help compile a list of read-worthy books

oi,

I saved enuff money from my new job and I wanna dig into reading.

Help me plz compile a list of ;

1. official books [written by band members - like duff's, slash's and steven's

- published by the band ; photographic history

- officialy authorized ; reckless roads

2. written by family members, wives, management or angry musicians [Adler's mum said to have written one but didnt publish it / Lisa Reed says she is writing one about Dizzy and she also wrote a few fictional books with some Dizzy-mentions / Dilana said she would write a book about Tracii Guns / Craig Duswalt will publish his book about GNR in May 2014]

3. the totally best of unauthorized books worth reading - like Mick Wall's book about Axl or Wall's book "the most dangerous band in the world"

guitar tab books and cheap ass shit unauthorized books are excluded.

oi,

I saved enuff money from my new job and I wanna dig into reading.

Help me plz compile a list of ;

1. official books [written by band members - like duff's, slash's and steven's

- published by the band ; photographic history

- officialy authorized ; reckless roads

2. written by family members, wives, management or angry musicians [Adler's mum said to have written one but didnt publish it / Lisa Reed says she is writing one about Dizzy and she also wrote a few fictional books with some Dizzy-mentions / Dilana said she would write a book about Tracii Guns / Craig Duswalt will publish his book about GNR in May 2014]

3. the totally best of unauthorized books worth reading - like Mick Wall's book about Axl or Wall's book "the most dangerous band in the world"

guitar tab books and cheap ass shit unauthorized books are excluded.

Official or officially associated..

Guns N' Roses: The Photographic History by Robert John (1993)

The Language of Fear by Del James (1995)

Slash, by Slash with A. Bozza (2007)

Reckless Road: Guns N' Roses and the making of Appetite for Destruction by Marc Canter (2007)

My Appetite for Destruction, by Adler with Spagnola (2010)

It's So Easy and Other Lies by Duff McKagan (2011)

Of the unofficial ones, I have

The Days of Guns N' Roses by Danny Sugerman (1991)

The Most Dangerous Band in the World by Mick Wall (1991)

The Band that Time Forgot by Paul Stenning (2004)

W Axl Rose: the unauthorised biography by Mick Wall (2007)

Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N' Roses by Stephen Davis (2008)

Of the official ones, they are all worth getting but especially,

- Reckless Road (best book on GN'R in my opinion).

- Duff's

- Slash's

Of the unofficial ones, most of them are complete junk. These two are the best,

- Mick Wall's 1st one

It is really just a collection of, excellent, interviews. People slag it off just because of Get in the Ring - I think they assume it is a biography - but I do not think they understand that it is just interviews. It is all from the horse's mouth, Axl's, Slash's.

Watch You Bleed

It is dated and makes some huge errors because he must have written it before Reckless Road. It is a pity he did not utilise Reckless Road to correct some clangers on the early club era because if he had, this would be the best one-volume book on the old band for the totality of their career. I say old band as he does not have much time for nugnr. But on the plus side there is a lot of good interview material in this. This guy did his own original research, going through old 1986 LA newspapers etc. His heart is in the right place. Hopefully he will revise it.

Sugerman's is, interesting, but odd in a high-brow cultural antrhopology way. It is sort of a sequel to his Doors book. It was published before Illusion was released so it is naturally dated. Worth a read if you can pick it up for a pound second hand. The rest are complete garbage - especially Stenning's book which just rips off a load of internet pieces.

Edited by DieselDaisy

watch you bleed is a piece of crap

read only official ones !

I do not agree. I just think the guy makes some errors and should have looked at Reckless Road to correct some mistakes. Unless you are willing to search out copies of Los Angeles newspapers and music mags from 1985-6, there are some interviews in there that you cannot find elsewhere.

yo recommendations so far has not exceeded my expectations

That is like something a comedy German would say from 'Allo 'Allo haha.

Vicky Hamilton was discussing producing a book awhile back and Sorum has thrown the odd hint out concerning a book so the situation might improve if Craig gets his book out and Dizzy Reed's cat produces his magnum opus. No, jokes aside, I would be interested in what Vicky has to say as she was a key figure in the early days.