Would CD have made it "the best album ever" if released as a standard 10-track album?

Madagascar is a lot better than Estranged.

Cather In The Rye is a lot better than Yesterdays.

There Was A Time is better than Breakdown.

Sorry is better than Don't Cry.

Street of Dreams is just as good as November Rain.

Shackler's Revenge is a more high-tech Perfect Crime.

Prostitute is a lot better than Rocket Queen.

Etc

CD would be legendary only for Maddie. And with all the great songs, it's just incredibly overlooked.

What the fuck is wrong with this world? Seriously. :blink:

In a nutshell? Naïve kids looking for attention cos they're pissed that they missed the real thing.

• Like 1

Etc

CD would be legendary only for Maddie. And with all the great songs, it's just incredibly overlooked.

In a nutshell? Naïve kids looking for attention cos they're pissed that they missed the real thing.

Still no excuse. There is really good stuff in youtube from the good old days. Back in the day I couldn´t go to every show. So I missed a lot. And there were bootlegs but not as we have today. From time to time I checked videos. There are some full shows from the late 80´s really worthy

Etc

Still no excuse. There is really good stuff in youtube from the good old days. Back in the day I couldn´t go to every show. So I missed a lot. And there were bootlegs but not as we have today. From time to time I checked videos. There are some full shows from the late 80´s really worthy

Nope. Granpappy bba is right. There is no way anybody could have a difference of opinion from his senile old ass. The age of these forum posters has receded almost as far as his hairline and these kids weren't around in the good old days. :shrugs:

I sequence is already perfect as it is. If anything had to be done to make CD even better, it'd be taking out Rhiad and putting in Going Down or OMG and that's about it, really. And TIL would be better with drums, like in Evader's version. That remix is perfect.

kind of agree

Chinese

Better

Street of Dreams

Catcher

TWAT

Sorry

Madagascar

IRS

Shacklers

Prostitute

= very good album

I thought all those songs were on CD already?

I'm very confused. You are saying that deleting songs off the album somehow makes the remaining songs ......better?

This forum has the weirdest logic I've ever seen.

Definitely the faster not so deep songs starting each side and it moving through mid tempo to epic works pretty well.

Axl said for UYI they liked to open and close each side strongly.

For CD thats

Side1 CHi dem, SOD

Side2 ITW, Catcher

Side3 Scraped, IRS

Side 4 Madagascar, Prostitute

one conclusion have on CD track listing is that it has a beginning, a middle and an end, but not really in that order on the track listing. So it could really tell a better story as an album. It's been put together in terms of styles of track I think, like open with a rocker end with an epic. Which makes sense but something like this tells a better story

This I Love

IRS

Catcher in the Rye

Madagascar

Street of Dreams

There Was a Time

Better

Chinese Democracy

Riad n the Bedouins

Shackler's Revenge

If the World

Prostitute

Sorry

Scraped

The first side takes you from desolation through the fight back to being over it to knowing better.

Side 2 is Axl back on top, saying don't really matter, finding someone to believe in, saying he couldn't sell out, he finally feels Sorry for everyone, but he's up and rocking as his unpredictable self again on Scraped on the outro.

one conclusion have on CD track listing is that it has a beginning, a middle and an end, but not really in that order on the track listing. So it could really tell a better story as an album. It's been put together in terms of styles of track I think, like open with a rocker end with an epic. Which makes sense but something like this tells a better story

This I Love

IRS

Catcher in the Rye

Madagascar

Street of Dreams

There Was a Time

Better

Chinese Democracy

Riad n the Bedouins

Shackler's Revenge

If the World

Prostitute

Sorry

Scraped

The first side takes you from desolation through the fight back to being over it to knowing better.

Side 2 is Axl back on top, saying don't really matter, finding someone to believe in, saying he couldn't sell out, he finally feels Sorry for everyone, but he's up and rocking as his unpredictable self again on Scraped on the outro.

Looks great. Gonna give a couple of listens.

This I Love

IRS

Catcher in the Rye

Madagascar

Street of Dreams

There Was a Time

Better

Chinese Democracy

Riad n the Bedouins

Shackler's Revenge

If the World

Prostitute

Sorry

Scraped

Looks great. Gonna give a couple of listens.

It really works for me. Even Prostitute not being final track, as Sorry kind of floats in and makes sense in a gloating way, but then its back to reality with Scraped.

I like TIL as an opener and how those epics flow together. And Better is kind of a Paradise City at track 7.

I burned off a cd to play on the stereo. The first side is very vino friendly.

Sorry, but no. As I've said a million times before, CD is one of my favourite albums... period! but! It's just too different from previous records for the older fans to listen to it and be impartial ears. Are there songs on CD that are better than UYI tracks...? yes! AFD? I'm not sure hard to judge it fairly.

It could have been a more solid release at 10 songs but that would have leaned too heavily on the ballads and the almost industrial Betters and Shacklers of the album. Most older fans of the band actually like Rhiad (probably because it share some rhythmic similarities to Jungle).

I would prefer the album without Rhiad and Shacklers. To make the album better or the 'best ever!' for most people it would have been necessary to get a producer in that could have persuaded Axl to cut down the excess guitar tracks, and just strip back some of the songs (most people would be happy with that).

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Catcher In The Rye

3. Madagascar

4. Sorry

5. IRS

6. Street Of Dreams

7. This I Love

8. If The World

9. There Was A Time

10. Prostitute

Leaving off the industrial stuff, probably would have been great for both reviews and fans. The album is simply too sprawling for most people's ears. People are left confused and blaming in on overproduction, lack of Slash/Izzy, etc.

You guys figure out how to turn lead into gold yet? :lol:

This is one of the weirdest topics I've ever seen on a music forum.

So by changing the order of the songs and dropping a few songs, the album will become better? Somehow doing that makes the quality of the remaining songs become better?

Of course, this is the same forum that praises Axl for NOT releasing music and bashes bands that do release music on a regular basis. Not releasing music shows you have artistic integrity, and releasing music shows you are just out to screw your fans out of their money.

So I guess I'll play along.

Sure.

Take three songs off the album, and change the order of the remaining songs..........do that, and you have an album worthy of Appetite fame.

Sorry, but no. As I've said a million times before, CD is one of my favourite albums... period! but! It's just too different from previous records for the older fans to listen to it and be impartial ears. Are there songs on CD that are better than UYI tracks...? yes! AFD? I'm not sure hard to judge it fairly.

It could have been a more solid release at 10 songs but that would have leaned too heavily on the ballads and the almost industrial Betters and Shacklers of the album. Most older fans of the band actually like Rhiad (probably because it share some rhythmic similarities to Jungle).

I would prefer the album without Rhiad and Shacklers. To make the album better or the 'best ever!' for most people it would have been necessary to get a producer in that could have persuaded Axl to cut down the excess guitar tracks, and just strip back some of the songs (most people would be happy with that).

I disagree. the excessive guitar and production is at the heart of the album. CD wasn't made to be stripped down. Its an exercise in excess. That's central to its appeal. Like Klosterman says "it works more in its favor than it does against it."

You guys figure out how to turn lead into gold yet? :lol:

This is one of the weirdest topics I've ever seen on a music forum.

So by changing the order of the songs and dropping a few songs, the album will become better? Somehow doing that makes the quality of the remaining songs become better?

Of course, this is the same forum that praises Axl for NOT releasing music and bashes bands that do release music on a regular basis. Not releasing music shows you have artistic integrity, and releasing music shows you are just out to screw your fans out of their money.

So I guess I'll play along.

Sure.

Take three songs off the album, and change the order of the remaining songs..........do that, and you have an album worthy of Appetite fame.

I think it's meant to be uncompromising to be honest. You have to spend the time on, but I still think it's punishing in terms of the track order. By the end of Better I'm done. UYI for me was about the different tracks I hardly every listened all the way through in the same way I did AFD. But at least with UYI you kind of knew I get through Don't Cry and there's going to be a rocker. But CD you kind of know with each song it's just going to get more and more epic and long winded. That's not accessible or commercial. Artistically it's a statement, we're going to go further and further into isolation, desolation and pain.

This I Love works for me as a lead off track because it's kind of like an intro opera track. But then IRS really confirms this is still Axl, then Catcher just takes you away, so when Madagascar starts up it doesn't sound down, it's like fight back time. Then Street of Dream gets grittier and it's just so GNR and glitzy. Then you're ready for the speedboat ride to Cuba on TWAT. I'm pretty worn out by then so Better sounds more like a cool breeze, the Paradise City drums give it a stadium rocking vibe. I think it does matter, in terms of it being a commercial album that anyone can give a spin and go yeah That was fun. Okay, if you are in you're lazy boy with a couple of edibles in you and headphones and you are ready to go into the vortex with Axl then go for the official track listing. See you on the other side of the sun.

Edited by wasted

I disagree. the excessive guitar and production is at the heart of the album. CD wasn't made to be stripped down. Its an exercise in excess. That's central to its appeal. Like Klosterman says "it works more in its favor than it does against it."

Sure, nothing like overblown trainwreck production to make you want to listen to an album..........I am guessing that is why it gets played on the radio so much because people love bloated, overproduced, dated music .................. :awesomeface:

UYI seems to get much radio play for the same reason.

Yes, I remember a lot said about UYI that is basically the same/standard criticism I see/hear about CD- overblown, overproduced, songs too long, self-indulgent, etc, etc. Hard for me to imagine stuff like Estranged and November Rain, etc being stripped down. They're meant to be overblown. Its kind of the point. A lot of these critiques along those lines makes me wonder if people were even fans to begin with. Unless you stopped listening in 1988, Guns is a big band, big sound, big production. Overblown grandiose debauchery is the name of the game. I dig it, I'm glad they did the Illusions and didn't try to ape the Appetite thing for the rest of their careers. AC/DC's been rehashing the same thing for what 35 years or so? Which that's fine too, they do well commercially and I listen casually (not intensely) but I wouldn't refer to what they do as art. The Illusions and CD are artistic evolution and CD's sound and approach is based in large part on growing the Illusions era style and production.

Except we are not talking about those other albums we are talking about Chinese Democracy and fans rarely complain about poor production on UYI like they do ChiDem.....

Even some of the ChiDem fans here are objective enough to admit that the production is a mess and is not what they like about the album......