The main reason about not having new music

Uncle Bob

According to all the past interviews we all know that Bumblefoot (more than any other member) wants to release GN'R music, Dj too, Tommy too, Richard too... But what does the other guys want?

Does Dizzy, Frank, Pittman and Axl to release new music?

This is what we exactly know about the band:

-Bumblefoot: He would love to release the Chinese sessions to then be able to make an album with the current band, he emailed Axl when Australia asking if they could go to studio, we don't know what Axl told him.

-Dj Ashba: He claims that he made some demos, we don't know if they have lyrics on them, also, he made his own version of Better, maybe for more songs. He said that he was on the studio with Axl on Las Vegas this year...

-Tommy Stinson: He's interested on release music, he said he would like to go to studio soon, and he thinks that the most reasonable thing to release would be a mixture of new and unreleased songs.

-Richard Fortus: He is always bulshitting us, saying they're always on studio and more stupid stuff. Anyways, is pretty obvious he's very interested on make music, and he even does a lot on The Dead Daisies because he can't release music with GN'R.

-Dizzy Reed: More or less the same as Richard.

-Frank Ferrer: Do we have any interview or declarations about new music or even about the band from Frank? XD

-Chris Pitman: He says there's a lot of stuff on the vault but they're not interested on release music, saying that they're good doing always the same thing and that the people doesn't buy records.

- Axl Rose: Long time ago he said that the Chinese sessions were going to be 3 albums. Since 2008 he said he doesn't care about when the new album is going to be released, he also said he wouldn't like to repeat the awful experience of being on the studio. Year by year, he says some stuff like they're going to put something, then he says it won't take so long like chinese, then he says "definitely maybe" to new music, he says they're thinking on releasing Silkworms at the end of 2013...

Axl has a lot of music on the vault, but he never said the main reason about why don't release it.

People that aren't band members:

Year by year Beta and Fernando always says stuff like "working on it" or shit like that. Del James shown us a exaggerated mentality about that Internet fucks de industry and then they can't release music, he says that they don't make money releasing music, more or less what Pitman said.

So what is the main reason? TB or Axl don't want to release music because won't make money?

Edited by Raykugen

I think there's many main reasons. The label has washed their hands with Axl, and are not gonna do anymore than the bare minimum for Axl unless he reunites the real deal. They got their money back and then some, so I don't think they have an issue actually releasing new nu music. But with public reception for cd being what it is, and cd II (as even said by Axl) being more or less on the same caliber to cd, they're not gonna do anymore for Axl than they're contractually obligated to.

Axl probably is under the impression that the label owes him more than they're willing to dish out these days. But the fact is, Axl had his chance, and he blew it.

And I think Axl just lost the passion and ambition to try and move forward, and is scared of further ridicule. He worn and torn, and just doesn't have it in him anymore. I think he's just content milking nostalgia for the rest of his career without having to admit he failed (creatively) and go crawling back to the old band.

That's it in a nutshell.

Edited by Bobbo
  • Like 2

Yeah, thinking about it, would anyone promote a possible CDII to the extent it would need, and would anyone outside of the saddo fans bother with it? Maybe they don't want another CD situation, and if they sit on it and tour then there's no danger of a CDII being critically mauled. Which is a damn shame. They may as well leak it all themselves and tour forever if that's the case.

I think people often over think the reasons behind the absence of new music from Rose.

Of course, I don't think he had any intent to release Chinese Democracy when it was released. I think the leaks and the label forced his hand.

I think he is basically going to follow the advice of Alan Niven, who opined that the Chinese Democracy album could never match the hype after so many years and that Rose should have released a song here and there rather than a full album. I suspect going forward, that is what we will see from Rose vis a vis new music, the occasional release of "new" music ("new" meaning unreleased rather than actual new recordings). That's not to say that he got that idea from Niven, but I don't see a new album release in Rose's future.

I'm still of the opinion that he was bitter about the release of Chinese Democracy, and was disappointed in the reception, at least in so far as album sales and radio airplay are concerned. I imagine he doesn't want even worse album sales with the release of a new album. Better to release a song or two and then play them live.

When I look at the 2006 Rock Am Ring show, and see how into the performance Rose was, and then compare that to everything which has happened after the release of Chinese Democracy, I'm convinced that it was the release of Chinese Democracy which soured Rose on both performing and in releasing a new album. He'll still tour, as it pays the bills, but he's not going to make money releasing new music, and I'm not aware of any post-release show which comes close to the Rock Am Ring show.

I think axl is afraid that the next album will end up like CD.

Even in the 2008 chats, he seemed happy about the release. The music videos, etc. CD and Better got good radio play at the time, then SOD was released as a single and flopped, I think that upset him. I think that was one of the songs that meant a lot to him. He played it since 2001, it was a staple. And he released it as a single and it basically did nothing.

In all honesty though, he blew that song after he got rid of the more upbeat tempo it had in 2001/2002.

I think part of it is the record company, and I think the other part of it is that axl is afraid that a new album will be a radio flop like CD. The main reason why CD was a flop though was 99.8 percent Axl.

I think there's many main reasons. The label has washed their hands with Axl, and are not gonna do anymore than the bare minimum for Axl unless he reunites the real deal. They got their money back and then some, so I don't think they have an issue actually releasing new nu music. But with public reception for cd being what it is, and cd II (as even said by Axl) being more or less on the same caliber to cd, they're not gonna do anymore for Axl than they're contractually obligated to.

Axl probably is under the impression that the label owes him more than they're willing to dish out these days. But the fact is, Axl had his chance, and he blew it.

And I think Axl just lost the passion and ambition to try and move forward, and is scared of further ridicule. He worn and torn, and just doesn't have it in him anymore. I think he's just content milking nostalgia for the rest of his career without having to admit he failed (creatively) and go crawling back to the old band.

That's it in a nutshell.

Pretty much.

I often wonder what his passion in life is nowadays. Back in the '90s it was clearly the music. It was quite obvious he invested an exorbitant amount of time on music videos, legal contracts and writing. Nowadays I get the sense he's not interested anymore. I think he just likes to travel and uses his current band as his means to see the world, which in all honesty is a really good idea.

He probably doesn't feel like releasing new music. It's likely not that complicated. There's a lot that goes into getting new music out, and Axl is on step one. He's been through the process before and knows it's a big mental and physical effort. It's something he doesn't want to waste his energy on right now. He seems like he has been traveling more lately, and enjoying other things.

Someone might say "well Other artist release 3 albums a year...why can't Axl" my only answer is Axl is working with A big name band. There's a lot of strings attached to Guns N Roses. The process is not as simple as we would like to think it is.

When Axl is ready to release new music things will go really quiet again. No tour announcements, no updates, or anything. It will be silence for 2 plus years. We've seen it before, when Axl wants to do something it will consume 100% of his attention. So far I see no signs that Axl is getting ready to prepare a studio album.

I think the main reason is the label. whether they just don't want give them money for CD era songs they think they already paid for, don't want to pay for final touches of those tracks, reject them all anyway as not worth putting out and promoting in a real way. A lot of stuff coming from the band is like we're not in a rush, they kind of want to do a separate album from CD. Maybe bring some old CD stuff into it, probably Axl's songs then Fortus, Dj and Ron adding stuff but there is no project that they've started or gone into the studio. So you sort of think maybe just release the CD stuff, if the label will let them. Or why not just just tour adding Scraped and Prostiute and Goin' Down and just wait it out again til the label are ready. Or air some new songs live to see what plays for a future release.

Edited by wasted

Guys, I am a HUGE gnr fan and have been since AFD was released. Yes, an older fan here. Stood in line to buy UYIs got to see them countless times in HUGE stadiums and really got to see the real band and know why they WERE so huge. I love all the blind support and excuses (I do it too) that we all make for the lack of anything solid from this line up. Not really sure what going on tour again to cover the same songs is really going to accomplish besides making this current line up more of a joke. I keep reading about "how other bands go on tour with no new music", but in reality, those bands have MOST of the members still with them. Then their are threads like this current one. Excuse after excuse about why no music. The bottom line and only answer? AXL DOES NOT WANT TO. Anyone listen to the radio? New music comes out weekly its pretty simple. Lets stop with the label, old band members, law suites, blah blah blah. When Axl broke up one of the greatest bands of all time, he said "I want to move in a different direction". We still have no idea what this means as all he does is tour old music that has nothing to do with nugnr. This current line up is talented, but we all ask for "new" songs to be played like OMG, silkworms and UYIs songs? those are 20 years old. where is the NEW music????

Edited by fabrph5

We're on Axl time now.

That's probably a lot of it, and the impression I get is that Axl is really big on over-thinking everything, to the point where nothing is ever good enough to be considered done. IIRc, those were the original excuses for being late on stage: he had to get his voice just right or whatever. It's like a sense of perfectionism turns into procrastination.

Axl will delay all he can releasing anything.

Label is best excuse of course.

Playing the classics without the classics is a joke.

Axl fears to flop again so he feels more comfortable being just a juke box. Easy game

And No risks.

Coward & Hoarder Im afraid.

Theres no label would deny a finish album from Axl.

NONE!!!!!!!

Things happen when and if Axl wants things to happen. As long as he remains unwilling/unable to record new music, GNR does not record new music. On the other hand, if there were some mythic finished album of CD b sides and whatnots. it'd simply get released.

Imo it is a bit strange how many people conviniently forget all this and come up with ridiculous apology odes and conspiracy theories ( see post below mine) about record labels that don't want to put finished records out.lol.

Edited by LTD

There are lots of reasons that are likely in play:

Label politics

Legal issues from former managers, band members, etc.

Axl’s perfectionism/disillusionment

Current band member schedules

Current band member egos/politics

If GN’R were a nostalgia act they really wouldn’t play Chinese Democracy songs (and it definitely wouldn’t open the shows), he sure as hell wouldn’t take a risk like Governor’s Ball, he probably wouldn’t have done the Up Close & Personal Tour and he’d probably expedite the process of releasing back catalogue songs.

Axl does things, it seems, when he’s ready and when all those other elements fall into line.

I think Axl has lost his inspiration and has said all he wants to say.

I think the pressure of writing new music is something Axl doesn't want in his life anymore.

When GNR tour, they still bring out the fans and they have so many amazing songs that never get old when you hear them.

I think Axl is done with people telling him what to do and doesn't like how they handle his music.

Whatever the reason, it's something big because I'm sure Axl would have written songs by now even if the record company gives him hell for it. He's just tired of the whole business end of it.