Franky Perez interview (Glide magazine)

franky-perez-03b-578x359.jpg

How did you get involved [with the Kings of Chaos]?

Well, like I said, we were doing the show for an amazing charity so when Matt called; actually it wasnt even a call, it was an email. I didnt even get done reading it and I was already saying yes. Its an amazing cause. So you have that going in, that youre there to do something good, its something good for the world. So there was that feeling over the whole event. Matt and I have had a really interesting but great relationship. The way I got introduced to all those guys was I auditioned for Velvet Revolver a few years ago and actually got the gig; like Slash called me and told me to stick around, that were going to do this. But then the process of us writing music and rehearsing, I dont if it was something he planned to do all along or just really got inspired to do, decided he was going to do the Slash and friends thing and it just didnt happen.

But it was really good for me, although at the time it sucked, like ah man, this is it, I get to work with these guys and were going to make this great music and it went away and I was so sad. But its actually been one of the best things thats ever happened. I now have good relationships with all those guys and Ive worked with each one individually: me and Dave Kushner write songs and weve done a lot of stuff together; Ive done stuff with Duff in Camp Freddy; Slash and I did a few shows together where I sang with the Slash & Friends project prior to Myles Kennedy getting the gig full time. And me and Matt work constantly, from Kings Of Chaos to Magnificent Seven to Camp Freddy to our own stuff. I have produced a record out of his studio and hes been like a big brother in a sense and has always taken care of me.

Full interview: http://www.glidemagazine.com/43120/franky-perez/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZPtCRlsCs8

When he says auditioned for VR, I assume he means as their new singer after Weiland had left?

This guy has a pretty good voice, I remember being really impressed by videos of him with Slash a few years back, especially his Whole Lotta Love:

It's not stellar, so I can see why he wasn't chosen for the gig full-time, but I prefer him to Myles. I remember reading that this guy was a replacement for Daron Malakian in Scars on Broadway as well (though Scars minus Daron isn't really Scars on Broadway any more...).