The T.V. Show Thread

Georgy Zhukov

On 12/25/2018 at 9:34 PM, Angelica said:

Kenny Vs Spenny on YouTube 🤣❤️   

24 hours later, still going 😳 

This threw me quite a bit. You seem to usually consume "high culture" TV/film and while I love KvS, this seems to be an outlier in your viewing habits. I would have expected maybe Dazey or ZoSo to post this (or myself). :lol:

This episode is a classic - the goat dragging Spenny around the living room is probably one of my top 5 comedy TV moments.

• Like 1

Remember when we would gather around the campfire and watch True Detective?

I miss how TD was a cultural event, with people disceting it’s themes and plot points. It seems like it’s just another cop noir, now.

I’m trying to get excited about this third season, but I find that it’s just not gripping in the way it should be. The mystery of the children should be a lot more arresting, but so far, it’s almost like “who cares? Except Wayne...”

I thought season 2 was very slow going though and had many of the same complaints about that mystery. By the time of the season finale, I came around to thinking it was an exceptional ending that lifted the weaker episodes up. Hopefully this season takes flight in the later episodes, because it’s almost boring.

If we follow the template of the previous seasons, then the central mystery will involve some type of conspiracy with men in power. So, the abduction of two children might turn out to be something else, something that had other motivations and implications to it.

On January 20, 2019 at 12:51 PM, RussTCB said:

A friend of mine keeps encouraging me to watch a show called Letterkenny. I've never seen or heard of it.

I like it a lot. Satires white, rural, Canada in a spaced-out kinda way. Lots of cringe. It's possibly a love-it-or-hate-it type of thing, but I lol! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Saturday Night Live

Host was James M from Split and Glass

He was actually very funny. He's amazing with all the different accent he can do. Loved hearing him talk in his real accent which is Scottish. He even came out with his Kilt on. Reminded me of Axl in his Kilt days.

I watched it and agree....thought he did pretty good!!! 👍

3 hours ago, SunnyDRE said:

Highly recommend The Last Kingdom. Almost as good as Game of Thrones.

Actually a better comparison would be Rome (HBO).

Good to see your name pop up!

But, I hated The Last Kingdom. :lol: I thought it was a cheap/worse GoT without much of the political intrigue. Haven't seen Rome.

If you like this sort of thing though, I'd recommend Frontier on Netflix (Jason Mamoa is one of the stars). Its premise and content is far enough from GoT that it doesn't feel derivative at all, but it still has the grittiness and realness that GoT did such a good job of expressing. 

On 1/15/2019 at 1:29 AM, jamillos said:

The last Family Guy episode was brutal! "Trump Guy"...

I haven't watched FG is years, close to a decade probably. But I saw people share the Trump vs. Peter scene on social media and I thought it was pretty entertaining and had a few laughs.

Edited by OmarBradley

20 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Started watching Community again. I watched the first three seasons I believe as it aired on TV years ago, but got lost after it’s future was on and off up in the air.

The show is such an underrated gem. 

I loved that show. Joel MaCale and chevy chase and Ken. All the actors on that show was awesome and so funny. I loved that show. NBC was stupid to cancel it.

I watched SNL again with Jason Momoa. He was very funny.

21 hours ago, EvanG said:

Is that a remake of the tv show Roswell? If so, there is no need for a remake only twenty years later, the original one was pretty good... at least for a teen show.

Actually it's part remake because it's the same characters from the original show, but older now in their twenties.

I loved the original show with Jason Behr. He was so cute. This time around the show has some changes which is cool. They've updated the girl by making her Mexican and addressing the whole wall and ICE thing. Also one of the characters is gay now. The only problem I have is the love story. Back when they were teens you really felt the love between Max and Liz, but I'm not liking it now.

Nathan Parsons now plays Max. He started out on General Hospital as Luke and Holly's son.

If you liked the original Roswell, you might check this out. I heard it's not doing so well in the ratings, so who knows where it will go from here?

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 9:58 PM, appetite4illusions said:

Remember when we would gather around the campfire and watch True Detective?

I miss how TD was a cultural event, with people disceting it’s themes and plot points. It seems like it’s just another cop noir, now.

I’m trying to get excited about this third season, but I find that it’s just not gripping in the way it should be. The mystery of the children should be a lot more arresting, but so far, it’s almost like “who cares? Except Wayne...”

I thought season 2 was very slow going though and had many of the same complaints about that mystery. By the time of the season finale, I came around to thinking it was an exceptional ending that lifted the weaker episodes up. Hopefully this season takes flight in the later episodes, because it’s almost boring.

If we follow the template of the previous seasons, then the central mystery will involve some type of conspiracy with men in power. So, the abduction of two children might turn out to be something else, something that had other motivations and implications to it.

Three episodes in and I’m enjoying the third season so far. It’s already better than the second season.

The first season is the epitome of a show that does not give you what you deserve in the end. I believe the original writers were murdered 3/4 of the way through and replaced.

I think the new True Detective, while interesting, is also painfully boring. Nothing much happens.

It's a game of show and tell and they're showing a little at a time but they're not telling us anything. The second season had the opposite problem, TOO MUCH HAPPENS. It was dense in the way a novel usually is, with lots of characters and lots of stuff going down. You had to really pay attention by the time the end came, to figure out how the whole conspiracy tied into everything.

Season 3 is now almost at the sixth episode out of eight and the "mystery" is still very well hidden. I'm pretty confident we haven't even been introduced to the real players who were involved in the kidnapping - they remain off screen. The show has now come to be more about tortured characters than it is plot, which I guess, was always kinda the case with this show - except the characters were so much more fascinating back in 2014. 

I think, in this instance, Nic Pizzolato was far more intrigued with his notion of a man losing his memory than anything else that related to plot. It was kind of an exercise in keeping the audience in the dark. He didn't have a really great story idea, this time around.

On 2/5/2019 at 10:31 AM, appetite4illusions said:

I think the new True Detective, while interesting, is also painfully boring. Nothing much happens.

It's a game of show and tell and they're showing a little at a time but they're not telling us anything. The second season had the opposite problem, TOO MUCH HAPPENS. It was dense in the way a novel usually is, with lots of characters and lots of stuff going down. You had to really pay attention by the time the end came, to figure out how the whole conspiracy tied into everything.

Season 3 is now almost at the sixth episode out of eight and the "mystery" is still very well hidden. I'm pretty confident we haven't even been introduced to the real players who were involved in the kidnapping - they remain off screen. The show has now come to be more about tortured characters than it is plot, which I guess, was always kinda the case with this show - except the characters were so much more fascinating back in 2014. 

I think, in this instance, Nic Pizzolato was far more intrigued with his notion of a man losing his memory than anything else that related to plot. It was kind of an exercise in keeping the audience in the dark. He didn't have a really great story idea, this time around.

That first season of True Detective....I mean, WOW. That was must-see television. I always liked Woody Harrelson, but it was really Matthew McConaghey who blew me away with his performance. I have it on blu-ray, will need to watch it again soon over a weekend.

Then, season two.....ugh.

Now I don't have HBO, so I don't know if what I'm missing with season three is more like season one, or season two.

Yeah, there’s no doubt that season one of TD was one of the greatest pieces of television, ever.

It didn’t quite deliver as far as the end of it went. Settling for something typical instead of addressing the conspiracy it spent the whole show building. 

Season 2, to me, is really pretty good. I didn’t think so when I was watching it initially, but once I could  watch it all at once, I could appreciate it’s worth. It has what I consider to be a strong ending. 

Season 3 is like somebody doing a cover version of season 1. It has lots of similar things going on, but the story just isn’t as engaging and it’s more frustrating in the way that it’s structured to deliberately keep the audience off balance.

I find that the major difference between season 1 and 3 is this: in season 1 I watched it because I was so interested that I hung on every word that was said. Season 3 I’m watching because I want to see what Nic Pizzolato is hiding from me. I’m not as engaged as I am curious.