When was your first GN'R gig?

Calgary, 2010. 2nd show of the Canada tour. At that point it was the farthest I'd travelled for a concert, me and my dad flew out the night before.

We waited outside the arena from around 11 AM I think, there was a small group of people there before us, a small group after us, and it was just that group of about 10 people for several hours. I remember one girl was *really* hoping for Estranged.... Somebody brought pizza, too. And we hit a chinook, so it was t-shirt weather! :lol:

I was front row, in the corner of Axl's runway on Tommy/DJ's side. Baz opened and was fucking killer! (the position of the strobelight was a bit annoying at times though). Guns were everything I'd expected and more, that was (and still is) the best show I've ever seen. The setlist was incredible (back when the encores were superb!), they brought along Bubbles, Axl sounded incredible and was on fire, totally into the show.

edit: When they were opening the doors, they "fucked up" and moved our line to another door. Someone who worked for the venue pointed out that we'd been standing at that door for several hours, so they brought the group of us inside, scanned our tickets and gave us our bracelets and all that before anyone else was allowed in the venue! They got us all ready, said "open the doors!" and told us to go! That was really fucking cool of the venue.

Edited by RickRoses

Philly Up Close and Personal. I had wanted to see GNR since they announced their Chicago 2002 stop. Circumstances always got in the way and stopped me from seeing them, including the 2006 Chicago stop for which I had tickets. I logged on here and saw that a show at the Electric Factory (THE best rock venue in Philly, period) had been announced for one week later. I bought my ticket on the presale the following day. Got in line at 10am, so early that security told me I had to wait off the property until noon. Sat waiting on the sidewalk until noon, then moved over by the door. Chilled with GNRSkidRow1 all afternoon (he came for the experience of waiting with other fans, despite being VIP; thanks for the company and holding my barrier spot!), and got front and center right by Uncle Axl. Bucket came down to the floor and took pictures with a bunch of us as the crowd was winding in. Show was, as you all know, a fucking monster and one of the best of the last several years. Headed out back after the show with GNRSkidRow1, TheRealMcCoy, and a handfull of other fans and waited until about 5am. Met Dj, Ron (again), and Axl himself. Easily one of the best shows and best musical experiences of my life.

• Like 2

London, ON 2010

Waited years to see Axl and it was an awesome experience.took a trip to Canada with my friend and his mom, got a hotel, almost got to the barrier...had all the elements of a typical GNR show- dangerous and rowdy crowd (almost fought with a ufc fighter!), long wait, hot chicks getting naked on the cameras before guns came on, and axl kicked ass.it was a great first show.if you would have told me the Canadians were crazier and angrier than people in the pit at the Detroit club show i saw on the up close and personal tour i would have laughed! But there you go...

I was much too young to see the real deal back in the day, but I'm grateful i have what i have

Never experienced this. In all my experiences seeing GN'R, the crowds are extremely lax.

I saw them in the lower bowl in 2011 and on the rails in 2012 in a theater in downtown Detroit. Both of those were pleasant experiences with nice people. For some reason at the London gig there were fights everywhere, blood on the floor, a guy passed out and had to be taken out on a stretcher, I got molested by a disgusting 50+ year old tramp and got her and her friend thrown out, was threatened by a douche D list UFC fighter who wanted my spot and I said no... he threatened to hurt me and some idiot asked for his autograph before he could and I never let him take my spot...

It was crazy but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way, great time!

Philly Up Close and Personal. I had wanted to see GNR since they announced their Chicago 2002 stop. Circumstances always got in the way and stopped me from seeing them, including the 2006 Chicago stop for which I had tickets. I logged on here and saw that a show at the Electric Factory (THE best rock venue in Philly, period) had been announced for one week later. I bought my ticket on the presale the following day. Got in line at 10am, so early that security told me I had to wait off the property until noon. Sat waiting on the sidewalk until noon, then moved over by the door. Chilled with GNRSkidRow1 all afternoon (he came for the experience of waiting with other fans, despite being VIP; thanks for the company and holding my barrier spot!), and got front and center right by Uncle Axl. Bucket came down to the floor and took pictures with a bunch of us as the crowd was winding in. Show was, as you all know, a fucking monster and one of the best of the last several years. Headed out back after the show with GNRSkidRow1, TheRealMcCoy, and a handfull of other fans and waited until about 5am. Met Dj, Ron (again), and Axl himself. Easily one of the best shows and best musical experiences of my life.

I remember you and Skids being so psyched for and after the gig! I loved the Up Close and Personal Tour, one of the best things GNR has done since 2001

• Like 1

June 15 2007 - Melbourne, Australia

It was freezing cold and I got to the venue 5 hours early to try and get to the front. I did and I got barrier just to the right of centre. Rose Tattoo and Sebastian Bach were the openers and I was blown away by both of them, especially Bach, man, that guy has pipes to spare and endless energy. At the end of his set Baz reached out into the audience and gave me a high five :)

Set was an mix of GNR classics and a few Chi Dem songs. It was great, dream come true.

I saw them on the 16th as well, same spot on the stage, Bumblefoot recognised me from the night before and security nicely nicked me a setlist without me even asking.

Oh, and on the 16th when I got out of the show my car had a flat battery and I had to wait 3 hours for the RACV to come... :(

Edited by stonegunner
  • Like 1

Melbourne 2007 !! What an epic fucking night. Sebastian Bach opening played a 90 minute set !! Cracked the shits cause Rod Laver cut his power as he was playing over time, decided to play acousticly. GNR were brilliant, Axl was in top form.

Saw GNR again this year, amazing band again chemistry seemed a lot tighter, Axl was a lot more interactive with the crowd, waving, talking to them etc. Either way both concerts were perfect. And yes they hit the stage early both times ;)

I feel bad for a lot of you. You watched a band called "Guns N Roses" while some of us saw THE Guns N Roses.

Damn, I bet Tracii tore it up. Shit you're lucky to have seen them. They only played a few shows.

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 2

19880816scphoto03.jpg

08.16.88 - Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

opening for: Aerosmith, Deep Purple

set: It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Paradise City, You're Crazy, Out Ta Get Me, Blues Jam, Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Used To Love Her

notes: Footage for the 'Paradise City' video was shot at this show. Axl tells the crowd that they will have a new EP coming out, featuring an acoustic version of 'You're Crazy.' While Slash introduces the Blues Jam, Axl yells at security, calling them assholes. Radio ads for this show called the bill "Triple Dynamite."

that was my second gnr show

the first was the ritz earlier that year

Mike is that you??? How ya been?

Mine was Detroit 2002.

19880816scphoto03.jpg

08.16.88 - Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

opening for: Aerosmith, Deep Purple

set: It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Paradise City, You're Crazy, Out Ta Get Me, Blues Jam, Welcome To The Jungle, Sweet Child O' Mine, Used To Love Her

notes: Footage for the 'Paradise City' video was shot at this show. Axl tells the crowd that they will have a new EP coming out, featuring an acoustic version of 'You're Crazy.' While Slash introduces the Blues Jam, Axl yells at security, calling them assholes. Radio ads for this show called the bill "Triple Dynamite."

Beyond cool JB. I'm not even a huge Aerosmith or Purple fan but you saw three awesome bands in what some would consider their prime.No kid on here can ever Gn'R-educate you. My first show was the Gn'R/Metallica/FNM tour in Buffalo NY. I didn't see them again for ten years until London Ontario 2002.

it ticks me off when people use seeing the original line up as a point of elitist pride... congratulations, you happen to have been born earlier than me.

I don't care when someone was born. That's beyond their

control. Gn'R needs younger fans as some of us old timers are getting up there. With jobs, responsibilities and families we can't see as many shows as we'd like. There could be a 18 year old on here who loves Guns and that's great, bring on the next generation. My beef is when a kid who wasn't around back in the day and tries to tell me about what Gn'R was like back then. You cant Gn'R-educate someone who was around back then. Only Marc Canter knows enough to educate anyone about Gn'R since he was a true insider. These days an insider is someone who tweets Beta hoping to lick ass and get party passes. So it isn't being an elitist more a realist. I love many bands but if I wasn't around for their prime I wouldn't attempt to educate their fans online who

were. So as long as the kids respect Slash and Izzy and realize they along with Steven and Duff made it possible for the Gn'R they know and love these days to even exist.

• Like 2