Was there ever a "round two"?

Axl had his game plan back then, round 2 probably was the North American tour 2002......we all know this led to 2003-2005 silent years.
so basically his plan changed again, so Axl kinda knocked out himself in round 2 and started another open match in 2006.

They were suppose to continue playing at an after show, and they were taking request (jimmy Fallon says "and they are taking request" before introducing the band. Round 1 was just the main show and round 2 was the after party that wasn't on tv.

That's how I remember it playing out anyways. Idk if the band continued to play or not.

Well that was supposed to be the 2002 tour, which ended after the NYC Madison Square Garden show.

Most of us never saw Round 2, but since then Axl and GNR have made up for it. At least I feel that way after seeing them in Dallas twice in the last 2 years and Vegas too. Not to mention the 3 hour shows and Axl happy and performing amazingly well.

Round 2 was most likely NOT the 2002 tour. In reality, nobody here really knows. My wild speculation is that since Axl was on TV it could be related to some kind of promotion related to the band and/or CD back then. It didn't materialize though.

Do you remember how Axl said a few years ago that he was waiting for a marketing plan from the record company and that never came? I think Axl wanted the record company to invest on GNR marketing as much as they do on acts like Lady Gaga. This is just not going to happen in this day and age for various reasons. I understand him pressuring them to do more though. I will never get not coming out yourself to promote something you've worked on for so many years without an explanation to the fans.

Axl could surprise everyone next year showing up in shape, capable of singing, on time for gigs and also releasing new songs. That would be a great round 2. Is he going to deliver? Based on his track record. I expect the unexpected. I think 2014 could be a great year for this band. I am just not holding my breath he's going to deliver for years to come. It would require some serious professional involvement and he seems to believe he has all the answers and everyone telling him otherwise is a hater.

In the end of the day, we're all enablers -- die hard fans, his current management and the state of the music industry. Axl got rich and still gets tons of money even when he doesn't leave the house because people like us. He likes to play the independent rebel but he couldn't even get around to start from scratch again. I don't care if he owns and uses the GNR but since he does: Do something about it besides collecting the goodies from times past! Don't just sit on it for decades and go out once in a while to play AFD songs and collect some more money since the royalties alone aren't cutting it. If Axl today had to live with what he makes with his current incarnation of GNR. I bet we wouldn't be discussing rounds but how awesome his current music is. We're his bless and his curse and he hates us.

At that point, Axl had been out of the public eye for a long, long time, but he still believed that nuGNR would be a massive success. Showing off the new band (Bucket et al) in a much-hyped widely viewed performance on live television was the first step. Saying "Round 1" was Axl saying "This is just the beginning, motherfuckers". My guess is that Round 2 was supposed to be the release of Chinese Democracy in late 2002, and Round 3 would have been the massive Chinese Democracy World Tour.

Round 4 = Legend of the Red Panda. Round 5 = renaming the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the House That Bucket n' Finck Built. Round 6 = democratic elections in China. Round 7 = Slash lying on the ground, saying "No mas, no mas".

Unfortunately, it all fell apart when Axl realized he was completely incapable of releasing new music or moving the new band forward.

I suppose one could say that Round 2 finally happened in 2008, but as someone mentioned earlier, by that point the fight was over long before, when Axl knocked himself out by TKO.

Axl's actual fight transcript:

Round 1 - showing off the new band on live TV, fusing the old and the new (Jungle-Madagascar-PC)

Round 2 - 2002 Chinese Democracy World Tour

Round 3 - 2006 Chinese Democracy World Tour

Round 4 - 2007 Chinese Democracy World Tour

Round 5 - 2008 Chinese Democracy album release

Round 6 - 2010 Chinese Democracy World Tour

Round 7 - 2011 Chinese Democracy World Tour

Round 8 - 2012 Chinese Democracy World Tour

Round 9 - 2013 Chinese Democracy World Tour

And perhaps, if we're lucky ...

Round 10 - 2014 Chinese Democracy World Tour

We're still stuck in round 1.

I always figured it was related to the idea of CD being a trilogy.... First album was round 1. Second round 2. Third round 3.... and then who knows what comes after that... Round 4?

CD was supposed to be released in 03.... Then the next in 05. Then 07. The 09. Then 2011.... so on so fourth.

By axl's 2002 logic... We should be in round 6. The 2003 album was supposed to have 20 songs. If we got that many for each album, we would have 120 new songs by now.... Even if we got 14 songs per album, we would have 84 songs by now. Could you imagine that? Having 84-120 new songs by now? Still having Bucket, Robin, Axl, and everyone else selling out stadiums, not even needing to touch the old songs besides maybe the occasional PC, SCOM, WTTJ, and NR?

Am I the only one that remembers the band was suppose to take request and perform after the show? Which would be round 2...idk I'm probably crazy, round 2 must be a mystery clue that we will never solve. Thanks Axl!

I'm not sure that's what was meant by that. I think when Fallon said "They're even taking requests" he meant that they were playing WTTJ and PC per the VMAs request.

I mean, I'm sure axl would've loved to just go out there and perform Maddy, CD, the blues, or another new song in its entirety instead of throwing in two old songs.