'Guns N Roses Only Late To Stage Because Of Huge Rig', Says DJ Ashba

Funny, I watched this video earlier today - it's a comp of a bunch of old interview outtakes and whatnot with Slash, Axl, Dizzy, Duff, and others. in the first interview with Slash, he says the band is trying to get better about getting up on stage on time. In the second interview, he makes excuses, including blaming all the gear. Now he was young and drunk and high then, so I can kind of smh and laugh about it, but I knew back in the day that it was mostly Axl behind the delays. And he was the only one who walked off mid-set. Now to see one of the newer members defend it seems really silly and kind of sad. I wish Axl would get control over some of the demons that make him do stupid things and just keep the demons that make him a good lyricist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMCyGeL5Fsk

I saw them on the UCAP tour in Orlando. GN'R didn't come onstage until nearly 1 AM. There wasn't any huge, elaborate stage or anything like that. It was at the HOB or Hard Rock, pretty small and limited with what you could do.

I was there too front row. What a great show. Shook axls hand a few times and bumble went out of his way to give me a pick.

Edited by wasteofammo

He's full of shit.

The pyro/lights/screens are already in place before the opening act starts. Usually the drum kit and guitar stacks are also previously rolled in and tested (since afternoon sound check).

The only pre-GNR requirements involve the crew rechecking mics and cable connections, and delivering the effects boxes and other floor items to the stage. Anyone that's been to a few shows would know this.

But like, other bands have huge stage sets too, and aren't late.

Yeah, I guess those piddling little bands like U2 or The Rolling Stones don't have elaborate state set-ups. Nope. Just a guy with a flashlight.

Please.

Yeah!

escenario-u2-360-tour-Camp-Nou.jpg

Come on now, you cannot be serious. That's not nearly as big of a show as GN'R puts on!

/sarcasm

Guns N' Roses's lateness has really goten better recently, hasn't it?

It has which is part of my problem with what DJ had to say anyways. I mean, why make something up like "it's the size of the show"? I think Axl said something to that effect on TMS and I didn't agree with it then either. Look at all the examples that have been given of much bigger shows that go on right on time every night.

The best excuse/reason Axl's ever given was something in the vein of "It takes me a while to get in the right head space to put on that quality of a show". Not a direct quote by any means, but you get the point. While others have called bullshit on that over the years, that excuse at least holds water for me. If for no other reason than the fact that it's not easily proven to be bullshit with a quick YouTube search.

Back to what you said though.... yes, they've been getting better at starting the show on time. Why not just answer that way instead of making up something that's laughably untrue?

Guest cbgnr666

The huge rig thing is a pretty bad excuse, but in all fairness when gnr tour they are doing a show usually every second night approx, so there would probably be more issues with set up and tear down with the shows in such close proximity to one another as compared to that U2 stage. I'm pretty sure that takes months to set up for one show,at least that was the case in Moncton a few years back.U2 don't set that stage up and tear down three times a week.Apples and oranges.imo

Maybe we took this up wrong? Huge rig could be slang for a big dick?

'Guns N Roses only late to stage because of big dick'

He's talking about Axl. Now it makes sense :lol:

Ha ha I was just going to post saying is it just me who is shooray for tolerance!ing at the phrase huge rig. Obviously not!

I can't use the word 'shooray for tolerance!ing'. Really. Lol