Did Axl have surgery on his vocal cords?

Given that his voice has deteriorated post-2010, could vocal cord surgery be the reason he can't push himself or sing with much rasp? What do you guys think? What does vocal cord surgery usually entail and what are the benefits and potential drawbacks?

• Like 1

Don't think he had a surgery.

It's just damage control. Try to sing with full rasp a song. After five minutes, your throath will be bothering you. Now imagine that on a 2 hour and three times a week basis. His throath must be killing he after the 2010 tour, so I imagine that in 2011 he decided to manage to use the rasp where is REALLY needed (in Jungle, for example) cause he isn't 20 anymore. If he continued on the 2010 level, I bet he would have loosed much of his voice by 2015. Now I think that he can do it, but decides not to.

Edited by Manfisman

2013 was slightly better than '11/'12, imo. I think he was pissed and got depressed when, after kicking ass in 2010, management didnt have U.S. dates set up for him. In 2010 Axl could have potentially really kicked some ass in the U.S., he knew it, and his plans didnt materialize. Therefore he let go a little bit, and decided to play it safe since 2011. That's just my speculation. Also, for someone who is such a perfectionist and "wont allow himself" to get into addiction, it's somewhat alarming to me to see Axl behind bars serving drinks, and November Rain at '11 Rio he seemed like someone who drank too much and/or took pills. I dont know if he had any surgery. But I think he can turn it on when he wants to. The Rio gig was a disaster, and the very next gig in Chile he sounded fucking awesome. See Estranged, particularly the end.

• Like 1

He wouldn't have toured if he had vocal surgery.

2013 was great in the summer tour. There were some really great performances. Paradise City began showing signs of rasp again, and night train was awesome. Of course the You're Crazy performance in Brooklyn was a bright spot. I heard him nail the end of Estranged in Lubbock like he hadn't in a while. Some positives appeared here and there in the summer tour leading up to the gov. Ball. So I'm hoping he's getting stronger, i was just glad to know that he's trying to get rasp back in songs like PC. I thought he was singing like higher on purpose.

The South American tour will be good for his voice I think.

• Like 1

2013 was great in the summer tour. There were some really great performances. Paradise City began showing signs of rasp again, and night train was awesome. Of course the You're Crazy performance in Brooklyn was a bright spot. I heard him nail the end of Estranged in Lubbock like he hadn't in a while. Some positives appeared here and there in the summer tour leading up to the gov. Ball. So I'm hoping he's getting stronger, i was just glad to know that he's trying to get rasp back in songs like PC. I thought he was singing like higher on purpose.

There was almost a year gap between the end of the 2010 tour and Rock in Rio 2011. His voice changed quite drastically.

There was almost a year gap between the end of the 2010 tour and Rock in Rio 2011. His voice changed quite drastically.

Yea I mean I just hate to think he put himself at risk by singing so soon after a surgery on his vocals. It's entirely possible that he did, but in hindsight I'd prefer this tour coming up to be his first since surgery if in fact he did have surgery on his vocals.

Yes, Bumblefoot is in a band with someone who had thyroid cancer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgyEazk0ZLo

Anything I read about cutting into the neck had to do with thyroid surgery.

After the surgery, they do mention being stuck with hypothyroidism:

Symptoms of hypothyroidism include fatigue, sluggishness, depression, difficulty concentrating, memory problems, unexplained or excessive weight gain, dry skin, coarse and/or itchy skin, dry hair, hair loss, feeling cold (especially in the extremities), constipation, muscle cramps, joint pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, increased menstrual flow, low sex drive, and more frequent periods.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrugstreatments/a/recuperating.htm