For the older members on here...

Better, If The World, Sorry, This I Love are the singles. I'm pretty certain of this now.

Really? You're certain of this now (five years after the album came out)?

I'm fairly certain you won't find much consensus on your certain list of singles.

Personally, I've never listened to Sorry and heard much radio appeal. Most of my friends who heard If the World during the credits of Body of Lies hated it immediately.

I'm of the belief that people put way too much emphasis on singles, especially with respect to a band like GNR. 99 percent of the music buying public could give a rats ass regarding new GNR music. GNR is a nostalgia band, has been since their return. It's nostalgia that drives nearly every person to go see them. Most rock bands these days don't sell what they once did. Other than maybe Mumford and Sons, Coldplay, and Kings of Leon, few bands still captivate the public's attention with respect to new music.

Look at Pearl Jam, who received large radio play for its first two singles of its latest album, Lightening Bolt. It managed to sell 166,000 albums its first week despite heavy saturation on rock-formatted radio stations. GNR was never going to post Eminem/Kanye like sales numbers regardless of what songs were chosen. There are the rare exceptions, like AC/DC, but generally speaking the legacy bands who still manage to sell well the first week out are those who have retained the core players and release new material sporadically.

What Buckethead brought through his amazing talent and strange presentation was curiosity and interest from a public with tepid interest in a band that hadn't produced anything for over a decade. He was a brand that brought new interest, not renewed interest. The friends who saw GNR in 2002 with me will recall Buckethead's performances and solo while having nothing to say (or little memory of) the new material they heard from GNR those nights.

Buckethead + finck + brain was our only hope of having a band with integrity and individuality, charisma and talent.

The band now is a bunch of "in it for the $$$" wannabe rock stars.

The only chance axl has of any kind of mediocre success is to get those 3 back !!

Look at Pearl Jam, who received large radio play for its first two singles of its latest album, Lightening Bolt. It managed to sell 166,000 albums its first week despite heavy saturation on rock-formatted radio stations.

Didn't CD do 260,000 in it's first week?

Look at Pearl Jam, who received large radio play for its first two singles of its latest album, Lightening Bolt. It managed to sell 166,000 albums its first week despite heavy saturation on rock-formatted radio stations.

Could be, but in 2008, piracy wasn't so strong as it is now. I know you think CD is the only album ever to have suffered cause of piracy, but here I am using the same excuse to explain why PJ's last album may have sold less than CD.

Could be, but in 2008, piracy wasn't so strong as it is now. I know you think CD is the only album ever to have suffered cause of piracy, but here I am using the same excuse to explain why PJ's last album may have sold less than CD.

Music piracy has existed since the 80s and even maybe before but you are correct...it is getting worse.

You are very wrong about that. Online music services like Spotify are drastically reducing piracy. In Norway alone, piracy has dropped 80% since 2008 and while nowhere else has reduced that drastically, it is a worldwide trend.

My opinion is, don't make crap music and so many people won't steal it. You can't prevent music piracy, but you can counter act it. You counter act it by making music that gets people excited again. Music that makes you want to buy the actual album, music that makes you want to buy t shirts and stickers, music that makes you want to go to the concert. People don't sell 10 million albums much anymore, so times have definatly changed. But if you make music that gets people excited again, I think everything will be ok in the long run. But when the industry is shoveling shit down our throat, might as well steal it. Who wants to pay for shit anyways?

And your point is?

Back when it happened, my first reaction was: What happened to my favorite band? You got to be kidding me!

I was disappointed and after that I had to laugh so hard about Buckethead. He might be one of the most gifted guitarist, but common that bucket, that dance! :lol:.

Edited by MB.

And your point is?

That 260k is a very skewed number, btw.

Myself...along with just about every member of this forum bought multiple copies of the album....I remember reading about fans buying dozens of the vinyl version, etc.....

I still say that Buckethead was not a good rep of GNR.

I know most musicians have their own thing, but he just seemed like a joke to me. Why the mask? Why the bucket?

I never understood it and since GNR wasn't high profile here during his time, I never really paid much attention to who was in the band. GNR never played Dallas in those twenty years, so my attention was on my family and other bands I liked.

And your point is?

Then it sold 260,000 more copies over the following five years!

My opinion is, don't make crap music and so many people won't steal it. You can't prevent music piracy, but you can counter act it. You counter act it by making music that gets people excited again. Music that makes you want to buy the actual album, music that makes you want to buy t shirts and stickers, music that makes you want to go to the concert. People don't sell 10 million albums much anymore, so times have definatly changed. But if you make music that gets people excited again, I think everything will be ok in the long run. But when the industry is shoveling shit down our throat, might as well steal it. Who wants to pay for shit anyways?

Or in Guns' case (with the 06 and 08 leaks) you didn't even have the choice to buy the music...what a fail.

I was young at the time, but I remember thinking it was a freakshow, I still do. The whole band was. You had Buckethead, Robin, Axl's braids and jerseys, Tommy always looking drunk, Pitman, It was a freakshow.

That said, it wasn't a bad thing. They were all great players and I felt they could've done a lot together as a band. The freakshow image would've made the new band recognizable had they stuck together and released chinese democracy in 2002/2003.

I was embarrassed to be a fan at the time, if I'm being honest. I've since become a huge fan of Buckethead, but I just "didn't get it" then. GN'R had been the most dangerous band in the world, and reappeared looking like some kind of circus act. But over time my opinions changed and I just began to accept it for what it was.

fucking retarded doing a Buckethead show in the middle of a GNR show..... I dig BH but he is way to talented to be with this lot....

most of his material isnt meant to have vocals put on it... and are better off instrumentals.

I never saw that live as I was just 10 but first time I saw that I thought it was ridiculous. Only when I came to know BH's solo work I started loving him. But still, he should have just played one of his kickass solo songs and blown people's minds.

Buckethead has this nice light lyrical tone in his playing. Is it something which

can be replicated, meaning how much does it have to do with his guitar and all

the switches and such?

Has he ever mentioned what he is hearing in his head when he is playing?

To me it sounds like he is listening and interpreting flutes and harps (or something

else fluidy and flowing). I could be all wrong, maybe he is channeling feelings of

happy chickens on their favorite Disneyland rides.

He is maybe on his best in studio, his stage gear and style is quite "unique".