Be honest, how did you feel about Tracy and Roberta? Did it tarnish the rock n' roll aspect of GnR for you?

I'm just curious what people thought of Tracy & Roberta. I definitely think it tarnished the rock n' roll aspect of GnR at the time. I was not a fan, even though they can sing and were nice ladies.

Side question: Do you think they were more extraneous than Chris Pitman?

I don't think the band was ever the same after they left.

But seriously, I get what you mean, although for some reason they never bothered me. To me, they do seem less extraneous than Pitman. I don't know. I felt the band was already expanding and getting bigger at that point anyway. It only seemed natural to add some backup singers. It wasn't like they stopped playing certain songs because the backup singers were there, and there was definitely little focus on them. I had no problems with them, as opposed to Pitman where I don't see for the life of me why there needs to be two keyboards onstage. Also, Tracey and Roberta never actually seemed to be part of the band, whereas Pitman is considered a serious member. That bothers me more than T & R's presence.

• Like 2

I'm just curious what people thought of Tracy & Roberta. I definitely think it tarnished the rock n' roll aspect of GnR at the time. I was not a fan, even though they can sing and were nice ladies.

Side question: Do you think they were more extraneous than Chris Pitman?

I felt nothing for Tracy and Roberta tbecause hey were backing singers

They had extra anus over Chris Pitman though because there was two of them and only one of Chris Pitman

I remember it in 1992. Most people first saw them on Paris PPV and then when the Tokyo VHS was released shortly after.

I don't remember anyone caring or thinking too much of it. I do remember watching them with friends and no one said anything of recollection.

The Stones did it as with other big bands. They were huge in 92' so it just sorta fit.

I have no quarrels against them personally, but I don't think they really should have ever been in the touring lineup at all. They were just added to satisfy Axl's grand pretensions.

They're great singers, don't get me wrong, but their role reminds me an awful lot of what Lisa and Bernard do for the Rolling Stones to compensate the fact that they are out of their prime. Granted, GNR was still kicking a shitload of ass during the UYI tour and whatnot, but they weren't needed.

That being said though, I don't hate them at all. That hatred is reserved for Chris Pitman because at least Tracy and Roberta added something decent that could be noticed in the music.

• Like 2

Totally hated all the extra musicians.

It was bad enough they lost Steven and then Izzy. To me, when they came back for the Illusion tour, it was like a totally different band. The stage was cool but Axl running around was wierd, plus all the jumping off stuff seemed out of character for him, to me anyways.

Off topic: I'll never like ' Gimme Some Reggae'.

They went to big way to soon. Had they been able to wait until say now, all off that extra stuff would be cool and look/feel normal.

They were fine/it worked for the tour. However I'm sure if Guns had continued they would not have been a part. Also- they weren't a part of every song, just a few....not that big a deal and Nov Rain and KOHD that tour were epic.

Edited by Snowmass
  • Like 1

Tarnish......you mean more or less than the spawn of Liza Minelli & Criss Angel that is currently managing to fuck up solos that Slash did while completely wasted? Oh shit, that was my outside voice, wasn't it?

Well I think it's apples to oranges really. When I first got to know GnR, it was the original 5. So the addition of ballads, soft-rock songs, and Tracy & Roberta kinda tarnished the rock n' roll vibe. DJ tarnishing the band is a different thing. And because I'm Axl worshipper #1, I would remind you that Slash fucked up a lot of his own solos back in the day too. But I get what you're saying. I still say it's a different type of tarnishment and therefore can't be compared.

Tarnish......you mean more or less than the spawn of Liza Minelli & Criss Angel that is currently managing to fuck up solos that Slash did while completely wasted? Oh shit, that was my outside voice, wasn't it?

Well I think it's apples to oranges really. When I first got to know GnR, it was the original 5. So the addition of ballads, soft-rock songs, and Tracy & Roberta kinda tarnished the rock n' roll vibe. DJ tarnishing the band is a different thing. And because I'm Axl worshipper #1, I would remind you that Slash fucked up a lot of his own solos back in the day too. But I get what you're saying. I still say it's a different type of tarnishment and therefore can't be compared.

Think About You, Sweet Child, Patience - all came before the addition of Tracy & Roberta. All were on the softer side and the original 5. Also, most of the songs on UYI were written when it was still the original 5. So....not sure what that has to do with it?

Think About You, Sweet Child, Patience - all came before the addition of Tracy & Roberta. All were on the softer side and the original 5. Also, most of the songs on UYI were written when it was still the original 5. So....not sure what that has to do with it?

Sorry I mistyped that and didn't proofread it. I meant that Tracy & Roberta were the straw that broke the camel's back. The icing on the cake. They detracted from the hard rock energy of the band. They chipped away at the band's edge.

Hey that's fine if you want to mention DJ, and question how he tarnishes the band in comparison to T&R. But I made the thread about Tracy & Roberta: I didn't make the thread about "who is the greatest tarnisher of the band of all time?"

Sorry I mistyped that and didn't proofread it. I meant that Tracy & Roberta were the straw that broke the camel's back. The icing on the cake. They detracted from the hard rock energy of the band. They chipped away at the band's edge.

Hey that's fine if you want to mention DJ, and question how he tarnishes the band in comparison to T&R. But I made the thread about Tracy & Roberta: I didn't make the thread about "who is the greatest tarnisher of the band of all time?"

I didn't really notice T & R all that much to be honest. The backing vocals were good, especially live for Don't Cry because someone had to cover Shannon's falsetto. I don't think they made a big impact on the tour for better or for worse. They were just there. It added depth to some of the choruses that Axl overdubbed harmonies to. I would always prefer live backup singers to a recording of Axl's own harmonies, as so many artists do.

• Like 1