Madgascar, The Old Man and the Sea: Axl mini-rant from Paris 2012

7:38: "I remember... seeing on the web, somebody said <whinynerdvoice>, 'Why'd he have to sing that song with, like, an old man's voice?', it's like, maybe 'cause one of the influences was Hemmingway's "Old Man and The Sea", fucking, y'know, just by chance, I DON'T KNOW... but y'know, on the web, they know everything..."

:lol:

• Like 2

Tbf, he's revealed quite a bit over the years: Kundun being the genesis for CD, John Lennon connection to Catcher, VTech shootings inspiring lyrics for Shackler's, the press release for OMG. Back in the day he used to reveal a lot more, but I think it was in the TMS interview (it was an interview from 2011-2013) where he said he didn't like mentioning bands he listened to any more since it tended to backfire on him in the past. i.e. Faith No More talking shit behind his back while opening for GNR, Trent being pissed at Axl because GNR fans booed him during his sets opening for Guns, I don't think I've ever seen anything positive from Chris Cornell on Axl, and Fred Durst ("Limp Bizkit is fun") called CD a joke.

• Like 1

Why is Dj laughing? No offence to the guy, but there's no way he's read anything by Hemingway in his life.

In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say he's never read anything.

• Like 3

While I agree there's a dearth of info on a lot of stuff in GNR-world, I can understand in the case of an artist's influences etc. why they wouldn't want to be explicit; Axl already mentioned in the chats he wanted people to get their own interpretation of the music, and some of it may be too personal for the artist to reveal (i.e. TWAT, I'm sure he doesn't want to talk about the specifics of that song).

It's no secret he doesn't take criticism lightly :P As with most things Axl, though, there are times when he seems to be in a better mood about them/us, like when he called the fans "downloading motherfuckers" with a smile during 2006. And he's thankful to the fans in his tweets, interviews, etc.

Good thread. Am interested to hear from Axl the actual reason as to why he chose that type of voice to sing the song. No problem with it at all, just would be interesting to know.

This video also highlights the disconnect with the fans. I know there are some absolute nutters on this board but there are also some pretty normal genuine fans too!

Just to clear up, when Axl and fans talk about the "old man voice" are they referring to how he sang it live in '01/'02, or how he sounded on the album? Most of the complaints I can remember from after the album's release were that he didn't sing it like he did back then. It was the voice on the album version that specifically made me reconsider Axl Rose after hating his voice for years and made me dig deeper into the Chinese Democracy saga, still one of my favourite tracks from CD and one of my all-time favourite GNR songs. I thought he sounded more like an old black woman than an old man :P Shackler's was the first CD song I heard because of Rock Band II, but it was Madagascar and Sorry that really caught my interest (took me a while to get into Shackler's).

Edited by Amir

The martyr complex thing is deeply entrenched: it's not just in the interviews, etc., you can see it in other places, like his favourite films: Cool Hand Luke, the films sampled for Madagascar (the ultimate martyr complex song), Kundun, The Dark Knight Rises... Those are off the top of my head, but there's a bunch more that I can't recall right now. The main songs that feature it are Out Ta Get Me, Madagasar, Prostitute, Coma, Better, Street of Dreams... I used to have a similar mentality, especially when I discovered GNR back in '08. For years the songs really hit me hard, because I felt all those emotions, tracks like TWAT would just send me soaring to highs and lows. Now, I can look back and see it was immature and solipsistic, but I can still appreciate the craft behind the lyrics in the same way I can still appreciate NIN despite not being depressed any more.

Edited by Amir

I like a little mysticism, I also like bands that do extensive interview cycles talking about the same thing repeatedly... however, I don't like when my favourite band does 3/4 major interviews in 10 + years. I think Axl likes the old way, the Zeppelin way, where they didn't do a lot of interviews and they didn't pander to the press like a lot of modern bands today... the only problem is that he gets worked up over things people say on the net because they aren't factual... well, you can't have it both ways, the less info that comes from the horses mouth the more media and fans will speculate.

"Your," not "you're." ; ) I'm not looking for any fight, but I do love the sweet irony of you, of all people, saying it. That's rich.

I never said you claimed to be an insider. But you do seem to have a lot of confidence in your perceptions about Axl and the band. Thus, Axl's statement could apply to you, right? Right. :thumbsup: