Would CD have made it "the best album ever" if released as a standard 10-track album?

There is no best album ever. All the albums that get picked for best album ever are only there because they either came out at the right time or they have a few truly amazing songs. The rest of the songs are then overrated by critics and fans because of the album's classic status. Look at AC/DC, songs like Have A Drink On Me, while great, are not a match for something like Evil Walks, but the latter gets less attention than the former because it's not on BIB.

OK Computer, people were willing to give it 20+ spins to start liking it, because it was "hip" to like it.

CD was never hip, though it is/was as inaccessible as OKC, moreso due to the imo strange playlist, than the music style.

There is/was enough quality in the CD songs, to have made a "classic" album out of it imo.

ideally a 10 song album, but even all 14 songs could have worked.

The track order/listing out of the 14 songs we were given was just bizarre to the average fan. For the most part, to like this album you have to be more of a an Axl fan than anything else, and you really have to be engaged in the breakup of GN'R and the complications of Axl's new band. What could go wrong, did go wrong--some of it Axl's fault, some of it not.

Of course we know the overproducing on these songs scare away a lot of people but lyrically, the songs would come off as strange to the average music listener.

CD - "Cause it would take a lot more time than you have got for masturbation."

SOD - "Inside of youuuuuuu." It just seems weird and out of place.

Riad - "No one had wove as well"? "No one I love is well"? "No one I love is there"?

Scraped - The beginning screams are...interesting. Then we get into, "Cause I just won't let youuuuuuuuuu." And the chorus itself is kinda bland.

Sorry - "But I don't vant to do eet"

Madagascar - There's two minutes of fucking quotes for fuck's sake. I know Axl just needed to have them, but I can't show the song to any of my friends with those quotes. They just don't understand. I'm glad somebody on YouTube uploaded Axl's vocal track on an acoustic version of the song; that's what I use when showing people the song.

TIS - Beautiful, but it belongs higher up on the album, close to SOD, or not at all

Prostitute - Didn't live up to expectations and the best sounds can't even be fucking heard. Manets made a beautiful mix of the song that I found far superior than the album version.

And even with all that said, I love the album. But it took a LONG time. I hated it in November 2008, and I only listened to TWAT and Better. Then I started listening to some live shows and I got more into it; next thing you know I'm singing along to each tune. It just takes time for most people. (And a lot of it has to do with the whole, "this is all we're gonna get, so I better like it" mentality). If I had more in the GN'R catalogue to choose from, I don't know if I would have ever really liked Riad or Scraped.

The album would have been a bigger commercial hit in 1999, 2001, 2002, or even 2006. But things got fucked up, it sold well but still flopped. No song arrangement could have ever saved this album, it was by and part, doomed from the start.

Kinda wish people would stop these threads now, no matter how you re-arrange the songs, or which 4 songs you take out etc, it'll still not ever going to be regarded as one of the better albums of all time - YOU may think it is, but it'll never receive the critical acclaim of the supposed best albums (The Beatles/Stones/AFD etc etc).
Appetite will be regarded as one of the best, it captured a sound and vibe, it had sleaze and melodies, killer hooks and a great band of people who were born to make that record - Chinese has none of this.