DJ on "Best Modern Guitarist" list

When did opinion become undeniable proof? Your high school is failing you.

No kidding.

These guys grasp at straws to try and "prove" how great DJ and the current band is.

DJ is a mediocre guitar player. Most of the bands he has been in have been failures.

How is he in GnR? That is pretty debatable. Most of the guitar geek type posters really complain and say he butchers most of his GnR guitar parts and solos.

Unfortunately, I can't really give my opinion of him as a player for GnR as I haven't heard what he can create in the studio with Axl. Hopefully Axl/Beta will give him a chance in the very near future. Guy has been in the band for several years and deserves a chance to show what he can do in the studio.

I also wish that Axl/Beta would let DJ and BBF produce the next album, or be in charge of album releases.

Agreed. I'm interested to see how DJ will be incorporated into the older Chinese era tracks, but that's where my interest wanes. As a personality, he's just a false and tacky individual.

Edited by sofine11

Never said DJ wasn't good. He is. I just can't stand the guy. I would be much happier with bumble and Fortus doing lead and have Pitman do rhythm since he is supposedly good at guitar and two keyboardists are useless.

Amen. That's an interesting idea though involving Pitman (I personally can't stand him). I'd personally like to see just Richard and BBF do a twin-lead approach on guitars. They can obviously handle the material. But that being said though, it'd be cool to see Pitman have some worth.

....nothing against DJ but if playing covers (which is basically what he does) is what makes a "great" guitarist, my last guitarist could kill every GNR song, as well as damn near every other band you threw at him. His name is Steve. Add him to the list.

Does "Steve" have a #1 hit like Dj?

....nothing against DJ but if playing covers (which is basically what he does) is what makes a "great" guitarist, my last guitarist could kill every GNR song, as well as damn near every other band you threw at him. His name is Steve. Add him to the list.

That's funny as hell. It'd be awesome if one of these lists did something like that- Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, and Steve.

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

We both know the answer to that

To be fair, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix never had #1 hits either.

• Like 1

What was DJ's number one hit?

You guys always say that billboard hits and album sales don't matter, though, so I'm not sure why it would matter if DJ had a number or not (which he doesn't).

I do know that Slash has had WAY more "hits" than DJ has, and it isn't even close.

• Like 1

You guys always say that billboard hits and album sales don't matter, though, so I'm not sure why it would matter if DJ had a number or not (which he doesn't).

I do know that Slash has had WAY more "hits" than DJ has, and it isn't even close.

I'm pretty sure Life is Beautiful and/or Lies of the Beautiful People by Sixx Am. They both get regular rock play. I personally like Life is Beautiful but hate Lies of the Beautiful people.

DJ Ashba doesn't have a #1 hit that he alone wrote. Also, just so we can appreciate the genius that goes into writing a #1 song, let's list some other songs that hit #1:

"Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley

“I Want It That Way" by Backstreet Boys

"I’m Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred

"Who Let the Dogs Out?" by Baha Men

"Wannabe" by Spice Girls

"Macarena" by Los Del Rio

"Heat of the Moment" by Asia

"We Built This City" by Starship

I'm pretty sure Life is Beautiful and/or Lies of the Beautiful People by Sixx Am. They both get regular rock play. I personally like Life is Beautiful but hate Lies of the Beautiful people.

Nope.

Life is Beautiful hit #26 on the billboard charts.

Maybe DJ had a number one hit with The Bullet Boys or with the Addiction To The Friction album?

4Tus and Ron are OK on that list

but Ashba?

please...

Zoltan Bathory is on that list, good, good

Edited by Crash Diet

DJ Ashba doesn't have a #1 hit that he alone wrote. Also, just so we can appreciate the genius that goes into writing a #1 song, let's list some other songs that hit #1:

"Wannabe" by Spice Girls

Don't forget "Don't Worry, Be Happy." Wasn't that a #1 hit as well? #1 hits don't signify much beyond what teenage girls are into at the time. Even with AFD, a big reason it did so well is because Sweet Child appealed to that demographic. I'm not lumping Guns in with those artists, just saying that #1 hits don't mean much in the way of artistic merit. #1 hits and great selling albums can still be masterpieces, but masterpieces don't have to have #1 hits or sell well. I love Frank Zappa and his only top 40 song was "Valley Girl" and it not close to being his best song, but it did appeal to teenage girls (actually it mocked them, but thats neither here nor there).

• Like 2

I heard some recordings of your band ( i saw the soundcloud link in an other thread)

Yeah he did a great job

add him to the list

btw i like your voice :headbang:

"Wannabe" by Spice Girls

Macarena is alone a better song than DJ's entire career, imo

• Like 1

I heard some recordings of your band ( i saw the soundcloud link in an other thread)

Yeah he did a great job

add him to the list

btw i like your voice :headbang:

Hey, thanks, man! I appreciate it. :heart:

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that Mark Phillips, a random writer for that site, is the barometer of which absolute and undeniable proof of relevancy and competent guitar playing is assessed ;)

Anyways, DJ was a part of a decent rock hit 7 years ago that I have not heard get any radio play in a long time. How people have come to the conclusion that DJ's playing is relevant in 2014 is beyond me

Only in the GNR world can people associate our favorite #AshbaSwag CEO with anything close to a musician. Still waiting, it's not his crappy work on Saints Of Los Angeles that's gonna convince me. Sixx AM is okay, but come on. This guy, a professional musician? What a joke.

Nope.

Life is Beautiful hit #26 on the billboard charts.

Maybe DJ had a number one hit with The Bullet Boys or with the Addiction To The Friction album?

Yep. Lies Of The Beautiful People hit #1