Robin Finck about Axl and Chinese

So what do you think a Robin solo album will sound like? More of a NIN thing, or more of like hard rock/classic rock/bluesy thing?

Or maybe it will be somewhere in the middle, kinda like Better. Can't wait to hear Robin sing on a full album.

I think It'd sound pretty crazy and alternative like the John Frusciante solo albums...

Universal did not want to release Chinese Democracy due to the high expectations of the Guns N' Roses album. Former Guns N' Roses Manager Azoff convinced them to release the album with tracks that have already been leaked with some weaker songs. Azoff also promised that for the release of the next album, that he would have Slash and Duff back in the band. Slash would rework all of Robin Fincks parts and Duff would add some filler parts in. The following album was to have a new name instead of Chinese Democracy II. Several names had been tossed around: "Guns N' Roses", "Reloaded", "Black-Out". Universal felt that the tracks for the follow up album would make a very strong rock record.

In the USA, both Wal-Mart and Best Buy were competing for having exclusive rights to sell the album because of it's novelty. When Wal-Mart representatives heard the tracks, they knew it was not going to sell because it was an average album and pulled out. Best Buy had been used as leverage multiple times against Wal-Mart for exclusive album deals. Best Buy was so hungry to get an big exclusive deal that they jumped at the chance even though it broke them for their Holiday advertising and had nothing to promote the album with. Universal and Azoff won big on the deal.

Azoff told Finck that he was fired, leaving Axl short a guitarist. Axl had no clue that this happened. Azoff tried to convince Axl that it made good business sense to bring in Slash. It would have helped album sales. Then Azoff told Axl that he was working on a Mega Tour with Van Halen and to make things work They wanted Slash in Guns N' Roses. Axl said he might be open to it, if the tour can be worked out. The tour never materialized, Axl went on a search for another guitarist. Azoff and Universal were not happy with it. Axl along with other management brought in Ashba and set new tour dates with the intention of releasing Chinese Democracy II in the near future.

Link to all of this please?

Where did you copy this from, and what are the sources for so many crazy claims?

Pro tip: To search for exact phrases in google, put quotes around the phrase.

Although to be fair, just so you don't accuse me of being sarcastic, negativity, insulting, or worshipping (becuase I just want to discuss Guns n Roses, Groghan, I really do), those paragraphs were apparently taken from a rumor that was being bandied about on gnr messageboards a few years back. The original thread which is repeatedly referenced has been taken down: http://www.chinesedemocracyforum.com/index.php?topic=2517.0

So the person who originally wrote that is unknown (although to be fair, I only googled itfor a minute). Who knows though, could be someone credible. Ya never know. ; )

Here are other threads from well known gnr boards (including this one) which discussed the rumor back in the day:

http://www.newgnr.com/forum/index.php?topic=48304.0

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=8334&p=19

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/164652-a-rumor-i-found/

http://www.gunsnfnroses.com/index.php?/topic/110-official-chinese-democracy-2-rumor-thread/

Edited by metaforcesaber

Axl has mentioned parts of that but not tied up in such a nice package with a bow.

Axl claims Azzof tried to orchestrate a reunion type tour and has said he felt CD was a double. So the bare bones of it are there.

You can see the thinking. We saved everyones ass with the BB deal, now let's make even more money off a huge tour with Slash and VH.

He's someone that I liked a lot, he brought a lot to GN'R, especially having a big part to play in the overall vibe of Chinese Democracy. I wish he was still around.

Great read. He really did bring so much to the band. Without his vision and style of playing I don't think Chinese Democracy would have been nearly as big as it was. I was pissed the most about him being excluded from the Rock Hall induction. I wouldn't be surprised if his being snubbed from the legacy didn't play a major reason in Axl's refusal to attend.

Universal did not want to release Chinese Democracy due to the high expectations of the Guns N' Roses album. Former Guns N' Roses Manager Azoff convinced them to release the album with tracks that have already been leaked with some weaker songs. Azoff also promised that for the release of the next album, that he would have Slash and Duff back in the band. Slash would rework all of Robin Fincks parts and Duff would add some filler parts in. The following album was to have a new name instead of Chinese Democracy II. Several names had been tossed around: "Guns N' Roses", "Reloaded", "Black-Out". Universal felt that the tracks for the follow up album would make a very strong rock record.

In the USA, both Wal-Mart and Best Buy were competing for having exclusive rights to sell the album because of it's novelty. When Wal-Mart representatives heard the tracks, they knew it was not going to sell because it was an average album and pulled out. Best Buy had been used as leverage multiple times against Wal-Mart for exclusive album deals. Best Buy was so hungry to get an big exclusive deal that they jumped at the chance even though it broke them for their Holiday advertising and had nothing to promote the album with. Universal and Azoff won big on the deal.

Azoff told Finck that he was fired, leaving Axl short a guitarist. Axl had no clue that this happened. Azoff tried to convince Axl that it made good business sense to bring in Slash. It would have helped album sales. Then Azoff told Axl that he was working on a Mega Tour with Van Halen and to make things work They wanted Slash in Guns N' Roses. Axl said he might be open to it, if the tour can be worked out. The tour never materialized, Axl went on a search for another guitarist. Azoff and Universal were not happy with it. Axl along with other management brought in Ashba and set new tour dates with the intention of releasing Chinese Democracy II in the near future.

Link to all of this please?

Where did you copy this from, and what are the sources for so many crazy claims?

Never happened, all fallacies and lies.

Axl wanted Slash to play on a few songs on CD?

But Slash rejected the idea. I don't really see Slash going back to be a bit part player just for a tour in Axl's band even for the money and VH. Who knows though, Azoff thought he could do it but failed.

The best interview Robin has ever given anyone.

Agreed.

Shows the crazy 11 year odyssey he spent in Guns N' Roses. From jamming with Axl, Duff, Matt & Tobias in 1997 to 2008 when the album finally dropped.

Now that's a book I'd love to read.

So technically, Duff & Matt were part of the newGNR or Robin part of the oldGNR? :P

I found this old article from Blabbermouth.

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash has commented on the countersuit filed by his former GN'R bandmate, Axl Rose, against the singer's former manager, Irving Azoff, claiming that Azoff tried to bully Rose into doing a reunion tour with the original GUNS lineup.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Rose claims in his suit that Azoff did everything he could to sabotage the current version of GUNS after Rose said no to the reunion idea last year, alleging that Azoff tried "devising and implementing a secret plan to set up Rose and the band for failure so that Rose would have no choice but to reunite with the original GUNS N' ROSES members."

Rose's suit adds, "Upon realizing that he couldn't bully Rose and accomplish his scheme, Azoff resigned and abandoned GUNS N' ROSES on the eve of a major tour, filing suit for commissions he didn't earn and had no right to receive."

The claim also added that Azoff, in his own lawsuit, deliberately used Rose's real name, William Bailey, because it "carries significant emotional damage from Rose's childhood."

Speaking to VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner, Slash stated about Rose's countersuit, "I don't even know what that's about. I don't know where Axl is coming from. I mean, I know where Irving is coming from — he's looking for commissions for a tour that he booked. [it's a] pretty reasonable kind of thing. Axl's countersuing, so I'm not sure exactly what the merit is that he's countersuing, exactly. Anyways, I don't keep up with that, I don't follow it."

Rose is suing Azoff for at least $5 million, claiming breach of fiduciary duty, constructive fraud and breach of contract.

Azoff issued a statement in which he said, "On advice of counsel I cannot respond at this time, but will discuss in my upcoming book, 'My Life with William Bill Bailey'."

Rose was sued in March for nearly $2 million in unpaid commissions by Azoff's Frontline Management.

Azoff, considered one of the most powerful men in music, has managed the careers of artists such as the EAGLES and VAN HALEN, and at one point handled the affairs of Slash and two more of Rose's former GUNS bandmates in VELVET REVOLVER.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-comments-on-axl-rose-s-lawsuit-against-former-manager/#bqLDt377cmBfTD9l.99

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash has commented on the countersuit filed by his former GN'R bandmate, Axl Rose, against the singer's former manager, Irving Azoff, claiming that Azoff tried to bully Rose into doing a reunion tour with the original GUNS lineup.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Rose claims in his suit that Azoff did everything he could to sabotage the current version of GUNS after Rose said no to the reunion idea last year, alleging that Azoff tried "devising and implementing a secret plan to set up Rose and the band for failure so that Rose would have no choice but to reunite with the original GUNS N' ROSES members."

Rose's suit adds, "Upon realizing that he couldn't bully Rose and accomplish his scheme, Azoff resigned and abandoned GUNS N' ROSES on the eve of a major tour, filing suit for commissions he didn't earn and had no right to receive."

The claim also added that Azoff, in his own lawsuit, deliberately used Rose's real name, William Bailey, because it "carries significant emotional damage from Rose's childhood."

Speaking to VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner, Slash stated about Rose's countersuit, "I don't even know what that's about. I don't know where Axl is coming from. I mean, I know where Irving is coming from — he's looking for commissions for a tour that he booked. [it's a] pretty reasonable kind of thing. Axl's countersuing, so I'm not sure exactly what the merit is that he's countersuing, exactly. Anyways, I don't keep up with that, I don't follow it."

Rose is suing Azoff for at least $5 million, claiming breach of fiduciary duty, constructive fraud and breach of contract.

Azoff issued a statement in which he said, "On advice of counsel I cannot respond at this time, but will discuss in my upcoming book, 'My Life with William Bill Bailey'."

Rose was sued in March for nearly $2 million in unpaid commissions by Azoff's Frontline Management.

Azoff, considered one of the most powerful men in music, has managed the careers of artists such as the EAGLES and VAN HALEN, and at one point handled the affairs of Slash and two more of Rose's former GUNS bandmates in VELVET REVOLVER.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-comments-on-axl-rose-s-lawsuit-against-former-manager/#bqLDt377cmBfTD9l.99

:blink:

Isn't that just a Slash response? "I'm not following that because it's none of my business I just know enough to know Axl's wrong".

Well, if it is true, his job is to manage GNR and do what's best for the band. Managing Axl =/= doing what's best and most profitable for GNR. It sounds like the other side of the Goldstein coin.

Any manager with half of a brain knows that the biggest payday and the best path to getting GNR into the realm Axl wants it would be for real GNR to be touring.

Well, if it is true, his job is to manage GNR and do what's best for the band. Managing Axl =/= doing what's best and most profitable for GNR. It sounds like the other side of the Goldstein coin.

Any manager with half of a brain knows that the biggest payday and the best path to getting GNR into the realm Axl wants it would be for real GNR to be touring.

It's what the fans want. It all makes a lot sense really. I'm ok with the current band, I'll support and probably like everything they do. But the general public wants Slash, probably Duff as well.

I can see how Axl wouldn't want Slash back right after CD got released. But If Slash were playing those solos live, CD would probably been more successful. It's the smart business move. Which according to Volcano, Axl was considering it. But for some reason that VH tour fell through. Does anyone have any idea why?

If these rumors are true, then that means Axl released all the leaks, with a few "lesser" songs knowing the next album is the good one. Maybe that's why they haven't recorded anything, they have killer stuff ready to go. That would also explain BBF trying his damndest to get a writing credit on the album, cause he knows its good.

But of course I'm just speculating here, only a select few know the answers to all of this.

Rock fans all over the world would go APESHIT if Slash was back in GNR (or even just Duff would be big) no doubt- a reunion would make everyone involved a fuckload of money and it's what 98% of the punters want to see.

So who could blame Azoff for trying to get a reunion to happen?

If Axl is so desperate to retain his dignity/keep artistic integrity or whatever by not going back there he should have dropped the GNR name because the reunion thing/shadow of the classic band is never going away.

For good reason.

With Bucket and Robin gone, we have GNR:wine bar edition...they play 90% classic material and have some poser in a top hat on guitar-what idiot wouldn't think getting the classic band back would be the best thing?

Only in GNR world is a manager a bad guy for doing his job...probably why the nanny and her son run the band now.

edit: NICE interview, actual content!

Edited by DR DOOM
  • Like 1