Be honest, how did you feel about Tracy and Roberta? Did it tarnish the rock n' roll aspect of GnR for you?

I honestly didn't pay much attention to them. The band and the shows had gotten so much "bigger" at that point - nobody expected them to play in the gritty style they'd had at the Troubadour in the 80s, I think - and the backup singers seemed to go along with that. The only place I ever remember really noticing them was on "Knockin on Heaven's Door."

• Like 1

They were a small part of what made the band seem less rock n roll, particularly in the context of Nirvana. Instead of 5 guys playing gritty rock n roll, there were two keyboardists, a brass section, back up singers, etc. It looked more like an Elton john production than a rock show.

I actually liked them. They had more of a purpose than Pitman/Dizzy/Zigzag/horns/"insert third nipple member here" has ever had.

Tarnish......you mean more or less than the spawn of Liza Minelli & Criss Angel that is currently managing to fuck up solos that Slash did while completely wasted? Oh shit, that was my outside voice, wasn't it?

Liza and Criss Angel?! HAHAHH! :lol:

Tarnish......you mean more or less than the spawn of Liza Minelli & Criss Angel that is currently managing to fuck up solos that Slash did while completely wasted? Oh shit, that was my outside voice, wasn't it?

Well I think it's apples to oranges really. When I first got to know GnR, it was the original 5. So the addition of ballads, soft-rock songs, and Tracy & Roberta kinda tarnished the rock n' roll vibe. DJ tarnishing the band is a different thing. And because I'm Axl worshipper #1, I would remind you that Slash fucked up a lot of his own solos back in the day too. But I get what you're saying. I still say it's a different type of tarnishment and therefore can't be compared.

Think About You, Sweet Child, Patience - all came before the addition of Tracy & Roberta. All were on the softer side and the original 5. Also, most of the songs on UYI were written when it was still the original 5. So....not sure what that has to do with it?

Sorry I mistyped that and didn't proofread it. I meant that Tracy & Roberta were the straw that broke the camel's back. The icing on the cake. They detracted from the hard rock energy of the band. They chipped away at the band's edge.

Hey that's fine if you want to mention DJ, and question how he tarnishes the band in comparison to T&R. But I made the thread about Tracy & Roberta: I didn't make the thread about "who is the greatest tarnisher of the band of all time?"

I didn't really notice T & R all that much to be honest. The backing vocals were good, especially live for Don't Cry because someone had to cover Shannon's falsetto. I don't think they made a big impact on the tour for better or for worse. They were just there. It added depth to some of the choruses that Axl overdubbed harmonies to. I would always prefer live backup singers to a recording of Axl's own harmonies, as so many artists do.

True. I guess a lot of people judge by watching the videos and DVDs with all the zooming in, but standing there at the concerts you didn't notice them all that much. They did add depth to some of the choruses, like you say. I had no problems with them being there.

Edited by aranrod

I saw them for the first time when the Concert for Life aired. Tracy, Roberta, and all of a sudden ANOTHER keyboard player (Teddy) were very much in the foreground. I hated it. I didn't even like Axl's beard :axl92: If the term was popular then, I would have said that they "jumped the shark" but I was only 13 and I've grown to love that performance and not mind the additional players.

At the time it wasn't a big deal and didn't bother me. It was just part if the scene back then for bands to be over the top on just about everything. Looking back now, I do wish they would of stayed truer to their more raw Hard Rock roots, but it was the 90's.