Slash's best post-Guns work?

New to the forum...so if this one has already been beat to death on another thread I apologize...feel free to direct me to any existing threads that already cover this topic (I tried searching but didn't find exactly what I was looking for).

So here's my question...if you were going to create a "greatest hits" playlist/overview of all of Slash's post-Guns work, what songs would you select? For example, if you were to pull 2 or 3 songs from each of the two Snakepit albums, the two VR albums, the Slash album, Apocalyptic Love and Made in Stoke to highlight his best work what would those songs be?

And the selection is to be based solely on what songs showcase Slash's best playing...(i.e. not whether the vocals, lyrics, overall quality/structure of song, etc. are good or not).

Thanks

Welcome to the forum man.

Overall, I'd say the best work Slash did post GNR was Contraband, it was the first time he really played in Drop D tuning so he had a bit of a fresh approach to writing riffs, and man did he write some badass riffs and leads on that album.

In terms of lead guitar playing, chop wise, I think he really peaked on It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere. I haven't listened to that album in a while, but I remember him really taking the chord progressions on songs like I Hate Everybody But You, Beggars and Hangers On, Be The Ball, and Back and Forth Again and getting as much out of them as he possibly could with his key and mode changes, that album is dripping with those moments that send chills down your spine, at least it did with me when I was like 16.

Live, Slash is better than ever right now. In the early days he was a bit of a mess on stage, even with VR a little bit when he relapsed, but now that he's clean the man fucking rips. I've seen him twice in the last few years and I couldn't believe how clean, precise, and fast his leads were, it was very un-Slash like compared to the bootlegs and videos I've seen of GNR in the 90's. As somebody who's been a fan of Slash for years, and has moved on to other styles of music outside of blues based rock, to see him play as well as he does these days is very refreshing.

Interesting idea, we had a similar thing going in the "Slash's third album" thread, but different enough that I think this can be its own.

Lets say 3 from each album:

I5oCS: Dime Store Rock, Monkey Chow, Beggars

ALG: Rusted Heroes, Been There Lately, The Alien

Contraband: You Got No Right, Slither, Set Me Free

Libertad: SBQM, Just Sixteen, The Last Fight

Slash: Nothing To Say, Sahara, Baby Can't Drive

AL: Anastasia, AL, Halo, Hard & Fast, Shots Fired

Broke the rules a bit for AL, and these aren't necessarily my favorites, just the ones I think have the best guitar playing. I agree with sweetness that Slash might be right now at his best live... clean and off the shenanigans. Though I have noticed the occasional bad note (3-4 per show?), for the stuff he's playing... that's really really good and probably better than how it was during Guns or early VR tours.

I like the 3 per album idea. Mine would be:

5 O'clock: Neither Can I, Be The Ball, Beggars

ALG: Serial Killer, Ain't Life Grand, Alien

Contraband: Slither, Headspace, Loving The Alien,

Come on Come in (not on the album, but from that same era)

Libertad: Quick Machines, American Man, Let It Roll

Slash: Crucify The Dead, By The Sword, Nothing To Say

AL: Anastasia, Halo, One Last Thrill.

Contraband: Sucker Train Blues (especially the solo), Slither, You Got No Right (again, great solo), Set Me Free, Fall To Pieces

Street Child - one of the best post Guns solos by Slash

AL - Anastasia

Slash - Mother Maria (love the solo in it too), Watch This, By The Sword (one of his best riffs in years imo)

Libertad - Let It Roll (I hate the lyrics though)

My not on an album pick:

5 o' clock: Back and forth again, beggars and hangers on, neither can I

Ain't life grand: Serial Killer, Back to the moment, speed parade

Contraband: Slither, You got no right, Loving the alien

Libertad: Messages, Just Sixteen, Get out the door

Slash: Starlight, Nothing to say, By the sword

Apocalyptic love: Anastasia, Standing in the sun, No more heroes

Guest performances: Street Child, Give in to me, Always on the run

5 o' clock: Back and forth again, beggars and hangers on, neither can I

Ain't life grand: Serial Killer, Back to the moment, speed parade

Contraband: Slither, You got no right, Loving the alien

Libertad: Messages, Just Sixteen, Get out the door

Slash: Starlight, Nothing to say, By the sword

Apocalyptic love: Anastasia, Standing in the sun, No more heroes

Guest performances: Street Child, Give in to me, Always on the run

I forgot Give In To Me. Slash's solos on that one are fucking awesome imo.

Edited by Rovim

My Slash Best Of would look like this...

Beggers and Hangers On

Neither Can I

Be The Ball

Serial Killer

Landslide

Do It For The Kids

You Got No Right

American Man

Pills, Demons

Mary Mary

Ghosts

I Hold On

Watch This

Anastasia

No More Heroes

Give In To Me (w/ Michael Jackson)

Always on the Rum (w/ Lenny Kravitz)

Edited by DieselDaisy

Welcome to the forum!

These are my choices:

It's 5 O'clock Somewhere:
Neither Can I, Beggars & Hangers-On, Back and Forth Again, Be The Ball

Added Be The Ball because that solo is incredible.

___

Ain't Life Grand:
Been There Lately, Just Like Anything, Back to the Moment, Serial Killer, Ain't Life Grand, Speed Parade

Added Back to the Moment because it's a great ballad (honestly, it would have been amazing with Axl's vocals). Added Speed Parade and Been There Lately because of the killer riffs.

___

Contraband:
Slither, Do it for the Kids, You Got No Right, Set Me Free, Fall to Pieces

Added Set Me Free and Do It for the Kids again, for the killer riffs.

___

Libertad:
Let it Roll, She Builds Quick Machines, Gravedancer, American Man

Added Gravedancer because yeah, I love that outro.

___

Slash:
Crucify the Dead, Nothing to Say, By The Sword

___

Apocalyptic Love:
Anastasia, Far and Away, One Last Thrill, Apocalyptic Love, Crazy Life, No More Heroes

Added One Last Thrill and Crazy Life because of the riffs. Added Apocalyptic Love because I like its structure.

___

Collaborations:
Give In To Me, Street Child, Always On The Run, Fix

___

Covers:
Heartbreak Hotel, Only Women Bleed, The Thrill Is Gone, Superstitious, Oh Well, Use Me, Knockin' On Heaven's Door

All of those performed back in 1997-1998 with Blues Ball. Slash's guitar sounded amazing and he did a pretty good job covering all those songs.