It would seem GnR is still able to tour successfully, despite some claims to the contrary. So why are concert-goers attending a GnR show in 2014?

You've no doubt seen the oft-repeated proclamations of doom and gloom about GnR's tours on this board:

"GnR's concert numbers are dwindling."

"They are playing to increasingly smaller and smaller crowds in increasingly smaller venues."

"This show, that show will be canceled. The tour will be canceled."

Clearly some people are misinformed, right? Because as some other people also like to point out, GnR just keeps on touring and touring. How can they keep on touring if the numbers are dwindling? It vexes me.

So why are concert-goers attending a GnR show in 2014? Let's hear it.

Edited by metaforcesaber

Nobody's misimnformed. Playing in Argentina doesn't really count, they'd buy the ticket to see "Guns N Roses" even if Axl wasn't there.

And festivals don't count either, they may be one of the head linning bands, but that's because most of the people don't even know that

Slash's out of GN'R or just go to see other bands. I haven't heard about "GN'R" playing the Forum or MSG for a loooooooooong time,

and that's an obligatory stop for every big band that tours.

Playing in Argentina doesn't really count, they'd buy the ticket to see "Guns N Roses" even if Axl wasn't there.

And festivals don't count either, they may be one of the head linning bands, but that's because most of the people don't even know that

Slash's out of GN'R or just go to see other bands. I haven't heard about "GN'R" playing the Forum or MSG for a loooooooooong time,

really? :lol:

by the way you mean this place?

missing shacklers live so much! :(

Playing in Argentina doesn't really count, they'd buy the ticket to see "Guns N Roses" even if Axl wasn't there.

I see. May I say, it just seems like you're making excuses. But hey, maybe the name really is that powerful, maybe people aren't aware Slash isn't in the band, maybe pointing out MSG and The Forum really do pertain to the premise of the topic about successful touring. Juuuust maybe. :monkey:

Guns N Roses wouldn't be touring SA in 2014 if something BIG wasn't planned. My guess is we'll probably be getting a new single a couple weeks before the tour. After they complete all the SA dates, I wouldn't be surprised if additional SA dates weren't added or if the same venues were played twice just to build up hype before they drop the new album mid year in Brazil.

Edited by ABBA

Guns N Roses wouldn't be touring SA in 2014 if something BIG wasn't planned. My guess is we'll probably be getting a new single a couple weeks before the tour. After they complete all the SA dates, I wouldn't be surprised if additional SA dates weren't added or if the same venues were played twice just to build up hype before they drop the new album mid year in Brazil.

While I hope you are right, I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

They are dwindling. Nobody said Axl's in the critical danger zone yet, but the numbers are dwindling.

Attendance has clearly dropped. It's indisputable. They very seldom sell out anymore since late 2011. And obviously everyone knows mostly all established acts do well in Brazil and shit,

But let's at least wait till Axl plays some shows before either "side" gloats.

While I hope you are right, I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

I don't see believing it will happen as setting yourself up for disappointment. There has been a lot of speculation about the new album coming out in 2014 and several band members have alluded to this being a reality.

I don't think we will get conformation until right beforehand. Axl will ensure that there is not another issue like with Chinese Democracy where the promotion is half assed and being pushed by a shady manager. Ever since the SA dates were announced, I've had this feeling that Axl has already negotiated a deal with the label, and right before the tour, the promotional ball will start rolling. Drop single. Tour SA. Add additional dates or 2nd shows at the same venue. Drop the album mid-way through the South American tour. Just my opinion, but I bet it's something relatively close to this.

If a new album wasn't on the way, there wouldn't be any other reason to do this tour. Seems simple enough to me.

There has been a lot of speculation about the new album coming out in 2014 and several band members have alluded to this being a reality.

If a new album wasn't on the way, there wouldn't be any other reason to do this tour. Seems simple enough to me.

You could say the same thing about the tours back in 2001/2002 through 2006. And during that time band members - including Axl - alluded to an album coming out since 1999 and yet it took until 2008 for it to actually come out.

Unfortunately the reality of the situation is you just can't take GNR's word for anything at this point. Seeing is believing, and believe me I would love to see it happen

Edited by WhazUp

They are dwindling. Nobody said Axl's in the critical danger zone yet, but the numbers are dwindling.

Attendance has clearly dropped. It's indisputable. They very seldom sell out anymore since late 2011. And obviously everyone knows mostly all established acts do well in Brazil and shit,

But let's at least wait till Axl plays some shows before either "side" gloats.

It's not a matter of if, just when and how.

Once someone went to see this band, maybe with some doubts, but then enjoyed it maybe it's not so much of an issue. If you were old enough to see original band then maybe you shouldn't care about a band that much. 20 somethings have no reason to be loyal to a band they never saw.