Would CD have made it "the best album ever" if released as a standard 10-track album?

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Cather In The Rye

3. Madagascar

4. Shackler's Revenge

5. Sorry

6. IRS

7. Street Of Dreams

8. If The World

9. Better

10. Prostitute

Something like this would have been great. This one sounds pretty f-ckin awsome imo. 53 min is enough.

Late Edit: replacing track 6, TWAT with IRS.

Edited by Fin

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Cather In The Rye

3. Madagascar

4. Shackler's Revenge

5. Sorry

6. There Was A Time

7. Street Of Dreams

8. If The World

9. Better

10. Prostitute

Something like this would have been great. This one sounds pretty f-ckin awsome imo. 53 min is enough.

No

• Like 2

I'd leae off:

Shackler's

Scraped

Sorry

TIL

Then replace the other track by earlier versions of them. Still no chance of it being a hit though. Unless it'd have been released in 2000/2001.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

Yeah, I love the album, but there's no songs on it that could ever become as legendary as for example Welcome To The Jungle. The order doesn't matter cause the songs just aren't good enough. The best album ever would need at least two songs that could be considered legendary. CD doesn't have even one. It's a great record but not a masterpiece.

Besides, in my opinion one of the biggest problems with the album is that there's too many slow/midtempo songs on it. So taking away two faster rock songs is not an improvement. I know Scraped and Riad are kinda fillers but at least they bring some kind of energy to the record. Otherwise the album would be boring as fuck. I'd rather take away If The World and Madagascar.

Madagascar is a lot better than Estranged.

Cather In The Rye is a lot better than Yesterdays.

There Was A Time is better than Breakdown.

Sorry is better than Don't Cry.

Street of Dreams is just as good as November Rain.

Shackler's Revenge is a more high-tech Perfect Crime.

Prostitute is a lot better than Rocket Queen.

Etc

CD would be legendary only for Maddie. And with all the great songs, it's just incredibly overlooked.

Madagascar is a lot better than Estranged.

Cather In The Rye is a lot better than Yesterdays.

There Was A Time is better than Breakdown.

Sorry is better than Don't Cry.

Street of Dreams is just as good as November Rain.

Shackler's Revenge is a more high-tech Perfect Crime.

Prostitute is a lot better than Rocket Queen.

Etc

CD would be legendary only for Maddie. And with all the great songs, it's just incredibly overlooked.

• Like 1

Album would have done even better if released near 2002.

It was fresh

People still bought CD's regularly.

I disagree with the people still bought cd's part mattering that much, but I do agree very much that it'd have done a LOT better then. Preferably in 2000 even. There was more excitement and anticipation about it. There wasn't the enormous pressure because it took so long. There wasn't the big wait and the becoming a neverending story. Plus, if OMG and the demo's of TWAT, IRS and Catcher are anything to go by, would've fit in the popular music scene at the time much better. Particularly the 1998-2000 scene.

• Like 1

CD playlist order should have been more schizo like UYI I & II playlist order. It would have benefited heavily from being that.

I'm strongly negative to the CD-Shacklers-Better kick off of the album since it leads the listener into thinking the album is pretty one-way-high-tech rock n roll.

It's like Axl wanted to please the mainstream a bit to much with making the tracklist more easy going and paradoxiacally things got more difficult.

I think it has good flow like it is. There's a momentum to each side. Especially on vinyl you notice how each side builds to a climax.

That's kind of my point. CD shouldn't have to build up to a climax. It should be climax all the way from start to finnish. Which it pretty much is with the OP suggested playlist.

It really makes no difference what order or the songs left in or left out. The album simply did not find its niche for a myriad of reasons.

Theres a strong point that the music is avante garde' and unique.. ill buy into that.. it is. Theres the argument that the band and the music is "stronger and more focused" ...I dont buy into that completely. They are exceptionally talented and they are top professionals yet for reasons that are baffling seem stalled out . The psuedo GNR band stigma dogs them only because they have yet to write and record music that a) has a cultural impact b) isnt as cohesive or as appealing as legacy GNR C) focuses on their particular talent and expression... in trying to reformulate the workable GNR sound they are not authentic in their own sound and expression and is furthered by the heavy reliance in their shows on material that is now 20 to 25 years old.

By 2008.. GNR also had to establish that they were not just another relic/dinosaour 80's bar band trying to make a comeback. That the word COMEBACk was ever applied to GNR and moreso Axl..made the CD phenomenon almost doomed to failure by most standards in the general publics mind. When GNR left off in 93 they were the kings of the world and had established that they were amoung the iconic bands in history...aside for the love and adoration that the legacy band enjoyed, there was the music that resonated through a generation and is heard to this day world round. The image, lifestyle, backstory and the exposure that GNR had in 87-93 was over the top...Axls appeal was a reflection of a generations anger and angst. That fire in the belly -rant and rave observation was and still is the one factor that seperates Axl from all the other singers in his era. The music fit the times and the emotions of the masses. It really is as simple as that alone if there is one comment that can be made about AFD, Lies, and UYI's .

By the time BH and FInk were presented most of the general public had adapted to a world instantanious continuous music..and that diluted the listening public somewhat because there were so many gnere's of music hitting the market with new and young bands to pay attention to. I contend that the one mistake above all others Axl made with nuGNR was not showcasing them more.. we heard about them, but knew nothing about what was really going on and they came and went in a blink of the eye. The message and the image of GNR was a mess.. and the odd silence just pissed off most people to the degree that they wrote GNR in the new era off and that was the line in the sand that still stands today.

The songs themselves are appealing to some and discusting to others ..with lyrical content being akin to nonsensical in some areas and completely underwhelming in others. I suspect that those that dig GNR now like CD because they sound like someone else and less like classic legacy era GNR. Fresh" if thats the word.

Had the album dropped in 2002... the market and the the sound would have been THE leader of the parade for that decade...but by 2008 the buildup and the anticipation had become somewhat of a joke.... while most of us listened to the bootlegs and the leaks as an indication as to where GNR was going... CD for the hardcore fan base was old before it was even new.

... CD for the hardcore fan base was old before it was even new.

Possible but not really relevant. Im talking about greatest album ever made as far as reviewers are concerned. They certainly didn't spend hundreds of hours listening to the demos.

Neither did the general audience.