What's the main reason GNR isn't as popluar as it was 20yrs ago?

I'm listening to AFD right now, after a long time of not listening.

It's still better than almost anything I've ever heard, from my favorite classical music to New Wave to 90s rock to Muse.

So, what's the main reason GNR is essentially a non-entity in today's music world?

I got to thinking about Robin Finck's interview, where he details the insane amount of time and effort expended on ChiDem. And what label WOULDN'T lavish that kind of attention on a GNR album? Going by GNR's history, you're essentially guaranteed a legendary album.

That, of course, didn't happen. ChiDem was a mouse fart compared to the earthquakes of AFD and UYI.

So, what's the cause? Was it because Slash sabotaged it? Or perhaps "the label" was out ta get Axl? Or maybe Stephanie sabotaged GNR? Or maybe Beta didn't light enough candles or bake enough cakes for the band?

I use Spotify premium for listening to music. Here's the landing page for GNR:

ScreenShot2014-01-18at13619AM.png

Why isn't Robin Finck on the artist pic? What about Buckethead? Or DJ? Or Bumble? Or Paul Huge? Or Frank? Surely the artist pic for GNR should include Tommy---he's been in the band longer than anyone except Dizzy and Axl! And speaking of that, why isn't Dizzy in the pic?

And why are the top tracks for GNR exclusively the "old lineup?" Where's TWAT, which apparently has the greatest wankery solo of all time? Where's ITW, which is supposedly better than any James Bond soundtrack?

Why does the rest of humanity essentially ignore anything nuGNR? What happened?

If they aren't, I would say it's because they split up and didn't put the work in U2, Metallica, ACDC have over those 20 years. By the late 90s all these bands kind of done creatively, staggering from one record to the next, but they kept the fans happy, or they tried. GNR broke up in 94?

You could say that U2, Metallica wasting their time and the old GNR band are still as big as them? It's a more fucked up situation for GNR fans but still I think the support is still there as big as for Metallica or U2. With a reunion I think you'd see a GNR record sell like Black Ice and a rise of a feel good factor around the band at least until the first riot.

Edited by wasted

Guns N' Roses are primarily a band popular among young (10 - 16 year olds) and middle aged/old people. Their success was largely based on gimmick - wrestler names, riots, rants, internal drama, and so on...

The reality for most intelligent music fans who are able to look at this band objectively, is that they're, well...kind of lame.

I know that's not the type of response you were looking for, since this thread is just another one of your repetitive "Nu band sucks" shticks. But the truth is, no one cares about the current lineup of Guns N' Roses and frankly, no one cares about the old lineup either.

• Like 3

The best Guns N Roses material was released over 20 years ago. Not only did they have great music, they had really cool band members that people wanted to be.

It's harder to relate to Buckethead or Robin. NuGNR never got going they just kinda started then stopped for a long time. They missed their window as far as taking over the music world now. Music has changed a lot anyways. It's a landscape that Guns N Roses doesn't belong in

If Slash and Axl ever reunite then they will be viewed as that classic Rock band, not a musical force. It's just been a really long time and I think Axl accepts that his best musical days are done and he's accomplished more than he could have ever dreamed of. It doesn't mean he isn't capable of giving an incredible performance every tour. He's still a legend, but as far as who and what Guns N Roses will be defined as...it is the band that took over music for half a decade in the late 80's early 90's.

The songs from this time period are classics that will last the ages and be rediscovered throughout the years. Guns N Roses will be remembered for how they should be remembered, in their prime. Looking back on NuGNR it's clear they faced an impossible task if their goal was being accepted by the music world.

• Like 1

I think the labels goal was much less ambitious, maybe just a touring band to support GH, Live Era and even CD. A band only really takes over the music industry once. Bands that do that seem to run into problems. Bands that survive make compromises.

And speaking of that, why isn't Dizzy in the pic?

Clearly it's because the music consuming world wants to make a statement. They don't like the keyboards in the UYIs, so they downvote all of the band photos with him included. No way it's just a matter of that particular picture being their most famous and iconic. It's a statement against Dizzy's UYI parts ruining the album. :rolleyes:

And why are the top tracks for GNR exclusively the "old lineup?" Where's TWAT, which apparently has the greatest wankery solo of all time? Where's ITW, which is supposedly better than any James Bond soundtrack?

Why does the rest of humanity essentially ignore anything nuGNR? What happened?

Oh look, niceguy making up more things under the false guise that people have actually said them. No surprise here.

• Like 2

no one cares about the old lineup either.

:lol:

that's certainly why an expert in music business as irving azoff was pushing for a reunion....... and that's also why promoters are offering millions for reunion concerts...... the truth is you should stop posting crap. your hate towards the original gnr is becoming tiresome.

Edited by durruti column
  • Like 4

Because the playlist of ChiDem was/is inaccessible to majority of people. With a differently arranged playlist (same 14 songs) they might have been as popular as in the past.

Edited by Fin

it certainly didn't have an impact on the industry like appetite did, I don't think it ever intended to though.

marc canter said recently that axl wanted nugnr to be as big as the original gnr.

With a differently arranged playlist (same 14 songs) they might have been as popular as in the past.

wishful thinking Edited by durruti column
  • Like 2

it certainly didn't have an impact on the industry like appetite did, I don't think it ever intended to though.

marc canter said recently that axl wanted nugnr to be as big as the original gnr.

Sad part is, he almost got it down right. Almost.

After he lost Bucket and fucked around after 2002 for a couple of years, I think he never stood a chance.

Guns N' Roses are primarily a band popular among young (10 - 16 year olds) and middle aged/old people. Their success was largely based on gimmick - wrestler names, riots, rants, internal drama, and so on...

The reality for most intelligent music fans who are able to look at this band objectively, is that they're, well...kind of lame.

I know that's not the type of response you were looking for, since this thread is just another one of your repetitive "Nu band sucks" shticks. But the truth is, no one cares about the current lineup of Guns N' Roses and frankly, no one cares about the old lineup either.

Don't take this as an attack because it is not .... honestly when I read the stuff you post about GNR (old and current) I really wonder what on earth you get out of posting here never mind the fact that you are a news reporter for a band that you consider lame and which yu think nobody cares about. I know you are a Finck fan but he's long gone and his contribution to GNR is minimal so forgive me for thinking your posting here and news reporter status is a little baffling.

• Like 1

Don't take this as an attack because it is not .... honestly when I read the stuff you post about GNR (old and current) I really wonder what on earth you get out of posting here never mind the fact that you are a news reporter for a band that you consider lame and which yu think nobody cares about. I know you are a Finck fan but he's long gone and his contribution to GNR is minimal so forgive me for thinking your posting here and news reporter status is a little baffling.
:lol: News reporter.

"NINcompoop that does exactly the opposite of any credible news reporter" would be a far more fitting title. I wonder if they could fit that under his name and turn it pink to show what a hooray for tolerance! he is?

• Like 1

I do not take it as an attack at all (unlike Damn_Smooth's unsurprisingly immature, off topic and unintelligent response), and can see how one would think that.

I would like to point out though, that in my post I wasn't expressing my personal opinion on the band. I was just trying to give people a sense of what those outside of these forums and youtube comments think.

I've seen the band 6 times, consider Chinese Democracy one of my absolute favorite albums of all time, have an appreciation for several of the musicians who have been a part of the band over the years, and consider GNR one of my all time favorite bands - if not my absolute favorite. My interest in the group goes beyond simply being a fan of Robin Finck.

I may not share many (often, any) views/opinions as most fans, but I am a fan of the band. I can assure you of that.

(unlike Damn_Smooth's unsurprisingly immature, off topic and unintelligent response)

Yet somehow far more mature and intelligent than trying and failing to pose as some sort of fan when posting history proves differently. I can sit here and claim to love a band like Nine Inch Nails all day, but I'm not stupid enough to think anybody would believe me. Why are you?

They got old. Same reason as Aerosmith, Jane's Addiction, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Ice Cube, Wu-Tang Clan, Alan Jackson, Randy Travis etc etc etc. It happens to everybody in every musical genre. You get old and you're not as popular as you were 20 years earlier when you were in your prime. Not that hard to understand and no big surprise.

• Like 1

Those wrestler names were so silly!

Now let me go back to listen to CD, featuring "Brain", "Buckethead", "Bumblefoot", "The General", "Mother Goose" and "Dizzy". What a line-up of no silly, modern, and edgy names!

Respectfully, this post is nonsense. GN'R have 6 million fans on facebook and AFD is widely regarded by, yes, "intelligent music fans" (whatever that means) as one of the greatest rock albums off all-time. I would say that they have a pretty good legacy and people still care about them.

Edited by RichardNixon

no one cares about the old lineup either.

:lol:

that's certainly why an expert in music business as irving azoff was pushing for a reunion....... and that's also why promoters are offering millions for reunion concerts...... the truth is you should stop posting crap. your hate towards the original gnr is becoming tiresome.

Expert ... Azoff lollllllll