Could the problem be that Axl doesn't creatively click with this lineup?

I don't pretend I understand what goes on behind the scenes in the brain of a (former) prolific songwriter like Axl Rose. But I was reading one of the threads here, the one about DJ and his hobby comment, and I started wondering if the problem with the new album not being released or written or recorded or whatever is that Axl doesn't creatively click with any of the guys in the current lineup.

Even if it's true that Axl hates all or most of the former Gunners or the classic lineup or whatever, we can't deny that the chemistry in that band helped Axl create or help create the songs GnR is famous for and thanks to which GnR ruled the world when they did.

Could that be the problem? you know, that there's no spark?

Just wondering.

EDIT:

and I'm not talking about the songs that allegedly exist but which have not been released. I mean, if we never get to hear them, they might as well not exist at all, or I don't care if Axl has written 2,000,000 songs since the original lineup destroyed itself if I can't enjoy them myself.

I can come here and claim I am the most prolific author because I´ve written 10 books in the last two years… so what? If I don't let anyone read them I might as well not have written them at all.

Edited by TombRaider

…or maybe he's just not inspired anymore. I'm sure you all know the story behind songs like Paradise City and SCOM, how those were written on the spur of the moment or thanks to Axl being inspired by what the other guys in the band were doing/playing at the moment. I don't know. I'm nitpicking here, I know.

The problem is that after the process CD went through, with the whole mess of the release, promotion etc. Axl is simply in no rush at all to go through that all again, especially when the current band can tour mostly on the old catalogue alone.

He doesn't see the need to yet again add a new chapter to the band, as I feel he has accepted that the only way this band is going to keep filling arenas, is that if they fully embrace the nostalgia aspect of the past.

I truly believe Axl is through with moving Guns forward, and it's hard to blame the guy when you see how the new material has been received (by some).

Axl is not hungry for it as he was 10 years ago, simple as...

Edited by One.In.A.Million

…or maybe he's just not inspired anymore. I'm sure you all know the story behind songs like Paradise City and SCOM, how those were written on the spur of the moment or thanks to Axl being inspired by what the other guys in the band were doing/playing at the moment. I don't know. I'm nitpicking here, I know.

Only Axl knows why he wouldn´t release the CD leftovers. Only Axl knows if he wants to make more music. And only Axl knows what the deal is with the record company. He has to make up his mind. It seems like today he is willing to do a lot of things and he gears up for it only to change his mind tomorrow. He doesn´t know what he wants to do. And I´m afraid he doesn´t have the right people around him to encourge and motivate him.

Guest Len B'stard

Sorry, when was Axl Rose prolific? :lol:

From the mid 80's to the early 90's? :blink:

Uh, was he? How'd you work that out? 3 albums in 7 years ain't really prolific, thats just below average. And even half of them were written earlier.

Edited by sugaraylen

We really don't know how the label feels about GNR. I've said before if Axl had problems with Interscope, he could do an overseas distribution with Universal, and it's not unheard of for a US band to work with foreign record labels when they're being ignored on home turf. I'm sure the way Lady Gaga recently got trashed for "Artpop", she's going to start blaming the label and the next album is going to take a longer time to make. Gaga, welcome to Axl's world.

We really don't know how the label feels about GNR. I've said before if Axl had problems with Interscope, he could do an overseas distribution with Universal, and it's not unheard of for a US band to work with foreign record labels when they're being ignored on home turf. I'm sure the way Lady Gaga recently got trashed for "Artpop", she's going to start blaming the label and the next album is going to take a longer time to make. Gaga, welcome to Axl's world.

Why did she get trashed?

I wouldn't be able to write a song knowing Ashba was going to participate (or even worse, was in the room with me).

Freaky Styley is a really underrated album. Was it Irons on drums?

Actually Cliff Martinez drummed on the album, though Irons returned right after for the album's tour.

I wouldn't be able to write a song knowing Ashba was going to participate (or even worse, was in the room with me).

Freaky Styley is a really underrated album. Was it Irons on drums?

Actually Cliff Martinez drummed on the album, though Irons returned right after for the album's tour.

I really dig Jack's drumming. My favorite era of Pearl Jam was with him on drums. I especially liked his drumming on MirrorBall. What Peppers' albums is he on? Is he on Uplift Mofo?

I don't pretend I understand what goes on behind the scenes in the brain of a (former) prolific songwriter like Axl Rose. But I was reading one of the threads here, the one about DJ and his hobby comment, and I started wondering if the problem with the new album not being released or written or recorded or whatever is that Axl doesn't creatively click with any of the guys in the current lineup.

Even if it's true that Axl hates all or most of the former Gunners or the classic lineup or whatever, we can't deny that the chemistry in that band helped Axl create or help create the songs GnR is famous for and thanks to which GnR ruled the world when they did.

Could that be the problem? you know, that there's no spark?

Just wondering.

EDIT:

and I'm not talking about the songs that allegedly exist but which have not been released. I mean, if we never get to hear them, they might as well not exist at all, or I don't care if Axl has written 2,000,000 songs since the original lineup destroyed itself if I can't enjoy them myself.

I can come here and claim I am the most prolific author because I´ve written 10 books in the last two years… so what? If I don't let anyone read them I might as well not have written them at all.

good call.. could it be that the old band had the same problems as well.. how to get that sound out of Axls head and down just exactly right? Calls for good communication skills and and direct workability within a team format.

it seems to me that in the AFD era what worked was the band actually working together... a riff gets played and built on and something sparked in Axl for inspiration and they collectively built on it... from the ground up. The energy and the collective ideas served as inspiration that lead to new and creative ends. Then they took it to the clubs and worked out the kinks .. that eventually led to AFD and parts of UYI.

In reading about some of CD .. here was a music unit composing music seperate and apart from Axl.. he listens to the guitar work onhis own time and pace and then tries to write lyrics or takes lyrics he had already composed and add them over the structure of the existing songs.Then to add vocals to and for the song and tinkers with it. Perhaps thats why I for one dont feel the X factor in so many of the songs on CD. THey seem forced or overthought and over produced or in some cases glorified demos.

.I have yet to read or hear about the band actually all sitting around and doing that format.. It was said much of UYI was dialed in without the band collectively as a unit all being in one room at the same time...

Its kind of a funny thought... but could be true..Axl ordering up the music like he would a fast food meal: Ok for this song BH I need you to take it to Aminor for 3 beats. Fortus you drop the bottom for eight measures and bend to bflat major. Mantia your beat go thump thum thump thump crash boom bang thump.. Tommy your part is dum dum dum do dum...and Fink you just wail wha wha wha wha wha .Ill show Dizzy what to do when I get back"

Umm where are you Axl?

Im in the bedroom taking a nap.

when will you be done

ummm about 2004....