Tommy Stinson in 2 touring bands in 2014

Guns will play the last show of the South American tour on Wednesday, April 9 in Asuncion, Paraguay, then Tommy will play w/ The Replacements at Coachella in Indio, California on Friday, April 11th and 18th.

Not a lot of time in between.

Seems like The Replacements are active in '14, so Tommy will need to juggle obligations between the 2 bands.

I think this is bad news. Thoughts?

Well, Tommy has been my favourite member of 'NuGN'R' since 2001.

I'm also a big fan of the Replacements. My prediction last year, when news broke about the Replacements reuniting, was that Tommy might very well leave GN'R to tour/record with them (they've gained a huge audience in the last decade; the whole 'indie' scene basically resurrected the Replacements as indie rock gods).

I don't want it to happen, because Tommy is a big part of the new GN'R for me. If he leaves and is replaced by someone other than Duff McKagan, it will be hard for me to swallow.

But I won't be surprised if it happens.

Tommy stepped down as bassist for Soul Asylum because of his commitments to Guns N' Roses, so I'm sure this Replacements activity was discussed ahead of time, as he takes GN'R very seriously.

That being said, Coachella has been trying to get a reunited Replacements for several years. Maybe it's a one-off?

Maybe Guns will tour proper and The Mats will just hit festivals?

Maybe we're fucked?

Nu Guns was always just a nice paying gig for Stinson. He wasn't a fan prior to playing with Axl. You can tell his heart was never in it.

The Replacements is his pride and joy, and with all the retrospective attention they've been getting over the years, I'm sure he's getting paid quite the pretty penny for these gigs. If he's gotta choose one or the other, you can bet your bottom dollar it will be the Mats.

Who knows? If he took good care of all that money he made playing with Axl all these years, he might be financially ok to just cut tides.

Really only a matter of time. Bumble's and Tommy's exits are looking more foreseeable than ever.

• Like 1

I highly doubt Tommy leaves. I'd be positively stunned if he did. Its not like he and Paul are best friends. If he does leave I'll be disappointed. Aside from Dizzy no one past or present has been in GNR longer than Tommy has. (come to think of it, this lineup is the most stable, longest running lineup in the band's storied history). If he were to leave I think I'd consider it a loss for sure, but I think they'd be okay. I could envision Duff stepping in or if they were really in a tight spot, Pitman is allegedly a more than capable bassist.

What if Tommy left and Bumble followed shortly thereafter? Can anyone picture DJ Ashba and Slash in the same band? Of course, I don't think there's any chance of that happening, but that sure would be a sight to see.

I highly doubt Tommy leaves. I'd be positively stunned if he did. Its not like he and Paul are best friends. If he does leave I'll be disappointed. Aside from Dizzy no one past or present has been in GNR longer than Tommy has. (come to think of it, this lineup is the most stable, longest running lineup in the band's storied history). If he were to leave I think I'd consider it a loss for sure, but I think they'd be okay. I could envision Duff stepping in or if they were really in a tight spot, Pitman is allegedly a more than capable bassist.

What if Tommy left and Bumble followed shortly thereafter? Can anyone picture DJ Ashba and Slash in the same band? Of course, I don't think there's any chance of that happening, but that sure would be a sight to see.

I have thought this is probably the most realistic scenerio. I think Axl really likes Ashba, perhaps they have good working relationship (like Axl had with Izzy). Plus Axl is too proud to give up on nugnr, so any type of Slash return would involve a classic and nu gnr merger. Honestly Tommy leaving could be the catalyst to making this happen. Because who else are you gonna get to play bass other than Duff. If Duff comes back, then perhaps a Slash return becomes possible, perhaps Sorum as well. I don't think Izzy would want to join anything full time, I think he enjoys his once and a while return shows. So Axl would move DJ to mostly rhythm, which he would probably get solos here and there anyways. Of course this means BBF, Frank, and Fortus are out. But if Slash and Duff are back them who cares right?

As for an album goes, take the best 3~5 illusion/96 session leftovers, 3~5 CD era leftovers, then try to write new things with whatever is left. You let Slash and DJ put parts over the CD era stuff, to make it there own. Call the album Guns n' Roses and everybody is happy.

• Like 1