What's the main reason GNR isn't as popluar as it was 20yrs ago?

crank while driving down the highway in their cars or sing to while partying...

So, instead of attempting to make an artistic statement, Axl should just write feel-good songs?

SOD and TWAT could´ve been the radio friendly songs to appeal to the general public,with a couple of cool videos. Those could´ve helped album sales in the U.S.

So, instead of attempting to make an artistic statement, Axl should just write feel-good songs?

SOD and TWAT could´ve been the radio friendly songs to appeal to the general public,with a couple of cool videos. Those could´ve helped album sales in the U.S.

Those songs were old before they were even released mate..If Axl had released ChiDem late 90's they would have had a chance but not in 2008 IMHO.....except maybe on a classic rock station............

• Like 1

There's no way TWAT would be a radio hit.

The chorus is clunky and has no flow and isn't the least bit memorable.

Then add the hair metal cliche cringe worthy lyrics of the bridge.

Then a 4 minute guitar solo...

No way that would be a hit.

Wasn't SOD released as a single?

Those songs were old before they were even released mate..If Axl had released ChiDem late 90's they would have had a chance but not in 2008 IMHO.....except maybe on a classic rock station............

I don´t know. Take for example Don´t Cry or KOHD. They played those long before they ended up in the UYI albums. In fact KOHD is a song that not only Dylan and GN´R played. There are other versions. So I don´t think the problem is that the songs are old or well known. It´s about using songs the right way to help the band with album sales

I don´t know. Take for example Don´t Cry or KOHD. They played those long before they ended up in the UYI albums. In fact KOHD is a song that not only Dylan and GN´R played. There are other versions. So I don´t think the problem is that the songs are old or well known. It´s about using songs the right way to help the band with album sales

You are ignoring the fact that when they played Don't Cry and KOHD they were arguably the biggest rock band and in the world, rock was still in fashion back then, MTV actually played music videos, the internet was not the way people got their music... that was not the case when ChiDem was released in 2008............JMO but if Axl had released ChiDem back before the 2001 tour and had not self destructed it would have been more successful...................

Edited by classicrawker

It's a different time. Hearing KOHD live before the UYI's were released, there was almost no way to listen to it except for the occasional shitty sounding bootleg. Now, songs and leaks are so easily accessible

By the time CD came out, the leaks had almost rendered the album moot. The songs were already old and the fanbase had already heard them ... and for me personally, I was already bored with them.

Edited by axl666axl666
  • Like 1

You are ignoring the fact that when they played Don't Cry and KOHD they were arguably the biggest rock band and in the world, rock was still in fashion back then, MTV actually played music videos, the internet was not the way people got their music... that was not the case when ChiDem was released in 2008............JMO but if Axl had released ChiDem back before the 2001 tour and had not self destructed it would have been more successful...................

And I agree with you. But then is not a matter of a song being new or old. It´s a matter of the state of the industry these days and the fact that we don´t have the original band.

Still Axl and the record company should´ve tried harder with CD in 2008 and 2009. It would´ve never sold 15 millions in the U.S. But they should´ve target to push for around 7 millions.

No matter how much promotion or how many interviews or magazine articles written, you can't force people to buy an album.

The main fact is, the people that wanted to hear the album, heard it. Whether they streamed it or heard it online or not. Then they the bought it or didn't.

Same goes with the rest of the public. If they were interested, they bought it.

There was plenty of promotion despite the inane claims that there wasn't.

It is what it is.

Nothing will change it.

There was slight interest and that's that. The time has passed. Shuffling the song order? That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard...wait, Better is now the 7th song on the album? I MUST BUY THAT!!!

Multiple songs were released to the radio and as singles and they didn't garner much interest. The public had its say.

Time to move the fuck on....hell it was time to move on in 2009, for fuck sake. It's 2014, the album was released in 2008. The time has come and long gone. It isn't all of a sudden gonna shoot up the charts and sell millions upon millions of copies.

Edited by axl666axl666

And I agree with you. But then is not a matter of a song being new or old. It´s a matter of the state of the industry these days and the fact that we don´t have the original band.

Still Axl and the record company should´ve tried harder with CD in 2008 and 2009. It would´ve never sold 15 millions in the U.S. But they should´ve target to push for around 7 millions.

I think we actually agree then as my point was the style of music was old for 2008..............ChiDem sold just over 3 million so can't seeing doubling in sales even with more promotion............

I think there are a few reasons why they're not as popular as before. It's not the same band for starter. The original band was the perfect hard rock band, they had the look, the attitude, and most importantly the music was great.

Maybe Axl thought he could reproduce the magic by assembling a band with random people. A great band has chemistry and it's not something you can provoke, it just happens. There was no chemistry with the new band, musically it didn't fit and their look didn't fit either.

When Axl came back to the spotlight in 2002 almost everybody went "Wtf is this? Is this a circus?". It's like Axl was out of his mind. I mean who in their right mind would think that this freakshow would impress sane people?

Another thing is Axl seemed to have forgotten who he is, I just don't understand why he can't realize that he sounds the best on rock songs, songs with 2 guitars, one bass. Just listen to You're Crazy live on TV in 1988 or 89, that's awesome. Him singning on 1000 layers of shit and synth is not awesome, it's just cringeworthy. I don't get it.

As for CD, it just doesn't sound right. It's so apparent that the album was cutted and pasted, it doesn't sound organic and there are too many noises at the same time.

Now the new incarnation, they're just average, Tommy is no Duff, Ashba is no Izzy and BBF is no Slash. They're just meh...

Add to that that Axl can't sing like he used to and seems to have lost the fire.

There you have it.

It should have been out in 2002. People were excited about GNR that year, and when Axl pulled the plug, it turned a lot of fans against him. It was already a long time at that time, and he was doing the new songs, so there was an expectation around 2001-2003 that it would be out.

I do blame the record company takeover and what they did and didn't do. Just backtrack and look into the artists that had a hard time after the Interscope takeover and Iovine's history of delaying albums,and the story tells itself.

I think we actually agree then as my point was the style of music was old for 2008..............ChiDem sold just over 3 million so can't seeing doubling in sales even with more promotion............

They don´t seem to care. They could´ve used part of TWAT or other song for T.V. commercial. They could´ve made a deal with NFL and NBA to get a song ot 2 play during games for a while. I don´t know if we ever are gonna get another album from the nu band. But if they make a new album I hope they try every way available to promote it. If they want the general public to care, well first Axl must show us he cares about the album.

It's old. It's a band from 20 years ago. Is there anyone seriously disputing that as the main reason?

Excatly, when they first broke out they were new and fresh, with an edge that was in contrast to the glam rock at the time. They had the music, the sex appeal, and they seemed like genuine rockers.

Fast forward 20 years and we got a shell of what the former band was. The music is mostly a nostalgic act, which is normal for older bands. The times are changing and you can never recreate the past.