The greatest American rock band of all time? Surely not Guns N' Roses?

Well, I'm not sure I even agree with this. Metallica seem to win this one for me mainly due to output, high quality and a well received comeback album (a true American dream band). Guns are great, but they went away for a while and a lot of people would argue they should have stayed away. GnR are top 5 for sure but if we're talking about Guns entire history to date, they need one hell of a comeback album before they can be deemed greatest of all time again... In 1989-1996 people probably put them right up there. Maybe people still do and they just exclude the new Guns N Roses as a totally separate entity.

• Like 1

I'd rank GNR up there. People complain about there not being enough output, but there's so much quality. Its like every song is a classic. Plus if you think of the Illusions is more like 3 albums (which really it is in terms of # of songs) they have more material than a lot of people realize.

I'd rank Metallica up there, CCR, Pearl Jam, RHCP, Doors, a few others.

Seems like a bias list. Since it is the broadest tense "rock and roll", I find it quite lacking. For the life of me, I don't know how this list can exist without the Beach Boys, Elvis or Chuck Berry. If you are going to include REM, how can you exclude Chuck Berry from rock and roll? If they had made it bands only, then ok exclude Elvis and Chuck, but if you are gonna proclaim Bruce #1 of all time, I gotta call bullshit. I'm not even an Elvis fan, but he deserves the top spot over Bruce Springsteen, Chuck Berry deserves to be higher than Bruce also. I'm sure Bruce would even admit to that.

I wouldn't call them the best... My favorite, yes. But not the best.

Here's my top 10, in no order....

The Who

The Rolling Stones

Guns N Roses

ACDC

Van Halen

Led Zeppelin

Metallica

Queen

Aerosmith

U2

Honorable Mentions: Styx, Rush, Pink Floyd, The Eages.....

The list fluctuates, it really depends what kind of music I'm in the mood for.

The Who

The Rolling Stones

Guns N Roses

ACDC

Van Halen

Led Zeppelin

Metallica

Queen

Aerosmith

U2

Honorable Mentions: Styx, Rush, Pink Floyd, The Eages.....

The list fluctuates, it really depends what kind of music I'm in the mood for.

most of those aren't American bands

Are people posting their personal favorites or the bands that they think are actually the best? Because there is a huge difference.

Who/what is a rock band also matters. I don't consider Bruce a "rock band." The Beatles were more of a pop band than rock band. Johnny Be Goode is more of a rock song than anything Bruce every did.

Was Buddy Holly a rock musician or a pop musician?

Liers - your list looks pretty solid!

Mind you, this means the real Guns n' Roses. The one with Slash, Duff and Izzy.

The Who

The Rolling Stones

ACDC

Led Zeppelin

Queen

U2

Pink Floyd

Not American bands...

Are people posting their personal favorites or the bands that they think are actually the best? Because there is a huge difference.

Who/what is a rock band also matters. I don't consider Bruce a "rock band." The Beatles were more of a pop band than rock band. Johnny Be Goode is more of a rock song than anything Bruce every did.

Was Buddy Holly a rock musician or a pop musician?

Liers - your list looks pretty solid!

I posted who should be a head of Bruce, not my personal favs.

Oh, god, you're right, VH is not there. The fuck?

You have Hendrix, but no EVH? They are usually referred as the two greatest american rock guitar players ever.

You can divide rock history in before and after Jimmy, but the same applies for Eddie.

What's up with this trend of people posting polls from random websites and then saying its irrefutable proof?

I don't fucking care what a poll from a random shitty website says. I genuinely don't care.

I could find a million other idiotic polls from a million other idiotic websites which state the complete opposite of the ones which say that DJ and bumble are the greatest guitarists of all time or that nu-GNR is the world's leading band in 2014. Why don't you post those polls? Oh yeah, because those polls don't support your opinion, so therefore they aren't fact.

Only the polls which support YOUR opinion are factual. Got it.

• Like 3