Axl's intentions with '99 AFD

Bobbo

Marc,

It's well known that Axl once planned to release a re-recorded version of AFD in the late '90s. My question is this. Was he actually planning on *attempting* to have the old AFD replaced by the new AFD? As in, the '87 would no longer be in print in favor for the '99 one? Did he ever tell you exactly HOW he wanted the re-release to go down?

I've never understood how it became considered fact that Axl planned on releasing this. From the few times he's mentioned it, he's made Axl made it sound like it was for rehearsal/learning purposes.

Because Marc said he was at the time.

Do you think that will ever be released in anyway, even if its a leak?

It will leak eventually. There are people on this very forum who have it. Half the songs don't have any vocals, though.

Really? Do we know which tracks have vocals? Do we know how they leaked to forum members?
Do we know which 2 were replaced by YCBM and Patience?

Nothing will ever stop the first one from being out but I think he wanted to use the second one for movie soundtracks and what ever else he could use it for.

As in he wanted to possibly use the '99 AFD for movies etc....so as he would not have to pay royalties to Duff, Izzy, Slash & Steven?

• 4 weeks later...

During the 2004 lawsuit, Slash and Duff's lawyers actually brought up the re-recording of 'Welcome to the Jungle' which Axl wanted for Black Hawk Down, that Axl was trying to con them out of their mechanical royalties. It actually wouldn't surprise me if Axl had some intention, at some stage, of replacing the original 1987 album with the 1999 re-recording a la Ozzy Osbourne (wiping Daisley/Kerslake's tracks on the 2002 reissue of Blizzard of Oz); of course, it is one of those ideas a lawyer would recomend against!

During the 2004 lawsuit, Slash and Duff's lawyers actually brought up the re-recording of 'Welcome to the Jungle' which Axl wanted for Black Hawk Down, that Axl was trying to con them out of their mechanical royalties. It actually wouldn't surprise me if Axl had some intention, at some stage, of replacing the original 1987 album with the 1999 re-recording a la Ozzy Osbourne (wiping Daisley/Kerslake's tracks on the 2002 reissue of Blizzard of Oz); of course, it is one of those ideas a lawyer would recomend against!

Plus, there wouldn't be a market for it in terms of sync rights for films. With Black Hawk Down and other movies that would want to use WTTJ, in a lot of cases they'd want it because they want a song that defines that era; they don't want a modern re-recording (the only case I can think of with a period film going with re-recordings is with The Wrestler and the Ratt songs being covers by the ex-lead singer Stephen Pearcy).

Edited by Amir