One In A Million

Guest Len B'stard

I think the song is brilliant too, one of my favorites of the GnR catalogue...but that don't make it any less racist. I don't think he should've changed shit, stick by em...but call it what it is y'know? I don't mind anyone saying the word N*****, what i don't like or rather find mildly amusing is to go out on a limb to make a song like that and then backpedalling and kowtowing and putting across all these indignant but totally contradictory opinions on this shit.

If he'd've just said it is where i was at at a particular time in my life but i ain't there anymore and then just taken his flak like a man i'd respect him. But to then start going 'oh, i'm not a racist/homphobe but...' and the buts ranging from 'it's not ALL of them, it's some of them' and 'i don't mind the ones that come here to work and behave themselves but...' and similar shit. Those aren't exact quotes by the way but I could dig ones up where this shit is said, i'm sure you've all read them.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

I think the protagonist starts off racist, mostly as a result of their "smalltown white boy" upbringing, and goes on a journey just trying to make ends meet while not wanting to be bothered by all sorts of people.

I've got a pretty un-PC sense of humour, so I find it hard to describe why I get offended on the rare occasions that I do. I get a kick out of the "mini-Iran" lyric in One in a Million, and I'm a big fan of comedians like Patrice O'Neal, Bill Burr, Joe Rogan, Louis CK, and Doug Stanhope, who say a lot of stuff that would be considered racist and sexist by many. But I only get offended by Andrew Dice Clay, and I find it hard to express why. I think it's because Dice's stuff is so crude, with no craft to it. Like lenny says, maybe it's that I do enjoy a racist song like One in a Million, or racist jokes told by Patrice, because there is craft to them, whereas I take offence at Dice's stuff because it's crass and tasteless.

For clarification, I am not offended by the song. It is a good song. It is also a song that I only listen to at home. I'm not jamming this at busy intersections or anything or playing it on a jukebox at a bar. But what kills me are the people on here that can't wrap their tiny brains around the fact that these words are considered offensive to large segments of the population.

I wonder if the Iranians still take offence to this song. You don't hear many "fans" complaining about that.

My mum wasn't happy that I'm a fan of the song.

She likes November Rain and TIL, though. My parents were both surprised that TIL wasn't a big hit.

She was happy that Axl was nice to me when I met him, which I guess is a very "mum" thing to say.

I can see where Axl is coming from with the gas station attendant thing, though. Last year I went out to a cornershop in London at 2am to buy some tomatoes (I like cooking at odd times). The two Iranian shopkeepers were discussing in Farsi how much they should charge me, they didn't realise I could understand them :lol:

I can't really claim to be an authority on all things Iranian seeing as I'm 2nd generation, brought up in the West and all that.

I think the song is brilliant too, one of my favorites of the GnR catalogue...but that don't make it any less racist. I don't think he should've changed shit, stick by em...but call it what it is y'know? I don't mind anyone saying the word N*****, what i don't like or rather find mildly amusing is to go out on a limb to make a song like that and then backpedalling and kowtowing and putting across all these indignant but totally contradictory opinions on this shit.

If he'd've just said it is where i was at at a particular time in my life but i ain't there anymore and then just taken his flak like a man i'd respect him. But to then start going 'oh, i'm not a racist/homphobe but...' and the buts ranging from 'it's not ALL of them, it's some of them' and 'i don't mind the ones that come here to work and behave themselves but...' and similar shit. Those aren't exact quotes by the way but I could dig ones up where this shit is said, i'm sure you've all read them.

Good points Lenny.

Demo version is much better:

Yep, no less racist when sung an octave lower.

Actually it is more racist because black people have lower voices. Just like when it's sung higher it is more homophobic.

On a side note who is the bigger alcoholic? Tommy.. The original that's finally cleaned his life up or that poser Duff who is still boozing it.

Okay, I know there are racist lyrics in this song, but I still think it's a cool song.

Living and working in NY for many years, I related to the line about "N" don't need to buy your gold chains today". Everyday when I would leave work for lunch, there were always a bunch of black guys trying to sell you gold chains, so to me that line was right now.

I don't think Axl is a racist, but this song shows how intolerant some people are of different people. I mean this country was founded in immigrants. Everyone's history started in another country. And unfortunately most of the different races that came here were mistreated one time or another. It sucks, but it's the truth.

I remember in an interview, Slash said something about the song and him being half black, he didn't think using the "n" word was cool. I remember thinking, why didn't Slash say something at the time to Axl? I mean if he really felt it wasn't right then he should have opened his mouth then. I just love that after the fact, Slash criticizes the song after he's no longer in GNR.

Anyway, unfortunately, racists are a fact of life even today. I mean look at the state of the world. I don't think one song is going to matter when people are fighting and killing each other everyday because they are different.

And yet not a one of you drug Axl over the coals for the biggest and most glaring blasphemy of them all... not a single one of you "lets all hug one another and wear our rainbow colors in solidarity!!" mother fuckers said a fucking thing about:

Dont need no relgion...dont watch that much T.V.

of course not... because at the same time you decry "raciest and homophobic" you dont associate religion along side of it. OhMYGOD... did you hear what Axl said about religion....tsk tsk.... he dont need it.... hmmmmmmmmmm burn that fucken heretic at the stake for that. He expressed a seperate and distinct OPINION. totally slaughter him and his character for it as well... but moreso than the cut on Religion was his blantant attack on TV! Said he doesnt watch that much... we simply cannot have him going around here saying shit like that.. it cant stand.. sooner than later 3- 4 fans stop watching .. then 10 to 15... before you know it 25,000 anti relgion anti tv anti radical mother fuckers will think they have a right to dictate how I think or feel or even desire!

and as a radical myself.. I got all bunched up when he told me not to point my finger at him... going to call my national association of crybaby radicles and form a protest at the next GNR concert.... AXL IS ANTI RADICAL !! AXL HATES RADICALS....

I think the protagonist starts off racist, mostly as a result of their "smalltown white boy" upbringing, and goes on a journey just trying to make ends meet while not wanting to be bothered by all sorts of people.

I've got a pretty un-PC sense of humour, so I find it hard to describe why I get offended on the rare occasions that I do. I get a kick out of the "mini-Iran" lyric in One in a Million, and I'm a big fan of comedians like Patrice O'Neal, Bill Burr, Joe Rogan, Louis CK, and Doug Stanhope, who say a lot of stuff that would be considered racist and sexist by many. But I only get offended by Andrew Dice Clay, and I find it hard to express why. I think it's because Dice's stuff is so crude, with no craft to it. Like lenny says, maybe it's that I do enjoy a racist song like One in a Million, or racist jokes told by Patrice, because there is craft to them, whereas I take offence at Dice's stuff because it's crass and tasteless.

rub a dub dub threee men in a tub and who do you think they be.. the butcher the baker the candlestick maker : mother fucking fags all three?

Hickory dickory dock this bitch was blowing my cock .. the clock struck two I blew my gooo and dropped the bitch off the next block...

yeah... juvenile... i agree

Edited by rockerman

Ice T defended it Oprah as street talk. I don't think it was even at that particular time Axl was racist, as in making a point of it "I hate black people" racist. It's more in that situation, when you feel threatened getting off the bus at 3am in the LA bust station with these guys approaching him, he saw them in derogatory terms. Same explanation of the homophobic word, he was almost raped. It's from the pov of a scared, racist, bigoted mind.

I think the process would be having these things he wrote after this scary experience, then he adds the "I will overcome, I'm one in a million, going to make it out of this shithole" in the Jungle way. Then in like the same composite fashion as Catcher, he has the perspective of Indiana saying "what are you doing in the big bad city, we can't reach you, why won't you come back".

So Axl had this thing, maybe it was in this Sam Kinison context he talked about, but eventually he must see it in the cold light of day, instead of saying this is dodgy territory, Axl could possibly jumped on the freedom of speech/this is the most honest even best way to get the paranoia and racist reality of the streets. To get the true threat he faced, a threat where PC media stuff doesn't matter what anyone's called. You need a hard headed "I'm one in a million" I'm going to make it attitude to survive. It must be an anthem in the D wing of the pen.

Then pile on the cover of Lies and the shocking truth. You can't take mick out of the tabloid press then back down on being controversial.

If anyone pulled it, Geffen should have. Record sales would have said different.

I think it's racist and probably shouldn't release it as Axl had to wear a bulletproof vest on stage and got death threats and support from neo-nazis.

It's such a foreign perspective to me or most people, it's more like dark psychedelia than a political song or a racist diatribe. He's on drugs, has all these ignorant beliefs from his background in the mid west and in a very dangerous place.

I honestly think drop the N word and immigrants and haggis and maybe could still capture that. But GNR were all about street reality and honesty.

And yet not a one of you drug Axl over the coals for the biggest and most glaring blasphemy of them all... not a single one of you "lets all hug one another and wear our rainbow colors in solidarity!!" mother fuckers said a fucking thing about:

Dont need no relgion...dont watch that much T.V.

of course not... because at the same time you decry "raciest and homophobic" you dont associate religion along side of it. OhMYGOD... did you hear what Axl said about religion....tsk tsk.... he dont need it.... hmmmmmmmmmm burn that fucken heretic at the stake for that. He expressed a seperate and distinct OPINION. totally slaughter him and his character for it as well... but moreso than the cut on Religion was his blantant attack on TV! Said he doesnt watch that much... we simply cannot have him going around here saying shit like that.. it cant stand.. sooner than later 3- 4 fans stop watching .. then 10 to 15... before you know it 25,000 anti relgion anti tv anti radical mother fuckers will think they have a right to dictate how I think or feel or even desire!

and as a radical myself.. I got all bunched up when he told me not to point my finger at him... going to call my national association of crybaby radicles and form a protest at the next GNR concert.... AXL IS ANTI RADICAL !! AXL HATES RADICALS....

the N word is more offensive to all people but racists. I think there's more people with Axl on religion, especially in liberal hollywood.

I think it is just an honest expression of his views, maybe he was hoping he wasn't alone. He probably isn't as alone as he was made to feel in the media, but no one is going to admit that or even try to see the artist merit. Being the lightening pole on social issues is really a hiding to nothing. You're on much safer ground singing about booze and hookers.

After the initial shock wears off, it just joins the censorship debate.

A kid in the suburbs hears the same words on NWA and GNR, he can't really tell the difference. It's just swear word. It would be racist to censor one in a million and not NWA.

So when you think about it, it's a reflection of society. Eminent says homophobic stuff on every record. We seem to accept some using the N word.

We defend the right to freedom of speech then we cast our opinions on it. OIAM kind of highlights where we are. White people can't say that word. If they do the context has to be overt. Why then don't we censor it is kind of hypocrisy.

I'm not going to defend Axl's given choice of lyrics on that song. But I will say that I really like that song a lot, I just wish he would of choosen another way to express his discontent.

Honestly I'm suprised Axl has not revisited that song, replace those words and we have a great song. I would go as far as to say it's the best song on lies, or it could have been. He just should have changed 4 words.

Sorry, but I think that's absolute fucking bullshit. Society teaches you to believe that what he said was wrong. It's not. People are entitled to their thoughts and opinions, regardless of what they are. Actions are a different story. It's no secret that Axl was the small town white boy who felt this way due to various personal encounters and experiences. The guy comes from the sticks of Indiana to a big city like Los Angeles. If we're being honest, it's not all that unimaginable that he may have thought and felt the things that he did. He is entitled to these thoughts and free to express them. Anyone who says that he should replace certain words for it to be a great song is just afraid to admit - out of fear of being labeled a racist - that most of us feel certain thoughts or opinions at one time or another throughout our lives that many would view as hateful or not politically correct. Any one who claims otherwise is lying or full of shit. Take your choice.

Seriously ... fuck changing the lyrics. They are fine as is and represent a period of the man's life. Get over it. It's only been over 25 years.

Edited by Slash is Cancer
  • Like 1

One in a Million to was basically a store of when he set out on his quest to make it to Cali. The things he experienced along the way from the low points to making to what he felt was the top. Why he choose to put those words in the song, I have no idea, it could have been just what he had to deal with along the way, which an argument could be made that they still be left out. But from the artist stand point they where very powerful and a part of what he went through and he felt as and artist he shouldn't be censored. Or it was for the shock factor to sell more albums. I really doubt the later because at that time they could have put out just about anything and it would have sold very very well.

To it was nothing my than and artist express HIS view if what he seen and went through on the way up the latter of success.

If black people want to get pissed about the N word then 70% of rap records should be taken off the shelf, the number is probably higher but just to prove a point.

As far a homosexuals he went on to play with Elton John several times, he was a big part of the Freddie Mercury tribute concert. Also I think Robin went both ways and he was in the band, I have no real info to back it up but when I listen to old interviews it just seems that way. And if I am wrong I am sorry.

As far as immigrants he had no ides what they where saying and could have been screwed by them because of the language barrier, I think this was I pretty big deal to him more so than the other 2 things I point out, if you are going to live here you need to learn the language just as people in other countries say if visitors or people that have moved there come in can't get from point a to point b without needing someone to explain in to them in the English language.

One other point I would like to make.

One In a Million was the ONLY time that Axl used the N work, immagrants and F*****ts in a song, I don't know him behind closed doors so beyond that and explaining in an interview that it never happened again.

If he was really a racist, angainst immigrants and homosexuals don't you think he would use those words in his music beyond One in a Million. He was never one to hold him mouth or back down due to negitive press.

I don't think he liked the reaction from the media about the song On in a Million because he was not none of those things they made him out to be.

Do you really think he would have backed down to the press or record company if that was truely the way he felt? No wouldn't happen if the record company faught him he would have done it live on stage, but since that wasn't the type of person he was he never done it.

I am not saying it is right what he done but he is an artist and expressed his struggle coming up in the music seen and artists where and are given alot of slack by the record companies in what they say and do.

So by serveral peoples point of veiw here if you say any of the 3 things he said only once then you are a racist ect...... So what about the blacks and there use of the word they hate so much??????????

As far as it being a free speech thing, Axl has every right to say what he wants to and people have every right to call what he said racist, which it blatantly is. Freedom of speech is the freedom to express yourself, not freedom from the consequences of that expression.

Maybe he was a racist and wrote a racist lyric.

But most times a racist doesn't deny it.

I would say in that situation he thought a racist thing, but he doesnt hate people because the color of their skin.

He didn't hate Slash or Lenny Kravitz, he liked NWA.

Edited by wasted

Maybe he was a racist and wrote a racist lyric.

But most times a racist doesn't deny it.

I would say in that situation he thought a racist thing, but he doesnt hate people because the color of their skin.

He didn't hate Slash or Lenny Kravitz, he liked NWA.

You can say something racist and not be racist. You also can say something racist 25 years ago and that doesn't mean you're racist now. The only concerning part is that after multiple opportunities to think it over and change it, he didn't. He was perfectly fine with presenting himself as racist, homophobic and xenophobic. That or he deluded himself into believing what he said didn't indicate those qualities. I doubt he ever was racist, but he surely was ignorant white trash.

An equally fair question is why didn't Slash fight harder to change or get rid of the lyric? The explanation of not wanting to rock the boat and thinking it wasn't worth fighting about is understandable, if not spineless.

Edit: *multiple was autocorrected to multiethnic, somewhat ironically. Just for reference for potential future quotations with the original mistake

Edited by TeeJay410

I'm not going to defend Axl's given choice of lyrics on that song. But I will say that I really like that song a lot, I just wish he would of choosen another way to express his discontent.

Honestly I'm suprised Axl has not revisited that song, replace those words and we have a great song. I would go as far as to say it's the best song on lies, or it could have been. He just should have changed 4 words.

Sorry, but I think that's absolute fucking bullshit. Society teaches you to believe that what he said was wrong. It's not. People are entitled to their thoughts and opinions, regardless of what they are. Actions are a different story. It's no secret that Axl was the small town white boy who felt this way due to various personal encounters and experiences. The guy comes from the sticks of Indiana to a big city like Los Angeles. If we're being honest, it's not all that unimaginable that he may have thought and felt the things that he did. He is entitled to these thoughts and free to express them. Anyone who says that he should replace certain words for it to be a great song is just afraid to admit - out of fear of being labeled a racist - that most of us feel certain thoughts or opinions at one time or another throughout our lives that many would view as hateful or not politically correct. Any one who claims otherwise is lying or full of shit. Take your choice.

Seriously ... fuck changing the lyrics. They are fine as is and represent a period of the man's life. Get over it. It's only been over 25 years.

I wouldn't change the lyrics now. But I would say there has been no upside to their use. Any debate concluded you shouldn't say that.

The only thing it did was give GNR more of a street edge. Like they really come from an ignorant place.

Other plus was controversy, record sales, hype, debate I guess.

Do you think Don't Damn Me was an apology?