Two or three guitarists?

How many guitarists?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kinda curious on what your opinion is on this subject. Also, who would your guitarists be?

Me? I prefer two. In terms of GNR's sound, I don't think there's much to be added with a third guitarist. Yes you can argue that AFD had overdubs and a lot of CD was written with three guitarists in mind, but I think it all can be done adequately with just two good players (Slash and Izzy did it quite well, didn't they?).

I'd love to see Fortus and BBF be the only two guitarists in the band. They could help strip down the sound while still adding a technically proficient twist to the music. It'd be cool to hear some new interpretations of the classic songs in the manner and the same goes for some CD songs without the excess.

Always imagined what it will be like to have Bucket and Slash in Guns at the same time.

I like the 3 guitarists thing, and the sound is fuller now for the band. I do feel like the classic approach was just fine for Guns, but it really also depends on the people that share the guitar duties, and how well they work together, not to mention if the specific abilities of each of them suits the concept of 3 guitars.

For example: I think live Guns didn't need more then one lead guitar player when they had Slash or when they had Bucket, but I would probably love it anyway.

Edited by Rovim

Since they're a band that always had many guitar layers on their songs, since the UYI era, I would say to keep them and give the audience a full experience.

Since getting Slash Back is totally out of question, I would say:

Robin + Bucket + Bfoot

or

Robin + Izzy + Bfoot

Here's the thing:

Getting Buckethead is totally out of the question, too. Too many people here seem to think that Bucket would come running back like a little puppy if Lord Axl and Queen Beta gave him the chance.

Buckethead left Axl because he no longer needed him. There is no way Bucket would EVER come back to GNR. He has a fanbase of his own, well before he got a call from Axl.

Buckethead is nothing at all like DJ or Bumble, two complete nobodies who had essentially nothing before GNR. Being Axl and Beta's employees is something they could never top.

That's not the case for Buckethead.

Here's the thing:

Getting Buckethead is totally out of the question, too. Too many people here seem to think that Bucket would come running back like a little puppy if Lord Axl and Queen Beta gave him the chance.

Buckethead left Axl because he no longer needed him. There is no way Bucket would EVER come back to GNR. He has a fanbase of his own, well before he got a call from Axl.

Buckethead is nothing at all like DJ or Bumble, two complete nobodies who had essentially nothing before GNR. Being Axl and Beta's employees is something they could never top.

Well, that's what you're saying, can you prove anything you just said? Unlike Slash ("not in this lifetime"), Axl never mentioned that a reunion with BH will never happen.

Here's the thing:

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Why the hell would Bucket want to come back. I can't think of a single reason. It would be like quitting your job to go stand outside a closed down store in the mistaken belief that there is still work available because someone couldn't be bothered turnng off all the lights inside.

• Like 1

Why the hell would Bucket want to come back. I can't think of a single reason. It would be like quitting your job to go stand outside a closed down store in the mistaken belief that there is still work available because someone couldn't be bothered turnng off all the lights inside.

1 reason that hasn't happened yet. Tommy quit and there would be no one to pick on him.

1 reason that hasn't happened yet. Tommy quit and there would be no one to pick on him.

1 reason it will never happen - Bucket is a recording artist. GNR is a retirement home.

• Like 2

1 reason it will never happen - Bucket is a recording artist. GNR is a retirement home.

It happened before.

Kinda curious on what your opinion is on this subject. Also, who would your guitarists be?

Me? I prefer two. In terms of GNR's sound, I don't think there's much to be added with a third guitarist. Yes you can argue that AFD had overdubs and a lot of CD was written with three guitarists in mind, but I think it all can be done adequately with just two good players (Slash and Izzy did it quite well, didn't they?).

I'd love to see Fortus and BBF be the only two guitarists in the band. They could help strip down the sound while still adding a technically proficient twist to the music. It'd be cool to hear some new interpretations of the classic songs in the manner and the same goes for some CD songs without the excess.

I agree with you.

Get rid of one guitar player and one keyboard player and go back to being a straight forward rock and roll band.

• Like 1

It happened before.

Yeah and look at how that turned out :lol:

It happened before.

Yeah and look at how that turned out :lol:

He ran away because Tommy picked on him and Merck lied to him. As far as his friends and Axl are concerned anyway, he doesn't seem to be too willing to discuss it himself. :shrugs:

Always imagined what it will be like to have Bucket and Slash in Guns at the same time.

I like the 3 guitarists thing, and the sound is fuller now for the band. I do feel like the classic approach was just fine for Guns, but it really also depends on the people that share the guitar duties, and how well they work together, not to mention if the specific abilities of each of them suits the concept of 3 guitars.

For example: I think live Guns didn't need more then one lead guitar player when they had Slash or when they had Bucket, but I would probably love it anyway.

I agree with this 100%. A three guitar lineup takes some really immaculate guitarists and honestly I don't feel like it works for Guns all that well (Assba doesn't add much to the group imo) I do appreciate the full sound, but I've always thought that the best music finds cool ways to fill in the space you're given.

Here's the thing:

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

I don't really see Bucket coming back to GNR. I watched a Josh Freese podcast (Too lazy to look it up) where he said that he believed the only reason he thought that Bucket joined GNR was because he was tired of the whole starving artist routine. Don't get me wrong, he's easily the most proficient guitarist the band has ever had, but he's too idiosyncratic to follow anyone but his own beat.

If you were talking about the entire response though, then yes Assba did have some exposure being Nikki Sixx's lackey and I guess BBF had a little bit being a shredder (Less than DJ though).

Three keyboardists.

Too many people here seem to think that Bucket would come running back like a little puppy if Lord Axl and Queen Beta gave him the chance.

No one thinks that. Use your strawman delusion, I guess.

I really wish that Dizzy or Chris would be replaced by a Jon Lord-style player. SOMETHING NOTICEABLE COUGH COUGH.

-My hatred for Pitman burns with the flame of 1000 suns-

I really wish that Dizzy or Chris would be replaced by a Jon Lord-style player. SOMETHING NOTICEABLE COUGH COUGH.

If Axl dropped one of the keyboardists, I'd rather he keep Pitman over Reed. I just think Pitman is more creative and his wobbly keyboard setup is kinda cool. Also, Pitman has a wry sense of humor, and although he sounded out-of-touch and douchey during the interview about no-new-album-because-of-downloaders, I still think he's funny. Dizzy just seems personality-less and boring.

I get though, that Pitman's essentially redundant.

I agree with you about adding a little Jon Lord-style to the band's sound. I'd love to hear a song with Hammond organ in it.

If Axl dropped one of the keyboardists, I'd rather he keep Pitman over Reed. I just think Pitman is more creative and his wobbly keyboard setup is kinda cool. Also, Pitman has a wry sense of humor, and although he sounded out-of-touch and douchey during the interview about no-new-album-because-of-downloaders, I still think he's funny. Dizzy just seems personality-less and boring.

I get though, that Pitman's essentially redundant.

I agree with you about adding a little Jon Lord-style to the band's sound. I'd love to hear a song with Hammond organ in it.

Where can I find a good example of this humor everyone speaks of?

Where can I find a good example of this humor everyone speaks of?

I can understand your resentment of him, I meant to say that in the last post. I re-read what I wrote and didn't mean to sound like I was defending him so staunchly.

GnR has a deal with Monster Energy. I thought what Pitman said in this video was funny, he was like simultaneously mocking it and half-assedly promoting it: