Is Frank Ferrer the worst GNR drummer ever?

IRanOutOfIdeas

Is Frank Ferrer the worst GNR drummer ever?  

227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

does anyone remember the compilation video with all of frank's mistakes and axl calling him on it? if anyone has the link it would be appreciated

Would that not be mean?

Conor says Frank is potentially not a drummer's drummer, but I am guessing he would not want a fellow drummer to be dragged through the mill

They can all drum, it is just a matter of perspective, I presume?

No Guns songs are particularly taxing on drums, which is why they need a bit of flavour. The kind of flavour that could be provided by a more unique style such as Adler's or Brain's. If we're talking purely on a quality and skill level, then Brain and Freese are the best they've had by a mile. They're the most adaptable, most skilled and most knowledgeable. I'm indifferent towards Sorum, but I used to like him. He suits the later stuff that needed a big arena sound, and Adler suits the dirty club stuff of Appetite.

Frank's just piss. He's just lucky that piss is adequate for the drumming of GNR. I can't remember exactly which one it was, but I'm pretty sure it was a performance of Estranged or Civil War at one of the 2013 shows that was just ghastly. Ghastly when I was paying direct attention to it, but that's rare. Provided you don't fuck up the intro to Paradise City or You Could Be Mine, it seems that's qualification to be the Guns drummer.

This. Hell of an example too.

Apparently people can't read past the first paragraph of my first post where I actually elaborated on my reasoning and you would think the hardcore people on this forum would know what I'm actually talking about. But for people who do want some examples...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yYcE0QvNi0 - Well this is just a terrible version of the song in general. DJ fucks up the intro and Axl sounds terrible. But that aside, Frank's drumming on this just sounds so monotonous and bland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev2hIhTblpY - A lot of people complain about Sorum's solo. But this is just bad. It's all over the place. I actually like Sorum's Tokyo '92 playing. The solo with Duff and the "jam" with him, Duff and Slash is entertaining.

But me? I don't like Frank Ferrer at all. I do appreciate how he's actually a nice and very humble guy, but he's just not a good drummer.

What authority do you have to say that? What arguments dou you have to prove that?

He has none at all.

What authority do you guys have to say he's not a bad drummer?

None at all I guess.

I didn't know you had to have professional background to share opinions on this board.

I didn't make a fact-like statement. Furthermore, even when expressing opinions, one should be able to elaborate. otherwise, it's just trolling

I believe that saying " I do appreciate how he's actually a nice and very humble guy, but he's just not a good drummer" is a legitimate and respectful opinion. Can't see any sign of trolling in the guy's post. Compare it to Volcano's post, for example where he often calls the ex-members "junkies", "media whores" and stuff like that....

JFC, the nerve of some people. I never meant this to be an attack on the damn guy and quite frankly I wasn't expecting this thread to blow up either. He's much more tolerable than that tool of a lead guitarist they've had for a few years.

And you know, fuck me because I don't play the drums and that somehow invalidates my opinion on things. I'll be damned before some asshole tries to take that away from me. That doesn't mean that I somehow discredit the drums as being easy to play (Having no sense of rhythm, I get that). You also don't need to be a drummer to note that Frank is a major downgrade from Brain.

I don't hate Frank at all. I just think he's a stale player. Shoot me for not thinking that Sorum is the worst drummer ever or that this lineup of GNR isn't their best. That's really the one thing I'm taking home from this thread is that a LOT of people hate Matt.

does anyone remember the compilation video with all of frank's mistakes and axl calling him on it? if anyone has the link it would be appreciated

Would that not be mean?

Conor says Frank is potentially not a drummer's drummer, but I am guessing he would not want a fellow drummer to be dragged through the mill

No Guns songs are particularly taxing on drums, which is why they need a bit of flavour. The kind of flavour that could be provided by a more unique style such as Adler's or Brain's. If we're talking purely on a quality and skill level, then Brain and Freese are the best they've had by a mile. They're the most adaptable, most skilled and most knowledgeable. I'm indifferent towards Sorum, but I used to like him. He suits the later stuff that needed a big arena sound, and Adler suits the dirty club stuff of Appetite.

Frank's just piss. He's just lucky that piss is adequate for the drumming of GNR. I can't remember exactly which one it was, but I'm pretty sure it was a performance of Estranged or Civil War at one of the 2013 shows that was just ghastly. Ghastly when I was paying direct attention to it, but that's rare. Provided you don't fuck up the intro to Paradise City or You Could Be Mine, it seems that's qualification to be the Guns drummer.

Apparently people can't read past the first paragraph of my first post where I actually elaborated on my reasoning and you would think the hardcore people on this forum would know what I'm actually talking about. But for people who do want some examples...

- Well this is just a terrible version of the song in general. DJ fucks up the intro and Axl sounds terrible. But that aside, Frank's drumming on this just sounds so monotonous and bland.

- A lot of people complain about Sorum's solo. But this is just bad. It's all over the place. I actually like Sorum's Tokyo '92 playing. The solo with Duff and the "jam" with him, Duff and Slash is entertaining.

But me? I don't like Frank Ferrer at all. I do appreciate how he's actually a nice and very humble guy, but he's just not a good drummer.

What authority do you have to say that? What arguments dou you have to prove that?

He has none at all.

None at all I guess.

I didn't know you had to have professional background to share opinions on this board.

I didn't make a fact-like statement. Furthermore, even when expressing opinions, one should be able to elaborate. otherwise, it's just trolling

I believe that saying " I do appreciate how he's actually a nice and very humble guy, but he's just not a good drummer" is a legitimate and respectful opinion. Can't see any sign of trolling in the guy's post. Compare it to Volcano's post, for example where he often calls the ex-members "junkies", "media whores" and stuff like that....

JFC, the nerve of some people. I never meant this to be an attack on the damn guy and quite frankly I wasn't expecting this thread to blow up either. He's much more tolerable than that tool of a lead guitarist they've had for a few years.

And you know, fuck me because I don't play the drums and that somehow invalidates my opinion on things. I'll be damned before some asshole tries to take that away from me. That doesn't mean that I somehow discredit the drums as being easy to play (Having no sense of rhythm, I get that). You also don't need to be a drummer to note that Frank is a major downgrade from Brain.

I don't hate Frank at all. I just think he's a stale player. Shoot me for not thinking that Sorum is the worst drummer ever or that this lineup of GNR isn't their best. That's really the one thing I'm taking home from this thread is that a LOT of people hate Matt.

I'm an American dammit, you wanna be shot? I'm your man.
  • Like 1

Would that not be mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yYcE0QvNi0 - Well this is just a terrible version of the song in general. DJ fucks up the intro and Axl sounds terrible. But that aside, Frank's drumming on this just sounds so monotonous and bland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev2hIhTblpY - A lot of people complain about Sorum's solo. But this is just bad. It's all over the place. I actually like Sorum's Tokyo '92 playing. The solo with Duff and the "jam" with him, Duff and Slash is entertaining.

He has none at all.

None at all I guess.

Only in loony tune GNR universe can Ferrer be better than ANY drummer after seeing that pathetic drum solo vid. So much fail in that vid.

How Sorum can cop so much hate is beyond me with this boring sloppy hack behind the kit.

Ferrer and DJ are well suited for New GNR.

Frank definitely my least favourite, Brain was what warmed me to the new band in the 1st place - I find Frank really annoying as a whole, we just kind of inherited him, and for about a year I was expecting Brain to come back. Saw an interview posted a while back, where Axl had contacted him about splitting the drum duties and Frank maybe not being up for it? I just felt Frank should go and Brain should play the lot. I appreciate him filling in, but wouldn't feel bad if he were to go and Brain was to return - he got paid well!

The drumming on Better is bland. Hell, the drumming on most GNR songs old and new is bland. GNR aren't a drum band. Frank would have to alter the original drumming on better to improve it in order for it not to sound bland.

1 minute drum solo cannot be used to judge smn's skills. To me it's obvious that he knows that he doesn't have enough time to develop a groove so he just throws everything in a pot. I'm not convinced

• 2 years later...
On 26/01/2014 at 7:00 AM, Mysteron said:

It is not about playing drums, it is about your understanding with the other musicians, and Frank is probably one of the sharper ones GN'R have had.

Oh yeah we hear you dude, btw what shit are you smoking again???

i cant get this out of my head when reading this thread.

reporter= is ringo the best drummer in the world ?

john lennon= ringo isn't even the best drummer in the beatles 

Edited by donny
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2014 at 0:31 PM, DR DOOM said:

Wow, I've never seen those clips before...Ashba just fucks Better from start to finish, what a train wreck :vomit:

I've sort of avoided clips (and concerts) of the band since DJ joined, seeing shit like this justifies it.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I've noticed from the clips is Frank is on this massive Peter Criss style drumriser (a legacy of nugnr?). Usually Slash and Duff like to go up to the drummer mid song and sort of, feed off of him I suppose, headbang a bit in front of him, and there is a moment in one of the clips where Slash turns to do exactly this and is greeted by this massive monolith, like that thing from 2001: Space Odyssey, with Frank perched up there with the gods. Slash subsequently sort of gives up and heads in Axl's direction instead.

This might be also one of the reasons why the tempos are so fast? You cannot communicate with someone up there!

On 21/04/2016 at 6:03 PM, donny said:

i cant get this out of my head when reading this thread.

reporter= is ringo the best drummer in the world ?

john lennon= ringo isn't even the best drummer in the beatles 

John could be a right cunt sometimes.

I believe Frank is a good drummer but not in the context of Guns N Roses.

You get that, but he obviously has the job for whatever reason...he doesn't completely ruin the songs like DJ Asshba did though, so that's something.

And Pitsman got fired too, so yeah Frank's not all that bad I guess.

On 5/7/2016 at 8:12 AM, DR DOOM said:

he doesn't completely ruin the songs like DJ Asshba did though, so that's something.

I beg to differ.. To all but enough.. Also has a negative effect most of the ones he doesn't completely ruin.. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to the first Vegas boot and am beginning to see what people mean about Frank!! He is just destroying everything with these superfast monster drum rolls. The band will start a song in the traditional manner, like Duff upon It's so Easy, and then the drums come in and the tempo shoots up and all you can hear is massive drums clanking away.

Did he drum like this for nugnr?

Rocket Queen is mutilated.

PS

I'm not really feeling much from this boot to be honest - albeit the sound is not great. Frank is butchering everything. The second night is better again.

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 4 weeks later...
On January 26, 2014 at 3:24 AM, Amir said:

Are the TWAT and IRS demos from '99 the only things we have with Freese's drumming? Is it Freese on the Catcher demo as well?

The song Oh my god. Freese plays drums on that, the only official GNR song released with him on it. So we do technically have that...