List your ALL-TIME favourite 'NuGN'R' moments

Feel free to post a context to your clips, too (e.g. why they are memorable to you).

For me, there are tons of moments - I'd say the Hammerstein shows rank up there at the very top, and the '06 tour in general was very defining for me - but in more recent memory, 'Estranged' being played for the first time live in almost 20 years was a definite biggie. Rio V pretty much sucked, unfortunately, and Axl's vocals weren't their best throughout the gig, but there was a certain magic to being able to stream the event and see the fan-favourite song being played live. It carried an oddly emotional weight to it.

My personal favourite moment of the performance is during DJ's solo, when Axl starts stomping about in the water. You can just tell he's feelin' it. It's about 6:20 into the video:

• Like 1

For me it was seeing Axl for the first time in Lubbock. I think for every fan it's a little surreal seeing him walk out on stage for the first time. He has an amazing presence. Seeing him walk out on stage in this video from Lubbock you realize it was an exciting moment for everyone there.

That moment is more personal for me. I'd say the best moment for everyone would be the 2006 Hamnerstein shows also. I wish I had been a bigger fan at the time, but it must have been amazing getting updates on Axl's new look and amazing voice being intact. A special moment for everyone in hindsight and in the moment.

Look forward to more special moments in the future.

The whole experience that went along with seeing them for the first time was memorable.

From when Body of Lies came out until about xmas '08 was really exciting too. Too bad it took a year for the tour to start tho :lol:

Hearing Estranged for the first time live was incredible as well. I was one of the people with Dolphins in Seattle :D

The 2nd and 3rd GnR gigs I saw were with Duff & Loaded (I got Loadeds setlist- the one in front of Duff to be exact), and the 4th and 5th shows I saw were with Izzy. I think that's pretty lucky! It was definitely great to see Axl/Duff and Axl/Izzy rockin' out only a few feet in front of me rock3

This will be an awesome thread if you guys don't turn it into an old vs nu arguments. I'll contribute tomorrow when I am less tired as there are many moments I can think of :D

And holy shit, as bad as Rio IV was, I was on my couch, my gf fell asleep on my lap and I screamed when Axl started Estranged...

She was not happy!

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Like you guys, Estranged from Rio was one of the first things that popped in my head.

And also seeing Axl in a club in Tokyo, 2012 and witnessing Estranged live for the first time, even though his voice wasn't so hot.

Tokyo 2009 was also a once in a lifetime experience.

For me, there was also the short 2002 tour cause it was my first time seeing Axl live, so Cleveland 2002 will always be special to me.

Other than that, the big ones....Vegas 2001.....those first MP3s of "Riad" and "CD" leaking....and then finally THE BLUES was online and it felt like 1991 all over again.

Rio 2001....MTV VMAs was thrilling to me when it happened, but became more of a disaster in hindsight.

The Hammersmith shows were awesome too cause TWAT and a few others were debuted.

My first time seeing Axl for sure, it was such a cool feeling to see that man, the man who wrote my favorite songs, the man who did all those rants, the man who was in the videos I had, my favorite singer in front of me.

Bucket's Nightrain solo.

VMAs 2002. First time I ever saw GN'R, and I loved it.

The live streams. It was cool to be able to watch my favorite band on my couch.

01-01-01 for obvious reasons

I'll post more when I'm not as tired

Seeing Axl first in 07 and again last year, having Ashba run up to me and pour his beer on me as he ran past.

Release of Chi Dem

Getting to Know Richard, Ron, etc other bands.

Hearing Estranged for the first time.

Realsing that if Axl couldn't sing at all his stage presence alone would kick a lot of ass compared to other musicians.

Bach & Axl doing My Michelle and Rocket Queen Together.

Can't pinpoint just one

Sydney 2010 Madagascar (An amazing moment)

Adelaide 2010 The Bumblefoot chant during Pink Panther by the Aussie crew

Melbourne 2013 first night the front row drinking together and Axl passing out the beers

Newcastle 2013 Great show and excellent night with everyone

• Like 1

Meeting Ron after Birmingham 2010, which was also an amazing gig...got near the front and everything.

Getting CD in the post and having the house to myself, just sitting with it playing full blast. Even if the phone started ringing during the Prostitute outro!

When Riad, ITW and Prostitute leaked as well. Was just blown away.

The 2002 MTV award show performance created the most excitement for me by far. From Jimmy Fallon's excitable introduction to the entire intro of Jungle right up to when Axl first sings was amazing and I literally had chills. Especially hearing Axl's "howl" in the intro. Fucking awesome. I still get chills when I watch it. It was such a long wait for Axl to come back and we all knew it was a new band and I was so pumped and hopeful and just wanted it to kick ass. It was fucking exciting. Then Axl started singing and he sounded a bit weird..... and it kinda went downhill from there. I really liked the melody in Madagascar and thought it sounded really cool but again Axl sounded weird to me but still I didn't care. Guns N' Roses was back or had debuted, whatever you wanna call it and in a few months I'd see them live in Vancouver, or so I thought and then it all fell apart and ever since they've become a running joke. But for that 90 seconds on MTV in 2002 that was one of my favourite GnR memories ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWTD6x--Vc

Also the weekend in New York when I saw them at the Hammerstein Ballroom was pretty damn fun.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

VMAs definitely, they look so up to date and modern and cool and mental and wild and it just felt like being on the cusp of something...when he went 'round 1' i was thinkin' WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, it's AWNNN now :D

VMA's 2002 was very poor as a performance, but the fact that it happened at all had me on the edge of my seat. And Fallon's introduction was absolutely killer! He was every bit as much a fanboy as the rest of us. ;) The whole thing just seemed unreal. Kind of the same for RIR 2001.

Seeing GnR in 2006 (Nijmegen) was a very surreal experience for me. Very amazing though. The excitement was everywhere. There's a long raving review by yours truly some where deep in the bowels of this forum. Having Izzy join them completely blew my mind as well. I think you can hear me scream IZZY like a 14 year old Bieber fan on a bootleg somewhere. When I saw them again in 2010, the feel was completely different though. Not that same tension and excitement.

Other than that I don't have many personal highlights. In fairness GnR has this tendency to completely bomb at high-profile gigs. But I'm sure there are many special moments for the people who attended all the regular gigs.

Other than that, the leaks.

Edited by username