would buy them time to work on a new album from scratch with the current band. That would be a good plan.

I noticed you are utilising the subjunctive mood?

The fact is, this band are a big joke: less a musical band, more a comic joke made at our expense. Just look at yourselves people! You are debating whether the next Guns N' Roses album should comprise tracks recorded twelve-fifteen years' ago by an old line-up, or whether it should comprise tracks recorded by the current line-up, who, despite existing since 2010, do not seem to be able to enter a studio together let alone release a whole album together; meanwhile, there is not the slightest intention as to a new album being emitted from band or management.

Actually, they've existed since 2009.

Tons of bands are able to write together on the road. They do nonstop touring and still release albums every few years. For some reason that's difficult for GnR.... Makes you wonder, has bumble even written anything with the guys? Or has he just been forced to rerecord over Bucket's parts?

I can't even imagine all the members of GnR sitting in a room together and recording a song. No offense to them, but I can't imagine Bumblefoot, Dj, or Frank even having any idea what to do if Axl pulled everyone into a room and said "Let's write an album"... Everyone in GnR is so different, and GnR does everything so strangely, it just seems close to impossible.

I agree.

Can I just pose the question, if Axl did not release Oklahoma in 1999 (written and recorded by the line-up as it was then), why would he release it in 2014?

The label or studio turned him down in 99 I believe. Idk if it's true or not but I think Axl struggled with managers, and label during this time. I personally think Axl wasn't ready to be back in the public eye.

The reason why he could release it in 2014 is it satisfies everyone's needs. You get new music, Axl doesn't have to start all over, and you make a few bucks off a new album because most of the work was done 15 years ago.

BREAKING NEWS : there's no "Next GNR album".

But most band members talked about one, up to the Pitman comment about not really trying that hard to do a new one. Which makes you loop round and just hope than can squeeze what ever they had left over on a Deluxe album or something.

When recently he was asked if the band has worked on tracks since 2008, stating "Together that we've finished? No. Playing on eachother's song idea's, Yes." Thus, re-positioning the question so that he can answer negatively with a "No." to a question that really should've been answered with a "Yes."

Well if Ron answered Yes to this question he would've had a follow up answer where the first part of his response would have been the answer. Plus it would lead to endless speculation.