What are Chris Pitman's musical merits?

I feel bad for people who think Silkworms is some sort of revolutionary masterpiece; it means that these people haven't explored music, they don't realize how much better music is actually out there.

Miserere is a masterpiece; Silkworms is not.

It's like hearing someone say that a McDouble is a masterpiece of cuisine. It's just so pathetic, so sad. Like hearing someone say that Budweiser is the height of beer.

Please show me all of these posts from people who think Silkworms is a masterpiece.

• Like 2

why shouldn't he be in GNR ? Everyone else in LA has been in the band

No, but seriously, you guy's can't know what Pitman brings to the table while on the studio, he's experienced and his music is original ! Axl keep's him around even if he isn't really needed live because he needs/wants him in the studio.

Besides he co-wrote Madagascar, enough said.

Chris Pitman was very important when Axl was looking to completely change the band's style and start doing more Chinese Democracy-style songs. When they do Chinese Democracy songs, Chris' parts are definitely necessary.

Unfortunately, Axl has backtracked and just plays mostly pre-2001 songs, which leaves them to try and come up with things for Chris to do during them.

• Like 2

Chris Pitman was very important when Axl was looking to completely change the band's style and start doing more Chinese Democracy-style songs. When they do Chinese Democracy songs, Chris' parts are definitely necessary.

Unfortunately, Axl has backtracked and just plays mostly pre-2001 songs, which leaves them to try and come up with things for Chris to do during them.

This.

There is a quote somewhere with Axl saying that Pitman would play way more of a role on things to come after Chinese Democracy, but I don't want to search for that quote and also, who knows if the vision for what's to come after Chinese is still the same as it was all those years ago.

- Watching him play that springing keyboard drunk off his ass

- His towel action at Bridge School Benefit

- Singing with Neil Young at Bridge School

- His semi-molestation of that woman who was interviewing him a few months back

In all seriousness though, I think his musical contributions to the album are undeniable. He pretty much makes "If the World." That being said, I can understand the opinion that he is relatively unnecessary playing live, especially when we only get three of four Chinese Democracy songs at a typical concert now. I just like blowing peoples' minds that this is a rock band that has three guitarists and two keyboard/synthesizers guys. If Brain had gone along with Axl's idea to have two drummers, it would have been even more hysterical.

• Like 1

His electronics in SCOM and YCBM :drool:

Kinda goes back to my idea that electronic blurbs just fuck up the songs. They weren't there in the original recordings. I mean I can appreciate new/radical renditions of old songs, but I'd prefer if they were actually good.

My understanding was that he's there to play all the stuff most bands would simply play a recording of. The synthesizer in Paradise City, added backing vocals, the strings in November Rain, that sort of thing.

He's a big step up from Tracy and Roberta.

That's actually a really good argument. Thank you.

No, but seriously, you guy's can't know what Pitman brings to the table while on the studio, he's experienced and his music is original ! Axl keep's him around even if he isn't really needed live because he needs/wants him in the studio.

Well in that case I'll just take a flight to LAX and file an application to to join the band. If he wants him in the studio, LET HIM BE A STUDIO GUY. And Maddy isn't a great song.

Also a great argument, thank you.

--------

Honestly I still have a rather negative opinion of him and for the most part I still think he's not needed and he's still a dick but I do now have a decent understanding of what he contributes to both a studio and live setting and I appreciate everyone for helping me get to that point.

I would still relegate him to a studio role though. But this opinion branches from my bias that GNR needs to go back to its lean-and-mean roots. I don't dig the whole overkill thing the current lineup has going for it because I'd love to see the band strip down the excess (Let Dizzy handle the keyboard and have Ron and Richard be the only guitarists in a twin-lead format) and add a technically-proficient twist to the songs. I'd also love to see some of the Chinese songs stripped down (Why not have one of the guitarists play the opener on ITW and let Dizzy handle the synths [Although I'd prefer if synths were left out of GNR in general]).

But yeah, I do have some respect for him now, thank you. Just let him be another Paul Huge or something. GNR didn't need a Tracy and Roberta in the first place; it's like the Stones having Lisa and Bernard to compensate for the fact that they are out of their prime.

My understanding was that he's there to play all the stuff most bands would simply play a recording of. The synthesizer in Paradise City, added backing vocals, the strings in November Rain, that sort of thing.

He's a big step up from Tracy and Roberta.

Christ that is quite the endorsement.

Chris ‘a step up from Tracy and Roberta' Pittman

Ever since I decided to become a more devout follower of Guns N' Roses, I've always questioned why in the hell Chris Pitman is in the band. Why does GNR need a multi-instrumentalist when they already have a fuckload of other musicans INCLUDING a keyboardist who has been doing his job well for over 20 years? It's not like he's on the musical level of Garth Hudson or anything.

Granted, I believe that new GNR needs to return to its lean-and-mean hard rock roots and as such, I'm not really one for the overkill/excess that characterizes the current lineup of the band. I get that he helped with the writing of Chinese Democracy and honestly I can respect the hell out of that. But, I'd relegate him to a studio role because I think his live contributions are just plain awful. I just don't see the point of adding sub-bass or programming or synths or any other sort of electronic blurbs that fuck up the music (Assuming you can hear it over the three-guitar onslaught that's already occurring onstage). And for the songs that he doesn't have an electronic contribution on, well I don't fucking care about him playing a tambourine. It's just giving him an excuse for something to do.

It also doesn't help that I think he's kind of a dick after watching that one interview he did, but that's another story.

With all of this being said, I was hoping that someone can convince me that he's a valuable member of the band. I understand that I have a really heavy bias against him, but I'm still really hoping that some of the fervent new-GNR supporters can come to my aid on this one.

Sticklebricks

They are your way forward. You can make yourself a sticklebrick girlfriend

This is the only reason why he still in the band on the live shows, the possibility of an ITW performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlpcC6D3HMQ

Edited by Crash Diet