Robin Finck about Axl and Chinese

Universal did not want to release Chinese Democracy due to the high expectations of the Guns N' Roses album. Former Guns N' Roses Manager Azoff convinced them to release the album with tracks that have already been leaked with some weaker songs. Azoff also promised that for the release of the next album, that he would have Slash and Duff back in the band. Slash would rework all of Robin Fincks parts and Duff would add some filler parts in. The following album was to have a new name instead of Chinese Democracy II. Several names had been tossed around: "Guns N' Roses", "Reloaded", "Black-Out". Universal felt that the tracks for the follow up album would make a very strong rock record.

In the USA, both Wal-Mart and Best Buy were competing for having exclusive rights to sell the album because of it's novelty. When Wal-Mart representatives heard the tracks, they knew it was not going to sell because it was an average album and pulled out. Best Buy had been used as leverage multiple times against Wal-Mart for exclusive album deals. Best Buy was so hungry to get an big exclusive deal that they jumped at the chance even though it broke them for their Holiday advertising and had nothing to promote the album with. Universal and Azoff won big on the deal.

Azoff told Finck that he was fired, leaving Axl short a guitarist. Axl had no clue that this happened. Azoff tried to convince Axl that it made good business sense to bring in Slash. It would have helped album sales. Then Azoff told Axl that he was working on a Mega Tour with Van Halen and to make things work They wanted Slash in Guns N' Roses. Axl said he might be open to it, if the tour can be worked out. The tour never materialized, Axl went on a search for another guitarist. Azoff and Universal were not happy with it. Axl along with other management brought in Ashba and set new tour dates with the intention of releasing Chinese Democracy II in the near future.

Is there any actual proof of this? Or is it just a theory?

You already know the answer to that.

Awesome interview.

What strikes me is how Axl approached all this. This was being treated as the second coming of Jesus... The effort and luxury lavished onto the recording of ChiDem is phenomenal.

Even more phenomenal is just how utterly mediocre the album turned out to be.

And then you have countless other bands who go into the studio for a few weeks and knock out albums which stomp all over ChiDem, for a fraction of the cost to produce (in terms of dollars, time, and energy).

Really fascinating stuff.

Great post. The amazing hype and anticlimatic result of CD are very interesting.

The best interview Robin has ever given anyone.

Agreed.

Shows the crazy 11 year odyssey he spent in Guns N' Roses. From jamming with Axl, Duff, Matt & Tobias in 1997 to 2008 when the album finally dropped.

Now that's a book I'd love to read.

• Like 2

Very interesting interview. Since we almost never hear from Robin it's cool to get some details, although I'm sure we all wish he would have gone even more in-depth on the Chinese backstory. Kind of fascinating how both Axl and Trent have these odd complex ways of creating songs, where the lead guitar players seem to have little input on the finished product.

Never was a huge fan of Robin but I'd be interested to check out his solo album.

The best interview Robin has ever given anyone.

Agreed.

Shows the crazy 11 year odyssey he spent in Guns N' Roses. From jamming with Axl, Duff, Matt & Tobias in 1997 to 2008 when the album finally dropped.

Now that's a book I'd love to read.

Hell yeah, he HAS to write a book about that .. or tell the story in the songs of his solorecord. :lol:

Very nice interview. I wish Robin was still in the band, too.

Those of us with taste and ears agree.

The more accurate statement would be those with taste and ears similar to yours would agree.

Not that I would if Robin was in the band, but appreciation of his playing is subjective.

Ali

The more accurate statement would be those with taste and ears similar to yours would agree.

Not that I would if Robin was in the band, but appreciation of his playing is subjective.

Ali

Love ya Ali, but shuddap.

Sure wish that band would have released more albums. I think having Robin and Bucket would have really pushed Axl to create some really exciting and special music.

I like the current band, but in terms of influencing a band's sound or a singer's song writing ability......Bucket/Finck offer a much different sound and vibe than DJ/BBF do.

• Like 1

Sure wish that band would have released more albums. I think having Robin and Bucket would have really pushed Axl to create some really exciting and special music.

I like the current band, but in terms of influencing a band's sound or a singer's song writing ability......Bucket/Finck offer a much different sound and vibe than DJ/BBF do.

The dynamic between Finck & Bucket on tracks like TWAT, Better, IRS & Chinese is pure magic IMO. The fact that whatever work they put in for the next album will most likely be replaced by whatever DJ pastes over it is a damn shame. I hope Axl has an emotional connection to at least some of it and keeps it for the next record.

• Like 1

Universal did not want to release Chinese Democracy due to the high expectations of the Guns N' Roses album. Former Guns N' Roses Manager Azoff convinced them to release the album with tracks that have already been leaked with some weaker songs. Azoff also promised that for the release of the next album, that he would have Slash and Duff back in the band. Slash would rework all of Robin Fincks parts and Duff would add some filler parts in. The following album was to have a new name instead of Chinese Democracy II. Several names had been tossed around: "Guns N' Roses", "Reloaded", "Black-Out". Universal felt that the tracks for the follow up album would make a very strong rock record.

In the USA, both Wal-Mart and Best Buy were competing for having exclusive rights to sell the album because of it's novelty. When Wal-Mart representatives heard the tracks, they knew it was not going to sell because it was an average album and pulled out. Best Buy had been used as leverage multiple times against Wal-Mart for exclusive album deals. Best Buy was so hungry to get an big exclusive deal that they jumped at the chance even though it broke them for their Holiday advertising and had nothing to promote the album with. Universal and Azoff won big on the deal.

Azoff told Finck that he was fired, leaving Axl short a guitarist. Axl had no clue that this happened. Azoff tried to convince Axl that it made good business sense to bring in Slash. It would have helped album sales. Then Azoff told Axl that he was working on a Mega Tour with Van Halen and to make things work They wanted Slash in Guns N' Roses. Axl said he might be open to it, if the tour can be worked out. The tour never materialized, Axl went on a search for another guitarist. Azoff and Universal were not happy with it. Axl along with other management brought in Ashba and set new tour dates with the intention of releasing Chinese Democracy II in the near future.

This is the most far fetched tripe I've read in months. Again, how can Azoff fire anybody from an entity that's not his? How could Axl "have no clue" somebody was legally dismissed from a business venture he solely owns? And even if by some chance he didn't, none of the nu guys caught wind of it? Nobody gave Axl a ring? C'mon.

Sounds like an MSL post 2011 butt fucking story, where he makes everyone in Axl's world the venomous scary monsters; and pwoor widdle Waxl the battered wife victim. :jerkoff:

I'd love to eventually hear more of the material that Robin and co. recorded all those years. A box set would be fantastic. Problem is, beyond the die-hard fans, I'm not sure it would have a lot of appeal to general listeners - especially since ChiDem didn't take the world by storm. That's probably why nothing's been put out so far, but who knows.

I'd love to eventually hear more of the material that Robin and co. recorded all those years. A box set would be fantastic. Problem is, beyond the die-hard fans, I'm not sure it would have a lot of appeal to general listeners - especially since ChiDem didn't take the world by storm. That's probably why nothing's been put out so far, but who knows.

Meh. At this point...It's a classic rock band, and Axl Rose is almost 52 years old. Release the next album for the fans and tour the hits. :shrugs:

• Like 1

Link to all of this please?

Where did you copy this from, and what are the sources for so many crazy claims?

Ali

This may be the first time I've ever agreed with you on anything.

Robin left the week after Azoff came on board, maybe it had something to do with Azoff's reunion plan.

The NIN "farewell tour" came up and Janes Addiction had the original members, NIN as a support act and having a no frills setup kicked ass.

We don't know if Robin had a legal obligation to go back, or it was because he felt he owed Trent to take part in it. It's good that Trent and Robin are in a more clearheaded frame of mind these days to work together.

Robin initially started working with Trent again to record The Slip and then did the Lights In The Sky tour. The Wave Goodbye tour came a year later.

By the way, they were co-headlining with Janes Addiction. Street Sweeper Social Club were the opening act. And that was only one leg of the overall tour (NIN/JA).

So what do you think a Robin solo album will sound like? More of a NIN thing, or more of like hard rock/classic rock/bluesy thing?

Or maybe it will be somewhere in the middle, kinda like Better. Can't wait to hear Robin sing on a full album.

That's cool that a nobody like you knows all this information.