For the older members on here...

It was exactly what we needed. A total departure from classic GNR. Problem was, it had been 8 years and the only thing anyone wanted was classic GNR. So it was perfect, the timing just hadn't set in yet that this was the best we'd get post classic Guns break up. If this had happened in 2006 and the community was more aware that Axl was moving on, this would have been the greatest thing ever.

• Like 3

That dance/nunchuck routine was the least rock and roll thing ever.

Honestly, Axl allowing this to happen was really fucking brave.

I mean, if your definition of rock n roll is Slash smoking a cigarette while soloing then I guess this isn't that. I just think that given the circumstances of what GNR's image is expected to be, this was quite gutsy and admirable.

• Like 1

I saw Buckethead with GNR live five times in 2002. After Axl, he was the most curious figure on the stage. I was glad that Axl didn't simply try to replace Slash with an impersonator but with someone who was very different.

Buckethead was the guitar player who I'd use when my friends would suggest it wasn't GNR because it didn't have Slash. Maybe so, I'd respond, but nobody can argue that the guy couldn't play and didn't bring something to the table.

Love him or hate, he was unique in the band. He made the band feel different in a good way.

• Like 1

I always thought of him as a freak. I did back then and I do so now. Having read the insanity he pulled off in the studio made me shake my head even more. A bitchsmack is what might have helped him back then. Sure he can play but so can many others...at least as far as Guns material is concerned. I would take Slash over Buckethead any given day because as far as I'm concerned I relate more to the feel of the playing insted of the technique.

I just saw it as the same kind of thing as Matt's drum solo or the various solos. Oxygen break! Part of the whole theatre of GNR. I think Bucket played the Star Wars theme at the show I went to, which I saw as the new Godfather theme. It was a hint at the direction this band were going in.

It was exactly what we needed. A total departure from classic GNR. Problem was, it had been 8 years and the only thing anyone wanted was classic GNR. So it was perfect, the timing just hadn't set in yet that this was the best we'd get post classic Guns break up. If this had happened in 2006 and the community was more aware that Axl was moving on, this would have been the greatest thing ever.

definitely this.

I always thought of him as a freak. I did back then and I do so now. Having read the insanity he pulled off in the studio made me shake my head even more. A bitchsmack is what might have helped him back then. Sure he can play but so can many others...at least as far as Guns material is concerned. I would take Slash over Buckethead any given day because as far as I'm concerned I relate more to the feel of the playing insted of the technique.

Buckethead's feel AND technique can't be questioned.

I remember downloading the OP video off of Napster or Limewire or whatever back in the day lol.

Dunno if I had any real opinion on Bucket at the time, I was a kid and just knew that GnR went from having Slash to a weird guy with a KFC bucket and mask but that, in Ozzy's words he "plays like a motherfucker."

All of the Buckethead stories are gold tho. Definitely confirms that truth is stranger than fiction.

Edited by jbhutto

Yep, remember watchin that live. I loved the old band, bought the Illusions the day they came out (10 years old at the time)... So the step that Axl took were really out there compared to the old band, but I loved it. I considered it exciting, the opening screams of WTTJ, Brains drumming and the amazing Buckethead on guitar of whom I had not heard before. I loved the new song instantly (minus Silky-worms) and at the very end of the show Nightrain was maybe the moment of the show for me - the solos :wow:

After that I was super excited and just wanted to hear more and get the album. Badly. It restored my faith in Axls vision and song writing ability. And Buckethead made me a true believer in unique guitar work in the GnR context without Slash. Sadly it turned out to be a bummer from there on, never got to see that lineup live - had tickets to the cancelled tour thou. The album took forever and all the lineup changes have made the band worse to my liking and I cant stand to wait for another studio album in the same style as I waited for CD. So the state of affairs is poor.

To me, the only problem with RIR3 was the fact that Axl did not keep his shirt buttoned.

That whole period was a fucking travesty to me. It honestly made me a bit depressed to see what had happened to my favorite band. Not just Bucket, even though his whole retarded gimmick was a major contributing factor, but everything. Axl sounded what is still the worst in his career to me. Finck looked even more ridiculous than Bucket and didn't even have the ability to do any justice to the classic material. At no point before or since did I want a reunion more.