01-01-01 13 years later

The best Gn'R gig, ever. So much new music was played that night, as well as old songs that hadn't been played in YEARS (in some cases, since 1986!) The 01 lineup was by far the best GN'R has ever had. And the setlist that night was incredible. What do you think about this show now? I wonder if Axl will come back this year like he did in 2001 and play a shit ton of new songs, look and sound great, and have a tight band behind him.

The band was too freekish looking for most Gn'R fans, too many guitar players, and Axl's trademark rasp was MIA. Meh, not that great in my book and certainly a far cry from real Gn'R...

Edited by trqster
  • Like 1

I agree this line up was too freakish and Axl didn't sound real good. I love the energy and new music. But I have to say its hard to get into new material at a concert. I think they should release it thru iTunes or some other outlet ahead of time. This would give people time to get into it and learn some lyrics while looking forward to the live show.

Edited by yourcrazy

As far as I am concerned, in regards to 'Nu gnr', it has been downhill ever since that show, that show and Rio 3 that is. (This was the height of my support for the new band by the way.) Axl actually had balls there as he not only played his first shows in seven or so years, but did it with a completely different line-up and decided to play five or so brand spanking new songs. It was almost Neil Youngesque. But, 'Chinese Democracy starts now': little did I know that it would take eight more years for it to 'start', and, under the proviso that Axl, the artist (as seen at Vegas and Rio 3), would turn into, Axl, the cheesy Vegas nostalgia merchant.

• Like 1

Axl didn't sound or look good in 2001. Great set list, shame no one at the gig was really that interested in the new songs.

What!?

He was a hell of a lot better looking and sounding then than now

Read what I said, in no way did I say anything about how he looks now. At the beginning of '01 he was overweight and his voice was very poor. I know he's not great now but at least he has his moments. Rio 3 was a great gig in terms of the bands energy but it took Axl 5 years to get back into good shape again.

Axl didn't sound or look good in 2001. Great set list, shame no one at the gig was really that interested in the new songs.

What!?

He was a hell of a lot better looking and sounding then than now

There isn't a performance of any song in '01-'02 that comes close to matching an average performance of You're Crazy during the never ending tour.

Don't like the vibe nuGnR had back in 2001 and 2002. Of course it was a very talented band but Axl looked and sounded really bad and the overall band imagery was messed up. It also felt like they were just a bunch of individual players paid to play together and put up with one another rather than a band. Yes, that is the case and always has been with nuGuns N' Roses but it was too obvious in 2002. Of course, CD came from that era and I love it so songwriting-wise, this was their peak and Axl seemed excited about the future, but in terms of live shows, nuGnR reached their peak in '06, IMO. Axl was on fire, he was agressive, his voice was amazing, he looked awesome and the band was tight. Brain sounded a lot better than he did in 2002, Finck actually looked like someone in GnR instead of a hired member, Pitman put less effects into songs like SCOM and YCBM and Axl still had that fuel, still had that attitude. The only thing that was better in 2002 was Bucket's Nightrain and KOHD, IMO.

• Like 2

Don't like the vibe nuGnR had back in 2001 and 2002. Of course it was a very talented band but Axl looked and sounded really bad and the overall band imagery was messed up. It also felt like they were just a bunch of individual players paid to play together and put up with one another rather than a band. Yes, that is the case and always has been with nuGuns N' Roses but it was too obvious in 2002. Of course, CD came from that era and I love it so songwriting-wise, this was their peak and Axl seemed excited about the future, but in terms of live shows, nuGnR reached their peak in '06, IMO. Axl was on fire, he was agressive, his voice was amazing, he looked awesome and the band was tight. Brain sounded a lot better than he did in 2002, Finck actually looked like someone in GnR instead of a hired member, Pitman put less effects into songs like SCOM and YCBM and Axl still had that fuel, still had that attitude. The only thing that was better in 2002 was Bucket's Nightrain and KOHD, IMO.

Pitman's electronics in SCOM and YCBM were incredible :fuckyou:

But I agree, Bucket had the BEST Nightrain solo

Great show. It's even more of a cuiro considering the fact that this was really one of the last times a show like this could be held with no fan recorded footage and only a handful of photographs circulating.

All we have is audio and the few pics on GNROnTour.com . I'm interested in the final 2 2001 shows though, no audio curculating, no video circulating, and a select number of pictures:

Anyone else miss "This is a new song" said with pride by Axl?

Absolutely!

I have watched RIR 01 that many times I can hear Axl saying that now in my head...crazy stuff!

We can dream that, maybe, the man will utter those words once more...