The greatest American rock band of all time? Surely not Guns N' Roses?

Aerosmith. Given their success in part 2. especially as its such American success. Money in the bank., big sales, big shows.

and generic tunes written by marketing firms. Can't get any more American than that. Also videos with big boobies very zeitgeist. GNR is probably the best international band.

Guns N Roses to me just captured everything that made Rock and Roll great and put it into one band. They were the accumulation of everything that came before them, and nothing has been seen like them since. They might stand as the last great rock and roll band.

So for me they are the ultimate rock band and as far as American bands go I would like to think it's a no brainer, but everyone has their taste.

Edited by IncitingChaos

In response to the Springsteen knockers.The guys shows are Epic, not only does he still play 3 and a half hours every night at 64 years of age, he is also diverse, he alters the setlist every night, he still releases music that the fans stilk enjoy, and is relevant.He has recruited Tom Morello for someyhing that bit harder edged.

I so wish Axl would get his act yogether and do something a bit more exciying, ssy release an album or two.

In response to the Springsteen knockers.The guys shows are Epic, not only does he still play 3 and a half hours every night at 64 years of age, he is also diverse, he alters the setlist every night, he still releases music that the fans stilk enjoy, and is relevant.He has recruited Tom Morello for someyhing that bit harder edged.

I so wish Axl would get his act yogether and do something a bit more exciying, ssy release an album or two.

I am probably one of the "Springsteen knockers" you spoke of. I don't have anything against him, I actually like some of his music. But my point was/is if you are going to include guys like Bruce and Tom Petty (which is fine imo) then you also have to include guys like Chuck Berry, Elvis, and Little Richard. I'm sorry but no possible universe exists where Bruce Springsteen belongs a head of any of those guys in an "all time greatest" catagory. If you want to crown Elvis "the greatest American rock n roll" whatever, I don't have a problem with that, and I'm not really an Elvis fan (see the beatles vs Elvis thread for refrence). I was just making the point that claiming Bruce as #1 is just as sacralidge as claiming gnr are #1.