"I always joke that I play guitar for a hobby and that really I'm an entrepreneur" says DJ Ashba, seemingly without irony or self awareness

TeeJay410

Yeah cuz all self respecting entrepreneurs go around dressed like a twat with make up on eh? :lol:

Doesn't really matter how you dress today

Sure, go to your next job interview in Ashba Swag. You'll nail it.

All I am saying things have changed in the last 20 years.

I am part of management and I come into work with t-shirt and jeans.

Nobody gives a fuck as long as my shit is taken care of.

The whole lot of them have the formula down. This is where I about have to puke when someone chimes in about "artist"

For years now its been a rehash of GNR86-93 with a couple of "new" songs . None of them with DJ being front and center have to do one thing more or less than what they are doing now to move GNR forward ...the shows are usually 3/4 to full house... people dig the old stuff and they respond to market forces. No risk involved. Who cares if the fans bitch about having anything new from them? Like Pittman drove the point home.. theres no need(in their opinion) to record a new album.

Good on him ..figured out how to live the life of a rockstar without having to put in the sweat equity that Slash, Duff and Izzy put in and ADD anything provocative and new to the mix. plays into the whole discussion of Authentic or Copy Cat? Plays into the notion that GNR in the new era is really about the past and the road show is cash cow to pad the cofferes. Less about the legacy enjoyed by the iconic bands as much as getting what you can while you can for as long as you can.

Yeah cuz all self respecting entrepreneurs go around dressed like a twat with make up on eh? :lol:

Hmmm

- Blatantly ignoring facts... check

- Trying to make everything that's wrong sound right... check

- Constantly making claims based on warped statistics... check

- Vindictive towards people that left the "company"... check

- Constantly making false claims... check

- Not giving people their deserved credit... check

- Telling people the red ball is actually blue... check

Yep. You certainly do sound like a manager!

dilbert-pointy-haired-boss.png

• Like 2

Hmmm

- Blatantly ignoring facts... check

- Trying to make everything that's wrong sound right... check

- Constantly making claims based on warped statistics... check

- Vindictive towards people that left the "company"... check

- Constantly making false claims... check

- Not giving people their deserved credit... check

- Telling people the red ball is actually blue... check

Yep. You certainly do sound like a manager!

dilbert-pointy-haired-boss.png

Is something wrong? I wear t-shirt and jeans to work....is that ok with you your highness?

What I find laughable is the amount of people who bash Bumble but this guy does the what Bumble does multiplied by 10. DJ is a poor, generic guitar player (listen to Sixx-AM, it's god awful... like Drowning pool or seether) he sells horrible clothes and he has little to no integrity when it comes to GnR "new music is absolutely our main priority, DJ 2011". He will never rock the boat as he knows he's on to a good thing. seems like a nice guy, but I have no time for him.

Bumble and Richard could handle guitar duties in GnR, DJ is not going anywhere though.

:fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou:

Sixx: A.M., Drowning Pool and Seether are all great bands

What I find laughable is the amount of people who bash Bumble but this guy does the what Bumble does multiplied by 10. DJ is a poor, generic guitar player (listen to Sixx-AM, it's god awful... like Drowning pool or seether) he sells horrible clothes and he has little to no integrity when it comes to GnR "new music is absolutely our main priority, DJ 2011". He will never rock the boat as he knows he's on to a good thing. seems like a nice guy, but I have no time for him.

Bumble and Richard could handle guitar duties in GnR, DJ is not going anywhere though.

:fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou::fuckyou:

Sixx: A.M., Drowning Pool and Seether are all great bands

They are relevant in todays music business.

You guys are funny. Getting the new year off to a good start.

They make fun of the way Slash dresses..........but then praise how DJ dresses and says that people's "looks" don't matter. Bit of a double standard there.

Drowning Pool's last album sold 6,500 copies in its opening week. The album before sold 10,000 in its opening week. They aren't very relevant.

Did Sixx AM's last album even go platinum? Gold?

Wf*ckinga - It's OK dude if people don't like the same music you do!!! No need to get mad and flip them 25 middle fingers just because they like different bands.

AND people are actually defending DJ's statement? His statement is EXACTLY what's wrong with him and the current version of GnR.

I'd rather Axl hire a couple young up-and-coming guitar players than 40-year old guys who are session players and who care more about their side clothing businesses than they do about being a rock star. I wish Axl would hire people who would make GnR their number one priority.

• Like 1

Hiring DJ might be the biggest indictment of Axl's integrity there's ever been.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I guess you're finally over Axl's diabolical, masterminded takeover of GnR and how he swindled those poor rubes out of the name.

I'm surprised to hear you say that. I guess you're finally over Axl's diabolical, masterminded takeover of GnR and how he swindled those poor rubes out of the name.

You got me wrong. I mean, I never agreed with Axl on the whole name thing, but I thought he believed in what he was doing, and that was enough for me to look past what I thought was a shitty move on his part, and I really thought I was going to love whatever Axl came out with under the GNR name. He ended up taking forever to release it and I thought it sucked and then he started phoning in live performances, and that's how my attitude took a turn. I've never been a hardcore reunionist.

Hiring DJ, though? That's about as cynical as it gets.

You got me wrong. I mean, I never agreed with Axl on the whole name thing, but I thought he believed in what he was doing, and that was enough for me to look past what I thought was a shitty move on his part, and I really thought I was going to love whatever Axl came out with under the GNR name. He ended up taking forever to release it and I thought it sucked and then he started phoning in live performances, and that's how my attitude took a turn. I've never been a hardcore reunionist.

Hiring DJ, though? That's about as cynical as it gets.

That's what the Axl worship team members don't understand.

In the end, most of us don't really care that much about the name thing. It was a dickhead move for Axl to pull, but in the overall scheme of life it really has NO effect on our lives. Just like when our favorite sports team makes a bad trade or makes a bad draft pick. We might complain about it, but that doesn't mean we have stopped supporting the team.

What the worshippers don't understand is that most of us really do want Axl to be successful. I personally would LOVE it if Axl was more successful with DJ and Pittman and the current band than he was with the classic line-up. I hope CD2 sells 30 million copies and produces 7 number one hits and routinely gets voted as the best hard rock album of all time. Then I hope that two years after releasing CD2 that GnR releases CD3 and it outperforms CD2! I hope it sells 40 million albums and is instantly considered the best album of all time.

I would love nothing better than to see Axl release 10 albums with this current band, and have every one of those 10 albums be considered masterpieces that are better than Appetite and the Illusions.

I'd love it if we were here in 2014 arguing about which album had the best songs. If CD3 was better than Appetite. If The General was better than Estranged. If we were arguing in the "rank GnR's albums" topic and I thought that Appetite was GnR's seventh best album, just behind the current band's fourth release.

But instead, we argue about moves that Fernando and Beta are making. Videos and concert DVDs that aren't released. Why Dj is better than Slash. When is GnR going to release a new album, as it's "only" been five years since the last one.

I wish this current band would be more successful than the Izzy/Slash/Duff line-up. It's really too bad that Axl/Fernando/Beta won't even let the current band step up to the plate and have a chance.

While working in Vegas today, I saw an AshbaSwag billboard and it upset me greatly.

photo or GTFO.................... :lol:

LOL. I was driving up an on ramp toward the freeway when I saw it or I would have taken a picture haha. I was all over the area today and only saw the one, but if I go over there tomorrow or see another, I'll post a pic. It literally mad my sad though.

DJ's image and stage presence, phonie or not, makes him charismatic and therefore easily hated/loved... And there's no denying the dude seems like a truly productive and talented entrepreneur. On a Gn'R perspective he's got great stage chemistry with Axl and that's hugely important.

he's does have some sort of star power/presence that Ron and Fortus don't have. If you show a pic of Dj to a random person they'd guess Motely Crue or some guitar player. If you show pic Ron they say Jethro Tull/Billy Connelly?

Dj is just the right mold, he's like a Motley and GNR fan. Mick Mars meets Slash with some Tim Burton thrown in.

Don't forget the gay, because there was a whole metric shit ton of that thrown in.
The landscape has changed, maybe the technology means it attracts different people, the audiences have changed. Its not just dudes and lads. Theres not many fuck you rebellious guys like the 70s. Its pop glam opera metal everywhere. And Dj is like harder edge of that. Like i night have said its a world away from Guns pre-afd roots. But Axl does seem to like a broad range of music Queen and ELO arent the hardest stuff out there. In fact I think GNR have tried to stay current. AFD was in keeping with times enough. They sounded new in 89. UYI were more raw for the 90s. Less glam. CD took on the late 90s influences. And now Dj has the 00s covered.