It would seem GnR is still able to tour successfully, despite some claims to the contrary. So why are concert-goers attending a GnR show in 2014?

The current GNR line-up are a relatively popular act, that's something people need to come to terms with.

Of course they are. They play classic songs like SCOM, NR, PC... The problem is that we were promised a whole different scenario, an "evolution" of the sound, a trilogy of albums. The frustration is something the Pro-Axl fans need to come to terms with.

The current GNR line-up are a relatively popular act, that's something people need to come to terms with.

Of course they are. They play classic songs like SCOM, NR, PC... The problem is that we were promised a whole different scenario, an "evolution" of the sound, a trilogy of albums. The frustration is something the Pro-Axl fans need to come to terms with.

Those were bold statements by Axl, I agree.

Chinese was an evolution in sound. It's an extremely complicated effort for a notoriously mainstream band. To many Dj indicates GNR reverting to a more traditional style, but let's not jump to conclusions. Wait for the next record before you judge what GNR has become.

They sold out the forum in 2011 and MSG in 2006

Yeah, I was at that MSG show in 2006 and it suckked in comparison to the hammerstein shows earlier in the year. That was also the last GnR show I've been to and I probably won't go to another until they either release a new album or drastically change up the set list. But I really have no interest in seeing a half dozen covers and another half dozen band jams/solo spots.

Guns N Roses wouldn't be touring SA in 2014 if something BIG wasn't planned. My guess is we'll probably be getting a new single a couple weeks before the tour. After they complete all the SA dates, I wouldn't be surprised if additional SA dates weren't added or if the same venues were played twice just to build up hype before they drop the new album mid year in Brazil.

Keep the faith....lmao.....keep the faith

Wait for the next record before you judge what GNR has become.

Dude, stop. WTF? :lol:

But dude, how can you say that the GNR sound has stopped evolving?

We haven't heard anything yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you actually dig what Dj did to Better?

Guns N Roses wouldn't be touring SA in 2014 if something BIG wasn't planned. My guess is we'll probably be getting a new single a couple weeks before the tour. After they complete all the SA dates, I wouldn't be surprised if additional SA dates weren't added or if the same venues were played twice just to build up hype before they drop the new album mid year in Brazil.

Keep the faith....lmao.....keep the faith

Playing same city twice, with the same setlist sounds good for GNR ;) But new music? LOL

Wait for the next record before you judge what GNR has become.

Dude, stop. WTF? :lol:

But dude, how can you say that the GNR sound has stopped evolving?

We haven't heard anything yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you actually dig what Dj did to Better?

You're not supposed to remember that I've said one or two nice things about DJ. :lol: Yeah, though, I didn't mind what he did with Better.

But "we haven't heard anything yet" is exactly right. That's kind of the problem, no? And that's been the problem for a long time. So when I said "stop," I'm not talking about evolution because, you're right, it's hard to say whether a species has stopped evolving until either the evolved species emerges or the unevolved species dies, but it's kind of ridiculous to so casually ask people to wait to make judgments until the next album when there is no indication that there is going to be a next album.

'Relative' is the key word there. Relative to what? Wasp and Dokkon reunions?

Don't be pedantic. They're not the joke many would like them to be, and they're not the gods others would claim they are.

• Like 2

Nostalgia greatest hits crowd make up the numbers these days. Just like a Lynyrd Skynyrd crowd.

No doubt. But I think at the same time many people underestimate the love for certain Chinese songs.

The only reason I can think of for attending a GnR gig in 2014 is a mixture of low standards and not knowing any other bands. Maybe a pinch of blind adoration.

I've skipped the 2012 "Same shit, different day" tour and I'll certainly do the same in 2014 if given the choice.

• Like 1

The only reason I can think of for attending a GnR gig in 2014 is a mixture of low standards and not knowing any other bands.

Maybe people just like GNR?

because seeing Axl in the flesh on stage and shrieking 'DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU AREEEEEEEEEE!!!??' is like taking that first hit of exctasy all over again.

Closest I've got to that feeling with another band in recent times has been hearing M. Shadows scream "SHEPHERD OF FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRE" when seeing Avenged Sevenfold. That is a great opener.

The only reason I can think of for attending a GnR gig in 2014 is a mixture of low standards and not knowing any other bands.

While I have been impressed with some bands/artists I got see for the first time last year (Springsteen, Kanye, AiC), none of them gave me those chills down my spine like seeing Axl in 2010. He was a fucking beast that year. I'm sure it wasn't as great as it was back in the day, but they were still damn fine shows. 2012, I think the only time I really got anything close to that feeling was Atlantic City, the rest of the shows he varied from OK to pretty good, but nothing like the religious experience like seeing him in 2010. At times I think it's just looking back with rose-tinted glasses, but when I see videos on YouTube on 2010, I'm reminded of how awesome he was, which depresses me slightly given his current performance. But I still have a little bit of hope that he gets close to that standard again this year, just not enough to book flights to Argentina, etc.

because seeing Axl in the flesh on stage and shrieking 'DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU AREEEEEEEEEE!!!??' is like taking that first hit of exctasy all over again.

Closest I've got to that feeling with another band in recent times has been hearing M. Shadows scream "SHEPHERD OF FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRE" when seeing Avenged Sevenfold. That is a great opener.

While I have been impressed with some bands/artists I got see for the first time last year (Springsteen, Kanye, AiC), none of them gave me those chills down my spine like seeing Axl in 2010. He was a fucking beast that year. I'm sure it wasn't as great as it was back in the day, but they were still damn fine shows. 2012, I think the only time I really got anything close to that feeling was Atlantic City, the rest of the shows he varied from OK to pretty good, but nothing like the religious experience like seeing him in 2010. At times I think it's just looking back with rose-tinted glasses, but when I see videos on YouTube on 2010, I'm reminded of how awesome he was, which depresses me slightly given his current performance. But I still have a little bit of hope that he gets close to that standard again this year, just not enough to book flights to Argentina, etc.

I had this exact feeling in 2006 and felt it was much less good in 2010. Which is why I skipped 2012. And of top of the decline in quality, there's also the same shit different day thing which bums me out.

I had this exact feeling in 2006 and felt it was much less good in 2010. Which is why I skipped 2012. And of top of the decline in quality, there's also the same shit different day thing which bums me out.

I'm glad I went to the 2012 shows that I did, but there's none that I regret not going to, apart from Dublin, since TWAT got played that night.

Atlantic City was a good performance, my first time hearing Axl sing Civil War and Estranged live.

Glasgow, good crowd, Axl's voice was OK but not great, got to meet Axl.

London shows, getting to see Izzy was great, but they were a huge step down from the 2010 shows, and he came on an hour later than in 2010.

Serbia, GNR at EXIT was a dream come true, great crowd, though it's sad that attendance was half what it was the previous and following year, and a big part of that was lack of interest in GNR :/

I couldn't watch the same setlist again, though. If there was a guarantee there'll be new songs on this SA tour and that Axl would kick ass, then I'd have booked flights already.

Well, Dallas seems to have a huge GNR fan base. The two shows I saw were pretty much sold out!

Axl Rose is still a big draw to GNR fans and getting a 3 hour show for the money is worth it. The band is great and Axl always seems to be having a fun time with them.

I've enjoyed the 3 GNR shows I've seen so far and I would go to as many as I can in the future.

Thing is, people are more strapped for cash these days and there are plenty of other bands in town. So it is just a case of weighing up, the exact same show I have seen on multiple occasions by a singer who cannot sing anymore and a band I basically do not care about, or somebody who puts out albums and changes their setlist around a bit - or someone you might not have seen. A lot of people are not just mental gnr fans but like a lot of different bands. Fuck it, £60 to see Axl's hacks: I can go and see an England test match.

These are the options people weigh up.

I honestly do not know why people splurge cash on the same shit. I mean even if you are a billionaire, there is probably someone better in town on the same night. Go and see them.

And you are sort of, feeding the cack. If Axl saw his ticket sales dry up he might get the hint that we want an album. But so long as you people are always going to pay your money to see the same shite, Team Brazil will have another tour planned to rob you of your money. And the cycle continues....

Recommendation to the OP: in an effort to not mislead people into thinking that Axl still has the ability to tour successfully anywhere, it would be much more honest and accurate if you were to throw the words 'South America' somewhere in the thread title.

ctonL-02-oh-no.gif