Guns N’ Roses insider and author Marc Canter gives an EPIC interview with LRI

Nobody ever said that, however Guns may have just as many if not more songs written than the old band. How is it ridiculous, asking why, if Duff and Matt were in New GN'R, Slash wouldn't join?

Uh, because Slash was a huge fuckin' star

That's disrespectful to the other guys especially Duff.

It's not though. It's just realistic. Slash and Axl were huge. The other guys, Duff included, weren't at their level of stardom, so if they desired to have hefty paychecks continue to come their ways, they needed to align with stars bigger than themselves. Neither Slash nor Axl had that problem. And I think that's one of the sources behind resentment toward Axl over keeping the name. If you're going to do a whole new thing with all new musicians and a different sound where you call all the shots, why do you need to keep the name? You're Axl fuckin' Rose! Just have at it on your own if that's how you're gonna do it anyway.

• Like 1

And that "NuGuns" has just as many songs and albums as the current "NuGuns." :lol:

You guys are ridiculous.

Maybe Axl is not the evil dictator you guys make him out to be?

As a matter of fact I have never heard anyone say anything negative towards about Axl that actually knows him and that has played music and hung out with him.

eg. Zack, Neil Young, Lars, Angry Anderson, Brain, Robin etc...

In a way both Axl and Slash were both dictators to each other. Both telling the other one how things should be done and who would play in the band. They wanted different things and at that time it couldn't be worked out between them.

What if Izzy was still around at the time? Could he have been the middle guy to make it work?

I think if Izzy was still there,they would have had a lot less to argue about and had a much better chance to work things out. Plus Slash and Izzy work well together they worked off each other very well. however a year latted when Izzy was back for about 2 weeks nothing got worked out between Axl and Slash.

And that "NuGuns" has just as many songs and albums as the current "NuGuns." :lol:

You guys are ridiculous.

As a matter of fact I have never heard anyone say anything negative towards about Axl that actually knows him and that has played music and hung out with him.

In a way both Axl and Slash were both dictators to each other. Both telling the other one how things should be done and who would play in the band. They wanted different things and at that time it couldn't be worked out between them.

What if Izzy was still around at the time? Could he have been the middle guy to make it work?

I think if Izzy was still there,they would have had a lot less to argue about and had a much better chance to work things out. Plus Slash and Izzy work well together they worked off each other very well. however a year latted when Izzy was back for about 2 weeks nothing got worked out between Axl and Slash.

For what I read there were many issues. Axl brought Paul Tobias because he just felt like. Axl didn´t care about Slash and Duff think about him. Axl wanted to force them to work with Paul. They didn´t like the guy as a musican and to some degree as a person as well. Also Zack Wylde was in the picture. They didn´t have a problem with him. But at the same time they didn´t see the point about bringing him into the band. Axl was deciding things. And he couldn´t care less about Slash and Duff opinions. I don´t think that was fair to them.

No

Not surprised one bit.
Why would Slash like someone who took the job he desperately wants?
You are right...he seems the most bitter out of all the ex-members and he's the one that actually quit lol

He didn't quit. He just didn't join the new band that Axl formed. In the same breath you could say that Axl was the one who quit the old band and started a new one. Either way it doesn't matter neither one wanted to work with the other ones terms.

That sums it up right there. Marc Canter who knows more about GN'R than anyone says that Slash didn't quit. Let's see you GNR-Educators try and argue with that.

• Like 1

No

Not surprised one bit.
You are right...he seems the most bitter out of all the ex-members and he's the one that actually quit lol
I don't blame him, it is much better for him to NOT getting stuck with one album in 20 years...

LRI: Slash ended up going to the Hall Of Fame but originally he put out a blurb in the press saying how the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame didn’t really mean that much to him before issuing a clarification a few days later saying he understands it’s a great honor. What’s your take on where his head was at on that?

Marc: He lies.

LRI: Huh ??!!!(laughs).

Marc: No, seriously Slash lies

Fuck I am out of "likes"

everybody lies

if you believe that rock stars are honest people you're delusional as fuck

You guys are ridiculous.

For what I read there were many issues. Axl brought Paul Tobias because he just felt like. Axl didn´t care about Slash and Duff think about him. Axl wanted to force them to work with Paul. They didn´t like the guy as a musican and to some degree as a person as well. Also Zack Wylde was in the picture. They didn´t have a problem with him. But at the same time they didn´t see the point about bringing him into the band. Axl was deciding things. And he couldn´t care less about Slash and Duff opinions. I don´t think that was fair to them.

Yes but at the same time Slash gave Axl the Snakepit record and said this is what we are going to record. Like I said it works both ways

I wish more people would understand they were both difficult to work with at the time. It's not like Slash was a breeze to work with.

Kinda makes me believe Axl when he talked about how Slash was hoarding the Fall To Pieces riff and whatever guitar parts Slash already had for that song.

And when Axl brought in November Rain, Estranged, and later on Oh My God the rest of them didn't want to work on those, so on one hand, they didn't believe in him and/or liked his ideas, and on the other, when he liked something like the Fall To Pieces riff or didn't like what Slash presented as pretty much close to finished songs (snakepit) Slash didn't give him any freedom to change it.

That's not how a band works. At least that's not how Guns N' Roses worked. Not even on UYI. They were falling apart also cause they lost sight of the big picture which was more then what the personal ambitions of each one of them were.

They thought they could promote their own idea of what it should be like, there wasn't enough compromise if any and no one was gonna budge. It wasn't all on Axl imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

You think Axl should have had the right to change parts of Fall To Pieces? What would have happened if Slash tried to change some of Axl's lyrics?

Slash didn't even let him work on it, let alone change it. (according to Axl)

It will be more like Axl not allowing Slash to put music to his lyrics and vocal melodies.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

but you gotta give Slash and Duff credit for "not seeing the potential in OMG", because....it's just soooo far away from Guns sound and actually a bad song, too.

it's a good song that could've worked

Yes but the guys especially Slash didn't want to evolve and get out of the basic rock routine that's been done to death.

and so we got the "ultimate" OMG "demo" without Duff and Slash....and what happened? barely anyone knows this song, let alone the normal general public even heard of, neither did i ever hear it on radio and, surprise, it got off the Axl setlist very fast aswell.

and you tell me it's an awesome song, ouch!

and so we got the "ultimate" OMG "demo" without Duff and Slash....and what happened? barely anyone knows this song, let alone the normal general public even heard of, neither did i ever hear it on radio and, surprise, it got off the Axl setlist very fast aswell.

and you tell me it's an awesome song, ouch!

Just because a song is not a #1 hit doesn't mean its not any good.

There is probably thousands of songs I would appreciate out there by unknown bands but I will never get to hear them.

Edited by volcano62

but you gotta give Slash and Duff credit for "not seeing the potential in OMG", because....it's just soooo far away from Guns sound and actually a bad song, too.

Yes but the guys especially Slash didn't want to evolve and get out of the basic rock routine that's been done to death.

You can't blame them though, that song is full of disco beats and electronica/industrial weirdness. Stuff that other bands were already doing, and doing it much better.

Oh My God is not a bad song but is definitely far from "evolving".

Stuff that other bands were already doing, and doing it much better.

This is true. Axl went NIN with his music but the difference was that Axl's music sucked.

LRI: Slash ended up going to the Hall Of Fame but originally he put out a blurb in the press saying how the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame didn’t really mean that much to him before issuing a clarification a few days later saying he understands it’s a great honor. What’s your take on where his head was at on that?

Fuck I am out of "likes"

Marc, I must apologize for Volcano. He actually hates Slash more than Axl does and is under this weird obsession where he thinks that if he insults everything Slash does, while praising everything that Axl does, that someday Beta or Fernando will invite him into the GnR inner-circle. You saying that Slash "lies" was literally the 8th best thing that has happened to Volcano in the past decade.

But thanks for contributing to the forum. It is cool to hear from somebody who actually interacted with the old band. Thanks!

• Like 1

Fuck I am out of "likes"

Marc, I must apologize for Volcano. He actually hates Slash more than Axl does and is under this weird obsession where he thinks that if he insults everything Slash does, while praising everything that Axl does, that someday Beta or Fernando will invite him into the GnR inner-circle. You saying that Slash "lies" was literally the 8th best thing that has happened to Volcano in the past decade.

But thanks for contributing to the forum. It is cool to hear from somebody who actually interacted with the old band. Thanks!

Marc, I must apologize for Groghan. Everything he just posted is a lie especially this imaginary "invite" he has made up in his head.

I have already made a report to the mods about him instigating in your area of the forum.

Marc, when Axl requested Slash to write songs, did he ask Slash something in particular? I mean Axl said "hey I want a bunch of Coma type of songs" Because if Axl only told Slash to write whatever well there isn´t much room to complain. Don´t get me wrong I don´t think the Snakepit songs should be GN´R songs. I have It´s Five O Clock Somewhere and it´s far from being a masterpiece. And Slash should´ve seen that.

Fuck I am out of "likes"

Marc, I must apologize for Groghan. Everything he just posted is a lie especially this imaginary "invite" he has made up in his head.

I have already made a report to the mods about him instigating in your area of the forum.

Guys, please keep the topic on track and don't drag personal baggage into it. I'm directing that toward both of you. I don't want to have to delete posts, but if the track gets derailed I'll have to end up doing that. Keep it civilized.

No

Not surprised one bit.

And please also cut out crap like this that's intended solely to provoke people and get arguments going.

Thanks.

Marc, when Axl requested Slash to write songs, did he ask Slash something in particular? I mean Axl said "hey I want a bunch of Coma type of songs" Because if Axl only told Slash to write whatever well there isn´t much room to complain. Don´t get me wrong I don´t think the Snakepit songs should be GN´R songs. I have It´s Five O Clock Somewhere and it´s far from being a masterpiece. And Slash should´ve seen that.

IMO if Axl, Duff and even Izzy had input on the Snakepit material some of it might have made a GNR album.

Fuck I am out of "likes"

Guys, please keep the topic on track and don't drag personal baggage into it. I'm directing that toward both of you. I don't want to have to delete posts, but if the track gets derailed I'll have to end up doing that. Keep it civilized.

No

Not surprised one bit.

And please also cut out crap like this that's intended solely to provoke people and get arguments going.

Thanks.

Thanks ER...

well, there is a reason why most GN'R fans go nuts for Jungle, SCOM etc. but not for OMG ;)

Snakepit CD "envolving"....same with any other old band member incl. Axl's "Chinese D.":
all miss out the other 4 important members to get the magic goin'.

but it's probably too late anyway, the circumstances changed so much starting with success, money and girls.

dude just because OMG is good, doesnt mean it has to surpass jungle or scom, they're songs that are already legendary. It has nothing to do with the song itself, sure they good but is scom better than estranged from an artistic point of view ? fuck no!

So omg is a good song yes, better than a lot of gnr songs BUT of course that neither omg nor anything gnr might release in the future will be better than scom or jungle or afd. Hell, even if a reunion happened and the 5 "original" guys wrote the best album ever, it would still fail in comparison to already established songs!