What Are You Watching On NETFLIX, Amazon Prime & Hulu? (All things Streaming)

Ace Nova

On 1/22/2020 at 10:16 PM, Nosaj Thing said:

Watching Seinfeld for the first time.  Boring and unfunny as hell.  Am I too late for this kind of humor?  I don't know if I should continue or just watch something else.  Currently watching Season 2 Episode 4.

I watched the series in full for the first time a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Consider it to be the greatest sitcom.  

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

@soon Are you watching Anne with an E? I've got my mom to start watching it because she grew up with the Anne of Green Gables novels back in Canada and she really likes it so far.

Oh, thats cool shes watching it. I did too and I loved it! I watched it as it ran on TV so Im already done (was a joint production of CBC and Netflix). Really too bad they cancelled it after season 3. Hope they bring it back!

It does stray from the novels, more as it goes on. Will have to see how your mom feels about that stuff. I liked the earlier changes but by the time there was brand new story lines I did find it a bit distracting by season 3. None the less, this Anne is the definitive live action Anne to me now.

32 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh, thats cool shes watching it. I did too and I loved it! I watched it as it ran on TV so Im already done (was a joint production of CBC and Netflix). Really too bad they cancelled it after season 3. Hope they bring it back!

It does stray from the novels, more as it goes on. Will have to see how your mom feels about that stuff. I liked the earlier changes but by the time there was brand new story lines I did find it a bit distracting by season 3. None the less, this Anne is the definitive live action Anne to me now.

Nice. I'm at the beginning of season 2 now and I feel that there's more of a storyline coming into it, first season was more an introduction to Anne and her world, but I still enjoyed it a lot. And the acting is superb. Especially the actress who plays Anne, she's amazing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Nice. I'm at the beginning of season 2 now and I feel that there's more of a storyline coming into it, first season was more an introduction to Anne and her world, but I still enjoyed it a lot. And the acting is superb. Especially the actress who plays Anne, she's amazing.

I didnt realize you were watching too - yeah she's such a great actress! I was impressed by the period costuming and sets too. Seasons 2 and 3 are really great (despite what I said about deviations from the novels)!

I saw you post about listening to Ahead By A Century recently - maybe now I know why? Fantastic track!

You and your Mom might be interested in CBCs streaming service, Gem, for your Canadian fix. Its got Anne With An E and some Margaret Atwood adaptations that are on Netflix, but there lots of great stuff thats only on Gem. Right now Im loving a new series called Fortunate Son which takes place in Canada in 1968 - iirc that would be just after your family returned to Holland? You can also watch all of CBCs show and news, documentaries and whatever is on live tv too. The tier I watch is free!

https://gem.cbc.ca/ 

Edited by soon
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, soon said:

I didnt realize you were watching too - yeah she's such a great actress! I was impressed by the period costuming and sets too. Seasons 2 and 3 are really great (despite what I said about deviations from the novels)!

I saw you post about listening to Ahead By A Century recently - maybe now I know why? Fantastic track!

You and your Mom might be interested in CBCs streaming service, Gem, for your Canadian fix. Its got Anne With An E and some Margaret Atwood adaptations that are on Netflix, but there lots of great stuff thats only on Gem. Right now Im loving a new series called Fortunate Son which takes place in Canada in 1968 - iirc that would be just after your family returned to Holland? You can also watch all of CBCs show and news, documentaries and whatever is on live tv too. The tier I watch is free!

https://gem.cbc.ca/ 

Yeah, that song spoke to me immediately when I watched the first episode, also because of the amazing intro to the show, very artistic and beautiful, so I looked it up... it's such a great song... I've been listening to it since I discovered it. Oddly enough I had never heard of The Tragically Hip before even though they had been around for a long time apparently. They are not very well known around here, but I'm starting to get into them now. 

I tried that website but it says the content is not available outside of Canada, so I probably can't watch it from here. I'm sure she would love it, she loves everything Canadian obviously! I'm still trying to get her to go back there.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, that song spoke to me immediately when I watched the first episode, also because of the amazing intro to the show, very artistic and beautiful, so I looked it up... it's such a great song... I've been listening to it since I discovered it. Oddly enough I had never heard of The Tragically Hip before even though they had been around for a long time apparently. They are not very well known around here, but I'm starting to get into them now. 

I tried that website but it says the content is not available outside of Canada, so I probably can't watch it from here. I'm sure she would love it, she loves everything Canadian obviously! I'm still trying to get her to go back there.

Yeah its too bad they didnt really get popular outside of Canada. Not even the US really. Im so glad you found them! Thats likely my favourite track, along with Poets, Music At Work, Bobcaygon and Its A Good Life If You Don't Weaken. I hope Im not the bearer of bad news, but their front man Gord Downy passed away 2-3 years ago. He had terminal cancer and they went on a goodbye tour. Their last show was televised live in arenas, theatres and parks around the Country, as well as live on CBC. I watched it at a park in a huge crowd of people. Was a very powerful and moving experience. He used that platform to call for reconciliation between settlers and indigenous peoples.

Dang it. wish you both could watch! I was gonna suggest the show Im about to start watching to you. Its called Nirvanna The Band The Show. A comedy set in Toronto about a band by that name trying to make it. I think you could find it elsewhere too - its not a Gem exclusive. Also theres a web series of it on YT.

23 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah its too bad they didnt really get popular outside of Canada. Not even the US really. Im so glad you found them! Thats likely my favourite track, along with Poets, Music At Work, Bobcaygon and Its A Good Life If You Don't Weaken. I hope Im not the bearer of bad news, but their front man Gord Downy passed away 2-3 years ago. He had terminal cancer and they went on a goodbye tour. Their last show was televised live in arenas, theatres and parks around the Country, as well as live on CBC. I watched it at a park in a huge crowd of people. Was a very powerful and moving experience. He used that platform to call for reconciliation between settlers and indigenous peoples.

Dang it. wish you both could watch! I was gonna suggest the show Im about to start watching to you. Its called Nirvanna The Band The Show. A comedy set in Toronto about a band by that name trying to make it. I think you could find it elsewhere too - its not a Gem exclusive. Also theres a web series of it on YT.

I checked their wikipedia to find out about them and I read that he passed away two years ago. Too young.

Thanks for the suggestions, I can always download those shows. I like Canadian humour, Tom Green, Kenny vs. Spenny, Stewart Francis so I am sure I will like this too!

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

On 2020-01-23 at 6:43 AM, EvanG said:

I remember one episode where they forgot where they parked the car so they end up walking for hours in the parking garage looking for the car and that's basically the entire episode. Just them having conversations about nothing and whatever happens while they are looking for the car!

Best part of that episode is the ending, something they hadn't planned for.  Someone on set tried to start the car and it wouldn't turn over, hence that became the ending.

To appreciate Seinfeld is like appreciating a language; you have to learn the rhythm and flow before it finally makes sense.  For me, it's still the greatest comedy on television.  

• Like 1

I just finished watching all the seasons of Bosch. I can't believe it took me this long to discover it seeing as it's one of the earliest Prime shows and I've had Prime for years. :facepalm:

Very well adapted although I understand it was a bit of a mix and match of various books and doesn't 100% stick to original plots. Possibly the best show I've seen that has LA as it's backdrop, really showcases the city in all it's gritty glory. Worth watching just on that alone tbh.

It's not as good as The Wire but it's up there and I love the sidekick guy, J Edgar, who was in The Wire. Brilliant actor.

Watched the last three episodes of Lucifer, season 4. Can't wait for season 5.

Such a good show and Tom Ellis is such a good actor. Love this show. Will miss it when it ends.

5 hours ago, alfierose said:

I just finished watching all the seasons of Bosch. I can't believe it took me this long to discover it seeing as it's one of the earliest Prime shows and I've had Prime for years. :facepalm:

Very well adapted although I understand it was a bit of a mix and match of various books and doesn't 100% stick to original plots. Possibly the best show I've seen that has LA as it's backdrop, really showcases the city in all it's gritty glory. Worth watching just on that alone tbh.

It's not as good as The Wire but it's up there and I love the sidekick guy, J Edgar, who was in The Wire. Brilliant actor.

Never seen this show, but I've read all the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly. If you get a chance to read them I highly recommend it. Such good books and Harry is such a unique character.

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2020 at 4:16 PM, -W.A.R- said:

I watched the series in full for the first time a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Consider it to be the greatest sitcom.  

Love Seinfeld. My mom and brother are huge fans too. Watched it when it was on tv and again when it's repeated on so many other channels. Maybe being from NYC I get the humor. We have used to many lines from this show at so many different times in our lives. One of the best shows ever!

28 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Watched the last three episodes of Lucifer, season 4. Can't wait for season 5.

Such a good show and Tom Ellis is such a good actor. Love this show. Will miss it when it ends.

Never seen this show, but I've read all the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly. If you get a chance to read them I highly recommend it. Such good books and Harry is such a unique character.

I am tempted to read some of them now. I believe they go into more detail than TV allows for.

On January 22, 2020 at 10:16 PM, Nosaj Thing said:

Watching Seinfeld for the first time.  Boring and unfunny as hell.  Am I too late for this kind of humor?  I don't know if I should continue or just watch something else.  Currently watching Season 2 Episode 4.

Season 4 is often said to be when they hit their stride. Thats when a third creative, Larry Charles, got more artistic license and he wrote some episodes. His episodes are a story arch that spans a few episodes - so that breaks with the 'show about nothing theme.' I agree with you that season 1 & 2 are really boring. Like painfully unfunny and boring.

Then another big change in the style comes when cofounding writer Larry David leaves the show before season 8. Season 8 is full of over the top story lines, with a slap stick - nearly psychedelic - delivery. It is a very different show and some people like it the best. Purists dont of course, though.

And its socially out of touch in todays world so one needs to either factor that in or bail on the show. Its stark 'whiteness' in multicultural NYC is especially apparent following the actor who played Kramers real-life racist tirade. Theres the fat-shaming of Newman, which the actor has regretted and said it hurt him. So its kind of 'take it or leave it' on that aspect of the show.

And its also up against the fact that comedy writing has become way faster paced and multilayered since then. Aaron Sorkin (west wing) is better and wittier than all comers so thats not even fair to compare. But Fey/Carlock (30 Rock, Unbreakable) or Mike Schur/Cheslea Peretti/Harriss Witless (Office US, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99) are just way faster and more 'memeable' writers. So, by comparison the pace of Seinfeld seems lethargic to me most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

- Marvellous Mrs Maisel. I saw the free preview on YT when it first launched and I LOVED it. Loved season 1 but now Im struggling to stay plugged into season 2. Too much yelling and neurosis! :lol: Lots of actors turning in top notch performances. Pollack, Borstein and Brosnahan especially, imho. 

- Who Killed Malcolm X? on Netflix. Just started this new series.

- Clone Wars on Disney. Re-watching. Looking forward to the reboot/ending! 

But all of these are slow going. I keep just turning it off after a minute, switching to 15 minute vid of a cutie teaching me about gardening on YT, then back to life. :shrugs:

Just to continue on the debunking of the Central Park 5 Docudrama "When they See Us" on Netflix, there is an excellent series on Atheism-is-Unstoppable's channel. It's actually unbelievable how many outright fabrications and lies the docudrama told. This part of the youtube series compares and contrasts how the docudrama handled the interviews of the suspects vs the actual videos that are now publicly available. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently rewatching Friends, for the first time since it ended in 2004. In the middle of season 5 right now and it's still as fun as it was the first time around.

As for serious stuff, finally concluding Haven, as I've missed it the first time it was on Amazon. Took a while to get back into it, but now real fun. Just a total different thing binge watching it, instead of having to wait for weeks and months between episodes/seasons.

Edited by PatrickS77