What Are You Watching On NETFLIX, Amazon Prime & Hulu? (All things Streaming)

Ace Nova

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:35 AM, alfierose said:

Watched the new documentary series Shot in Dark. It was really well done and more interesting than I expected, there is some beautifully filmed footage of LA at night.

I've watched a few episodes so far.  Decent series to watch if you're looking for something interesting. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching Mindhunter and I freaking loved it. There are some obvious embellishments over the story it's based on and the first episode is a little clunky but then it really sets into the atmosphere and draws you in.

Dude that plays Ed Kemper deserves all the awards - it's seriously eerie how closely his speech and mannerisms mirrored that of the real thing.

Can't wait for the next season.

On 11/27/2017 at 11:47 PM, Oldest Goat said:

I've recommended this before, but watch The 100 if you haven't already, don't judge a book by its cover, trust me.

Still looking forward to season 5 next year.

I swear to god this is still in my queue LOL.  But, a complete Battlestar Galactica rewatch caused me to get behind.  But, I will get to it :)

Watching UNABOMBER.  Im really enjoying it.  Some times its 'too real' but thats more than fair.  Im not far into the series but most of the story seems to have already played out so will be interested to see how the time lines work (it jumps between two main years and also some others).

I forgot that Ted K was victim of MK Ultra.  What a sad world.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I watched both between yesterday and today. Totally agree, really good. 

Glad to year the second set is good too.  I found the first netflix duo a touch lop sided, even though I enjoyed both lots still.  Planning to check it out tonight

On 2017-11-21 at 12:27 PM, soon said:

Finished Strangers Things 2 recently.  Its good and I liked it.  I thought the punk gang was super cringy though.  I get that movies in the 80's had those characters (a manifestation of Thatcher/Regan era that counter culture people are vilified and infantilized) and they were cringy then and are super cringy now, imo. Favourite new character is definitely Mad Max.  Planning to watch 1 and 2 again.

I just started watching The Black List.  I was completely taken by the first few episodes, then imo it settled into average and seems to be picking up steam again. Im hooked. I love international intrigue / criminal mastermind stuff and James Spader fits that world perfectly.

I started The Black List a couple of months ago and had similar thoughts. I stopped watching network shows since Lost so I’ll throw something like this on when I have a lot of work to do and want something on in the background. 

For me the show is a 7/10. You have to suspend your belief in what’s plausible (the thing that gets me is that regular characters will suffer unimaginable trauma and be back at work seemingly the next day).  And some of the “twists” are either unsurprising or difficult to swallow. 

But it’s a fun show and Spader shines in the role. Without him I don’t think I would have made it past a couple of episodes. 

One warning: if you’re watching regular tv try your best to avoid commercials for new episodes. They generally spoil everything for those catching up on Netflix. 

6 minutes ago, downzy said:

I started The Black List a couple of months ago and had similar thoughts. I stopped watching network shows since Lost so I’ll throw something like this on when I have a lot of work to do and want something on in the background. 

For me the show is a 7/10. You have to suspend your belief in what’s plausible (the thing that gets me is that regular characters will suffer unimaginable trauma and be back at work seemingly the next day).  And some of the “twists” are either unsurprising or difficult to swallow. 

But it’s a fun show and Spader shines in the role. Without him I don’t think I would have made it past a couple of episodes. 

One warning: if you’re watching regular tv try your best to avoid commercials for new episodes. They generally spoil everything for those catching up on Netflix. 

7/10 sounds about right to me. Agreed about the trauma thing especially.  And for me at some point the "heres your next Black Lister" felt kinda cheap.

Spader portraying Rex Reddington could be a long lasting franchise with better writing/ a different 'world' maybe?  Would suit me fine at least.  Some how I managed to even get into Boz, and his one word of dialogue, haha.

I finished all 4 seasons on netflix and am looking forward to when season 5 is added. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went into BRIGHT actually expecting it to be decent, or at the very least, enjoy it for what it was - it was terrible. One of the worst movies I've seen from 2017.

The first episode of My Next Guest Needs No Introduction - With David Letterman was quite good though. Recommended if you're not a bigot or a closed-minded conservative.

23 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Travelers (just finished season 2)

It's got me hooked and I recommend it to you @tsinindy :lol: and anyone else.

5/5

The End of the F***ing World

5/5

You know every time you recommend something it just pushes the 100 back a bit :)

However, those both look good.  Not sure I'm ready to watch The End of the F***ing World as my son turns 17 this year...but Travelers definitely looks good!

On January 8, 2018 at 7:34 AM, Oldest Goat said:

The Crown (Season 1 & 2)

4/5

I couldnt get into this one.  I started watching it to catch up with a women I was dating because she wanted to watch it together.  I went so slow.  When we stopped seeing each other my main feeling was that I was relieved that I didn't have to watch any more of The Crown.

That and it doesnt have any Cage!! :lol:

11 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I've started a new show Altered Carbon and so far it's pretty great and I recommend to all. That means you @tsinindy :lol:

Dude......actually, I am re-watching The Newsroom...but I was going to watch seasons 2 of Stranger Things and The Crown after that, but Altered Carbon caught my eye...so it's next :)

Dirty Money

Really great investigative documentary series on various accounts of greed and corruption.  Only weak episode was on maple syrup.  Still have the final on Donald Trump left to watch.

The episodes on Valeant and Volkswagen were eye-opening.  

The Handmaid's Tale

Not on Netflix (I believe in the US it's on Hulu; here in Canada it's on Crave), but didn't want to start an entire thread on the show.  Rather torturous to watch but in the ways the show intended.  I keep trying to tell myself that something like that could never happen and then remember that Trump is President, so anything is possible.  A bonus for me is that many of the locations used in the show are from my hometown, with some scenes shot right around the corner from where I use to live.  The end of the bridge episode was shot at one of my favourite running locations.  Anyway, if you have access, definitely worth a watch, but don't expect to feel comfortable at any point through the series.