Skwerl's GN'R Leak story

All Rise. The Court of Public Opinion Is Now In Session.  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"While I was still working at Universal in 2005, I met a guy that had been working with Axl, who told me that he had touched over 90 songs, 40 of which were “some of the best songs he’d ever heard. [...]

THAT is what is so frustrating about Axl being my favorite rock singer of all time.

One album in the 15 years he has kept GnR alive..........when there are possible 75 songs still in the vault? And he has a band that is interested in writing new songs.

TONS of material, but he chooses to not share them with his millions of fans.

Crazy. And sad.

Fascinating read. Nice to see Skwerl finally go on the record and get the full story out. Thanks for that.

It still boggles the mind that multiple FBI agents knocked on his door with guns pulled. I mean, I know this is America, but seriously? I would sincerely hope the FBI does (or already did) an internal investigation to determine who authorized that little nugget of complete and utter incompetence, and sent them to Guantanamo. What if something went wrong, and somebody got shot? Over some mp3's that were posted on a website for an hour?

Just hope that Interscope, RIAA and the GNR Camp someday realize that they could make some money by releasing new music.

"I'm not working on all this to keep it buried." Axl Rose (1999)

Edited by axlsalinger

"While I was still working at Universal in 2005, I met a guy that had been working with Axl, who told me that he had touched over 90 songs, 40 of which were “some of the best songs he’d ever heard. [...]

THAT is what is so frustrating about Axl being my favorite rock singer of all time.

One album in the 15 years he has kept GnR alive..........when there are possible 75 songs still in the vault? And he has a band that is interested in writing new songs.

Crazy. And sad.

what makes it even more sad is we will probably only hear these things when axl passes away, and the vault is raided which is why the quote about the donuts is absolutely correct. axl's name will be at is absolute height and the posthumous releases will start to flow. i remember after ronnie james dio passed away and seeing how many of his albums were in the top 10 on itunes around the world. same with amy whinehouse, and other big name acts that pass away.

Crazy. And sad.

but again, they could just be ideas or snippets, no idea if they are actual full blown songs

I said a while back that everything Axl did in the studio for Chinese Democracy was going to be his life's work. If he has multiple albums worth of finished material I think it would go with the theory.

Creatively Axl might be done. He's an Aquarius anyways they get very obsessed with things they work on. He might have been obsessed with writing and creating music for that time period between 98-04.

As usual the future album releases should be interesting.

Skwerl is a good guy. He had the courtesy to contact me prior to writing this article (as for a while me and him were toying with the idea of doing this story collaboratively). That said, only Skwerl himself was capable of telling this story. I'm glad that he ultimately decided to complete this process alone.

When you think about, it was actually Chinese that started the trend of leaking records prematurely.

• Like 1

And guess who started it all:

Jarmo from the GNR fansite Here Today… Gone To Hell came across news of the leak. He immediately notified Fernando Santos, who checked it out, and then did a Whois lookup on Antiquiet.com to get my phone number so he could talk tough to me.

What a lackey.

Crazy. And sad.

but again, they could just be ideas or snippets, no idea if they are actual full blown songs

Yep, I'd be willing to bet there are 90 tracks, not 90 songs. And for every finished songs, there are lots of tracks that form the basis of it while bands are working tracks out. Knowing how meticulous and obsessive Axl is, 90 tracks could equal two songs :shrugs:

And honestly, I'm surprised none of it has been leaked. Tons of materials the Stones did in the 70s leaked out onto bootlegs, and that's when it was a lot harder and bulkier to duplicate audio.

• Like 1

No wonder Maribeth acted the way she did on here.

So she is responsible for busting this poor kid, and she is responsible for getting so much amazing youtube material shut down.

Somebody who sees herself as Axl's biggest fan.....continually does things that hurt other GnR fans.

It's amazing that GnR's management team would want anything to do with her.

• Like 1

A friend of his got them from a courier, who may have stolen or received them from someone in Jimmy Iovine's office.

So there is no household-name story and it was just smoke and mirrors? Either way, it was a great read and adds to the story of Chinese Democracy!

A friend of his got them from a courier, who may have stolen or received them from someone in Jimmy Iovine's office.

So there is no household-name story and it was just smoke and mirrors? Either way, it was a great read and adds to the story of Chinese Democracy!

I think the insinuation is that Jimmy Iovine is the "household name" he had referred to previously.

As for all the TL:DR'ers, it really isn't too long. And it's worth reading. Stop being so fucking lazy.

I think the insinuation is that Jimmy Iovine is the "household name" he had referred to previously.

As for all the TL:DR'ers, it really isn't too long. And it's worth reading. Stop being so fucking lazy.

Doubtful. Most people have no idea who he is. An "industry name"? Sure.

Agreed about giving it a read. It is worth it.

Edited by Coma16