Does Axl have any intention whatsoever of doing anything original with the current version of Guns N Roses?

Does Axl have any intention whatsoever of doing anything original with the current version of Guns N Roses? If we hear nothing new this year I think it'll be safe to say that the answer is a resounding no.

The longer current GNR go without releasing a new album the more pointless they look as a band. In the last few years the number of Chinese songs in the setlist have decreased considerably. They've started to resemble one of those nostalgia touring bands like Thin Lizzy, who play together year in year out, with little resemblance to the original line-up and no aspirations to create new music or forge their own identity as a legitimate and credible incarnation of the band. It's looking increasingly likely that Axl is content for GNR to go down this route....

Edited by Towelie

In the last few years the number of Chinese songs in the setlist have decreased considerably.

They've started to resemble one of those nostalgia touring bands like Thin Lizzy, who play together year in year out

That's because they stopped touring Chinese in 2010. During 2011-2013 they just toured the entire GNR catalogue.

Aside from the fact that a lot of Lizzy's important members have passed way, they've actually evolved into the Black Star Riders (and just completed touring their new record).

That's because they stopped touring Chinese in 2010. During 2011-2013 they just toured the entire GNR catalogue.

Call it whatever you want, but the fact remains they've been touring the same shit for 13 years now.

And don't tell me bringing back whatever song along the way was a game changer. It wasn't. Every GnR performance for the last thirteen years has revolved around AFD and CD, with some UYI songs and some covers.

Every GnR performance for the last thirteen years has revolved around AFD and CD, with some UYI songs and some covers.

So they've done justice to the entire GNR catalogue, what's wrong with that?

They've played the big songs from every era.

Every GnR performance for the last thirteen years has revolved around AFD and CD, with some UYI songs and some covers.

13. Years.
  • Like 1

Dj said Axl has 3 albums worth of material up his sleeve. That type of situation plus that Axl is the main songwriter on CD sort of points to them not really doing anything or that much fresh. They could do new stuff but it would just go on the pile with the rest. Who knows what they'll do with this stuff.

13. Years.

After several botched attempts, they got the record out in 2008. After several botched attempts, they finally completed an elaborate tour behind Chinese Democracy in 2009-2010.

Since then, they've toured behind the entire GNR catalogue. Many bands do that during the transitional period between records.

Does Axl have any intention whatsoever of doing anything original with the current version of Guns N Roses?

It's a legitimate question. Next time Axl stops by, let's not waste any of our questions to him, and instead ask him something like this. We as fans deserve to know the answer.

Edited by metaforcesaber

13. Years.
After several botched attempts, they got the record out in 2008. After several botched attempts, they finally completed an elaborate tour behind Chinese Democracy in 2009-2010.

Since then, they've toured behind the entire GNR catalogue. Many bands do that during the transitional period between records.

So Axl is the annoying kid you used to play board games with who just does re-rolls until he gets what he likes? Sorry, but I find that unacceptable.

13. Years.

For a moment, I thought I was reading a post from MSL! :D

• Like 1

I really only think we will be lucky to get 2 more albums out of Axl, ever. I think we will get the Bucket/Finck/Tobias/Axl/Brain/Freese songs that were written in the late 90s/early 2000s with overdubs from the current guys before we get any Bumble/Ashba written tracks. Fortus is basically a touring musician with Guns so I don't think he has written anything for Guns besides overdubbing some rhythm guitar or a lick here and there. All said and done, who really knows. I'm looking forward to Guns touring again only because of the 3 new songs which I hope aren't fucking covers, UYI tracks or Chidem songs. I want them to be unheard Guns N' Roses tracks! Hopefully we see a new record this year...

13. Years.

So Axl is the annoying kid you used to play board games with who just does re-rolls until he gets what he likes? Sorry, but I find that unacceptable.

"Re-rolls" would be Axl releasing Chinese Democracy every two or three years. And playing nothing but Chinese Democracy live.

They've only just had their chance to actually roll the dice (i.e. get the record out and take their chances touring as GNR).

I see the TB propaganda is strong in you, NGOG. :lol:

I just dig GNR man. I've decided not to emotionally invest myself anymore. Because at the end of the day, it's just a band (albeit one that I love).

I'm just happy to catch them when they roll around my block and buy the record should they decide to release one.

I see the TB propaganda is strong in you, NGOG. :lol:

I just dig GNR man. I've decided not to emotionally invest myself anymore. Because at the end of the day, it's just a band (albeit one that I love).

I'm just happy to catch them when they roll around my block and buy the record should they decide to release one.

Fair enough. Just try not to blame those of us who are still stupid enough to be emotionally invested too much for being disgruntled.

• Like 2